Attacked On Beach Road

rafval

I have walked down Beach Road at night in the dark by myself many times.

I won't however, do that when it is very late at night. Then I walk on the other side of the street. I do take precautions. First, I don't drink alcohol. Second I walk very fast. I have a natural frown on my face due to aging and my face sagging and a very stressful job. This makes me look unfriendly. I am actually very friendly. This circumstance ironically has some positives and negatives to it. I never carry a lot money. I don't wear expensive clothes, watch, or any jewelry. I don't know if I will continue to do this walk though. I actually enjoy the walk a lot. I have never had any problems doing this. But again I would never do this late at night. Then it is always walking on the other side of the street at the same fast pace.

I am however, becoming more concerned as I am hearing from a long time expat friend. Who speaks Thai about his becoming more aware of Thai people's increasing hostility to expats. Keep in mind he speaks Thai. Most people would just not think that he does. He hears and understands what others would not. I am rethinking my nightly walks. I love to walk in Thai land even in the full heart of the day for many hours. I have heard people say that I will get sun stroke. Has not happened yet!

Edited by philliphn

The only farang walking on that side of the beach road after dark are the ones that are looking for cheap thrills with the freaks that hang out there. if you are stopping to rest on one of the walls you are obviously looking for some type of action.

maybe if you went elsewhere and paid a little more for your comforts you would not be harrased by anybody.

I go to pattaya very often and have never had a problem in over 5 years. but thats because I do not hang out where the scum do.

Most would agree, nothing good happens on that side of the road after dark.

One look at the flotsam and detritus that comes out of the cracks after dark and you may conclude anyone venturing on that side either has an agenda or they're Forest Gump,

but there are the legitimate, first timers, package tourists, or anyone enticed by a apparent respite from touts, tailors and <deleted>, may venture across the road in lieu of a palmed, tropical walk way with the promise of a cool sea breeze.

If all their systems are on line they'll soon course correct and return to the crush of sweaty evening strollers with note to self : stay on this side, :)

In order to go shopping for these items, do I need to know the Thai name? Upcountry? Anybody know?

If you go to the Wikipedia article for tear gas, and then click on its Thai language page, it appears to be:

แก๊สน้ำตา - kaet naam taa, which sounds a bit like "gatt naam dtaa."

แก๊ส is an English loanword (transliterally "gas"), and น้ำตา naam taa is the Thai word for tears (literally, "eye water").

I confirmed this by looking it up in the online Thai dictionary thai-language.com. There is more pronunciation help on that page as well. I don't know if this term is in common usage, or if there are other names for different types of tear gas, but this wil probably help narrow down your search.

Good luck, and stay safe. I will be visiting Thailand with some friends in a few months, and they want to spend some time in Pattaya, so I may be looking for some of this too.

I have spent a lot of time in the Beach Rd area over the last 6 months and in fact it is quite safe in general, but it deterorated after the police started removing the ladies, unfortuneately they let the pimps stay and then its very unsafe, the pickpockets bf was the first violence I have encounted, if the police removed the pimps I think there would be very little trouble there

At all the larger markets in Pattaya including Buakao and Theppasit markets you will find several stands where they sell assorted weapons (knifes, sticks, baseball bats, bb guns, stun guns). They generally also have maze, usually displayed with all the other knickknacks in the open. If not just ask for maze, they know the word.

At all the larger markets in Pattaya including Buakao and Theppasit markets you will find several stands where they sell assorted weapons (knifes, sticks, baseball bats, bb guns, stun guns). They generally also have maze, usually displayed with all the other knickknacks in the open. If not just ask for maze, they know the word.

On my return visits to the U.K. I no longer pack presents of 'stun-guns' for friends and family because if I am rumbled at the airport; the law says 'stun-guns' are firearms which would lead to prosecution and a hefty fine.

I merely just pack 2 dozen mace sticks to hand out, they are cheaper, weigh less and are very popular as defensive weapons in the U.K.

GREAT! :)

avoid beach during daytime due to rubbish problem, potential confrontations with jestski owners and touts.

avoid walking on beach at night due to pickpockets, aggresive BFs, ladyboys, gangs, addicts, bargirl without a bar and maybe even a crooked cop or two.

the pattaya grand sale will solve all the above problems, if we are to beleive city hall :)

welcome to the family-friendly, high-end tourist resort town that is Pattaya.

Yeah.........another 'Patts' expert. Gosh ! Like this would NEVER happen anywhere else in the world huh?

I walk up and down Beach Road all the time sometimes alone sometimes accompanied by friends.

I suppose there might be a bit of a risk but by and large it is not too bad.

I don't stop to talk to anyway and i walk reasonably fast.

There is a fair amount of floatsm and jettsom about and i am not surprised things happen along there but generally speaking if you are aware of what is going on you shouldn't have too many problems.

Not to be pedantic, but you mean "mace", right?

Since the Thai language doesn't have a final "s" sound (as final "ce" is pronounced), how do they pronounce "mace"? I would assume that they pronounce it similarly to the English word "mate", but then in some cases I've heard Thais with good English language skills pronounce final "s" sounds correctly when talking with foreigners.

Of course they won't understand 'Mace'. That's a purely North American term. Surely you are well travelled enough to know it.

"Spray Prik Thai" is the description to be used.

Banglamung police sold her some Mace to protect her in future. It made me think I may need to protect myself more.

So, the Thai police is good for something, after all? :)

No, seriously, I guess it will only get worse.

Edited by 7

It has been said before, but why don't the 'Volunteers' patrol the two miles of Beach Road at least until 2.00 am when most entertainment venues close.

Easy to answer; they need to protect the public by busting lewd shows on Walking Street.

Edited by 7

You should be wary of anybody coming within touching distance of you anywhere you walk...particularly after dark. If you don't want their attention be on your guard when they come too close. There are various ways of deterring unwanted attention..without resorting to violence.

It's the same with the Indian tailors. Do you accept their handshake each time they offer it to you? If you can sidestep them, you can sidestep lady boys.

avoid the beach side of beach road at night. All the way from North to South. And it is not only the ladyboys as some other poster mentioned before.

If you want to go for a walk all the way along beach road, its nearly impossible to walk on the other side. This is due to a combination of narrow pavements where people just walk straight into me (am I invisible?), having to cross lots of small but dangerous roads, tailors trying to shake my hand ( want nice suit sir - where are you from?), girls welcoming me to their bar (hello welcome), motorcycle taxis( 'you want motocy taxi?'), people renting motorbikes ('you want rent motorbike mister?').

Then there are the video sellers, suitcase sellers etc...

Add to that every Baht Bus slowing down next to me and hooting his ***ing horn - the thought of a mugging on the beach side seems the lesser of the evils :)

lol well said

It has been said before, but why don't the 'Volunteers' patrol the two miles of Beach Road at least until 2.00 am when most entertainment venues close.

Easy to answer; they need to protect the public by busting lewd shows on Walking Street.

Then they have got their priorities wrong: The lewd shows on Walking Street give pleasure to tourists and create business: The thieving ladyboys on Beach Road cause misery and deter tourism.

It pays to remember that if a ferang is seen to be attacking a Thai (even in self defence) then it is quite likely that any Thai observers may well violently attack the ferang.

Remember the recent case in which the ferang caught a Thai burgaler in his living room and managed to phisicaly restrain him. On hearing the comotion the ferangs Thai neighbour ran from his home across the street and smacked the ferang on the head with a hammer. The police did nothing as 'how was the Thai to know that it wasnt the ferang attacking a Thai'

Says a lot!

Also worth considering what happens after you spray someone. What they will do the next weekend when they see you strolling along the beach after midnight.... ?

You simply purchase a comedy latex mask from the night vendors and wear it at all times or else plump for the 99 baht disguise-kit sold in Mikes Mall; which is a black pair of glasses incorporating a large plastic pink nose.

:)

Not to be pedantic, but you mean "mace", right?

Since the Thai language doesn't have a final "s" sound (as final "ce" is pronounced), how do they pronounce "mace"? I would assume that they pronounce it similarly to the English word "mate", but then in some cases I've heard Thais with good English language skills pronounce final "s" sounds correctly when talking with foreigners.

That's not being pedantic? I wonder how you'd manage spelling in my native language :)

I've seen those little spray cans being sold at several markets, and once at Thepprasit night market I asked the vendor what it is. Mace he said, with perfect pronunciation.

Of course they won't understand 'Mace'. That's a purely North American term. Surely you are well travelled enough to know it.

"Spray Prik Thai" is the description to be used.

In Pattaya they know the word Mace.