Special Visa For Disability People

Why would there be. the thing I like aboutThailand is that they treat people with disabilities just like everyone else but are willing to help when needed.

That is not my experience.

It is only a few years since disabled children were denied an education........ :)

No special visas, sorry.

Why would there be. the thing I like aboutThailand is that they treat people with disabilities just like everyone else but are willing to help when needed.

That is not my experience.

It is only a few years since disabled children were denied an education........ :)

No special visas, sorry.

Now the government pays all their education and university fees. Of course the places are still not accessible and they have to carry wheelchair bound people upstairs like they did when I got my licence.

I live in rural Thailand and see no education facilities for disabled children, mentally or physically, other than 500 Baht per month paid by the government. Special schools are for the propoganda and people that believe 'all is good in Thailand'. Edited by coventry

I have heard there is a visa for reasons of health. Not officially listed as far as I can see. If one had note from doctor saying why one needs to live in Thailand this could help, but I am guessing each situation would be evaluated according to what the evaluator(s) see as merits.

What a narrow minded thing to say. Maybe you should take a look around to see how many there is who get “help when needed” :)

I have heard there is a visa for reasons of health. Not officially listed as far as I can see. If one had note from doctor saying why one needs to live in Thailand this could help, but I am guessing each situation would be evaluated according to what the evaluator(s) see as merits.

hello and thanks yes thats correct last night i call a lawyer and i tell me the same for people have healt problem can have a special visa exemple 3 months stay and do visa run thanks again

Yes, there is an option for people to get medical treatment in Tailand or get an extension of stay if they become sick and can't travel to their home country. That is however temporary, not for people with a disablity wanting to live in Thailand and the OP isn't mentioning that he needs any treatment.

Yes, there is an option for people to get medical treatment in Tailand or get an extension of stay if they become sick and can't travel to their home country. That is however temporary, not for people with a disablity wanting to live in Thailand and the OP isn't mentioning that he needs any treatment.

ok Mario thanks

Some years ago there was some sort of special Visa

Just for interest

5. Applying for an extension for aliens who are senior citizens and wish to retire in Thailand.

Initial place to contact : The alien must apply for a non-immigrant visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before entering the Kingdom. Duration of first permit. As warranted by this visa, permission will be given for a period of 90 days. Duration of extension. The Immigration Office will grant him/her a maximum one year extension at a time. Requirement :

1. Application Form T.M. 7.
  2. A copy of a passport or substitute document.
  3. One 4 x 6 cm photo.
  4. 500 baht fee.
  5. Proof of financial status or pension.

If the applicant is 60 years old or older, the alien must have a definite income of not less than 200,000 baht per year or not less than 20,000 baht per month.

For an applicant who is 55-59 years old, definite proof of income of 500,000 baht per year or an income of not less than 50,000 baht per month must be presented.

If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 55-59 years of age, special consideration will be granted. He/She must have a definite income, or a bank account with at least 200,000 baht or have an income of not less than 20,000 baht per month. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time.

hello all i would like to know if existed visa for people whit disability exemple 1 leggs because its my situation thanks

I am disabled. I wish to live in Thailand. I have visited Thailand to see if I can cope. There are no problems just some challenges. There are wheelchairs in most supermarkets and large shopping malls. Where ever I went whether be buses, taxies or other transport. Up and down stairs to hotels etc On sidewalks I found many Thai people would offer assistance with a smile. Disabled toilets, yes they are there. While there might not be the facilities we have in New Zealand. I found the attitude of the Thai people what ever there age or gender was second to none in the way they offered help. It is my decision to go to Thailand, not anyone elses. To those who want to complain and want something for nothing. Stay in your home country. I daresay I will find things not my liking at times but it is my choice. Thailand is a relatively easy country to settle in. Try getting into NZ to live. I have seen people come to settle in NZ love our lovely country and some who complain. So no satisfying everyone. My choice to is live my later years in Thailand where it suits my health. If it does not work so what. Live life and enjoy and appreciate what you have.

or other transport

What gets me is the Disabled parking in Supermarkets, sure they have places, Maybe different in other parts but in over 5 years using the same 2 Supermarkets, have never seen a disabled persons car parked anywhere near, normally the space is taken up by some seller, mostly new cars For Sale, or Bedding, or Music. + almost always when I go shopping I see disabled people shopping in these stores..

What a narrow minded thing to say. Maybe you should take a look around to see how many there is who get “help when needed” :)

As a person with a disabiity I am possibly in a better position than you to comment on the attitude of Thai people and organizations to disabilities.

Hello Harry -- Along with a committee of Thai Lawyers and Political Scientists from Chula, NIDA, Thammasat, etc., all of whom are blind, I helped draft the (English language) verbiage of Part 2, Section 30 of the 2007 Thailand Constitution namely:

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

-- the idea being that, while inequalities in society may always exist, such fundamental conditions as enumerated in the Section cannot be the basis of such inequalities... I have much first-hand experience with the educational situation as regards persons who are blind in Thailand from elementary school right through PhD.

Hello Harry -- Along with a committee of Thai Lawyers and Political Scientists from Chula, NIDA, Thammasat, etc., all of whom are blind, I helped draft the (English language) verbiage of Part 2, Section 30 of the 2007 Thailand Constitution namely:

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

-- the idea being that, while inequalities in society may always exist, such fundamental conditions as enumerated in the Section cannot be the basis of such inequalities... I have much first-hand experience with the educational situation as regards persons who are blind in Thailand from elementary school right through PhD.

I would like to get in touch with you by PM about this. I have had quite a bit of involvement with disability issues overseas. My point in the post I made was that I am impressed by the way people treat people with disabilites here as normal but try to work around the problem. I am less impressed by the physical adapations to disability but it is not so long ago that building adaptations did not exist overseas. The difference is that in Australia I would not have been carried upstairs in my wheelchair by friendly non complaining staff to get my driving licence.

What a narrow minded thing to say. Maybe you should take a look around to see how many there is who get “help when needed”

As a person with a disabiity I am possibly in a better position than you to comment on the attitude of Thai people and organizations to disabilities.

I’m sorry for your personal situation Harry, but the way you worded your post seemed to me as you said it was easy to be disabled in Thailand.

I did not exactly had the foreign disabled in my mind when I replied to your post. Anyway I don’t think anyone of you have it easy here.

However I believe most foreign disabled people in Thailand at least receive a kind of support /disability pension from their respective countries. Something most disabled Thais never will get and either do they have a choice to where they reside.

Regarding Thais attitude to disabled people please reread my post because I did not mention anything about attitude at all.

In fact I believe Thais are very helpful to disabled people and maybe even more so to foreign disabled.

Interesting then how the governement charges foreigners maybe 4/5/6 times the entry fee a Thai pays at, for instance, a National Park.

Interesting then how the governement charges foreigners maybe 4/5/6 times the entry fee a Thai pays at, for instance, a National Park.

Like all legislation there would be a definitions section to the legislation. I would love to see their definition of 'Unjust'. I believe that all discrimination is wrong, and breaches should be strongly persued, because if you allow 'just a little discrimination' then the principle is lost. Just like allowing 'a little bribery', codes of conduct should be enforced totally. You cannot say 'its ok to discriminate in one situation' but not another, the message needs to be loud and CLEAR.

Edited by soloman

I’m sorry for your personal situation Harry, but the way you worded your post seemed to me as you said it was easy to be disabled in Thailand.

I did not exactly had the foreign disabled in my mind when I replied to your post. Anyway I don’t think anyone of you have it easy here.

However I believe most foreign disabled people in Thailand at least receive a kind of support /disability pension from their respective countries. Something most disabled Thais never will get and either do they have a choice to where they reside.

Regarding Thais attitude to disabled people please reread my post because I did not mention anything about attitude at all.

In fact I believe Thais are very helpful to disabled people and maybe even more so to foreign disabled.

I found the above comment by Felt35 to be particularly pertinent, for the following reasons:

My BF is Thai, and is doubly disabled: he is a deaf mute, and also has a learning disability that has prevented (and still prevents) him from learning to read and write. He would probably be considered autistic in a Western country. Yet, he was afforded no kind of special education as he went through his village schools; and he receives no pension or other kind of income from the Thai government. It is quite true, though, as Harry notes, Thai people are very kind to him.

As for Lancashirelad's citation of Sect. 30 of the Thai Constitution, maybe a good strategy for every person who feels discriminated against would be to carry copies (in Thai language) of Section 30 of the Thai Constitution; at the ticket booth, tender cash, in the amount charged to a Thai citizen; if there are squawks by the ticket-seller, hand her (or him) a copy of Section 30; and then walk right in.