Advise Using Unlocked Us Iphone 3gs In Thailand

JKaterenchuk

I recently purchased a US AT&T iPhone 3Gs in the US. Its my first iPhone. I am planning to get it unlocked so that I can use a thai sim card when in Thailand. I have only used regular mobile phones before while in Thailand so I am interested in knowing what I need to consider before purchasing a SIM card upon landing at the airport in Bangkok. I would like to use the Wifi capabilities, 3G, tethering it to my laptop as well as normal voice calls.

1) Where can I access wifi? Any free places?

2) What providers offer 3G capabilities? Is it a pay as you go like normal sims or do you need to sign up for a plan like in the USA?

3) Is internet access possible outside Bangkok in places like Chonburi, Pattaya, Koh Tao, Samui?

4) Any advise on tethering with the phone with a laptop on the thai networks?

5) Is the USA Apple USB to 110v adapter also capable of being use in thai outlets with a normal prong adapter to fit the sockets? I am concerned about the voltage not the prongs.

6) If 3G is not available outside Bangkok which carrier is best for 3G and which carrier have the best coverage and fastest speeds on EDGE?

7) Can I get the phone unlocked in Bangkok such that it will work properly when I return to USA on the AT&T network? How much do they usually charge for a unlock?

Thanks, John

Edited by JKaterenchuk

First DON'T UPGRADE your software to 3.1 - that's the latest Apple firmware, and there is no known unlock and it might take months before one appears. 3.1 locks the baseband down pretty severely, and there is no way to go back to 3.0.1.

If you are on 3.1 already you are SOL. You can buy a new unlocked iPhone from True in BKK which will also work back home in the USA.

2) What providers offer 3G capabilities? Is it a pay as you go like normal sims or do you need to sign up for a plan like in the USA?

3) Is internet access possible outside Bangkok in places like Chonburi, Pattaya, Koh Tao, Samui?

5) Is the USA Apple USB to 110v adapter also capable of being use in thai outlets with a normal prong adapter to fit the sockets? I am concerned about the voltage not the prongs.

6) If 3G is not available outside Bangkok which carrier is best for 3G and which carrier have the best coverage and fastest speeds on EDGE?

7) Can I get the phone unlocked in Bangkok such that it will work properly when I return to USA on the AT&T network? How much do they usually charge for a unlock?

1) You'll have to scan for it. Not lots of places. But some.

2) True offers it but only in BKK. You need a postpaid True plan for this.

3) Outside BKK DTAC and AIS are better than True, they have fast EDGE, and you can use pre-paid cards

4) it works, google for enable iPhone tethering

5) Yes. It works.

6) AIS or DTAC

7) Yes, it will work back in the USA. Just don't upgrade to 3.1. I was once quoted 300 baht and another time 800.

Edited by nikster

I recently purchased a US AT&T iPhone 3Gs in the US. Its my first iPhone. I am planning to get it unlocked so that I can use a thai sim card when in Thailand. I have only used regular mobile phones before while in Thailand so I am interested in knowing what I need to consider before purchasing a SIM card upon landing at the airport in Bangkok. I would like to use the Wifi capabilities, 3G, tethering it to my laptop as well as normal voice calls.

Thanks, John

It's been all talk and no action on 3G in Thailand for years. But you can use GPRS through bluetooth between your phone and your laptop.

One month's unlimited connection will cost you a couple of hundred baht.

• 2 months later...

hey.. I travel back forth from USA and Thailand a lot. I am planning to buy an iphone 3GS(newest model) from AT&T with contract ( I already use AT&T).

After reading this, I am under the impression that it is not unlockable with the newest firmware which will most likely come with. However, this thread is a few months outdated, so I would like to know if it is now possible to unlock iphone 3GS and use it in Thailand.

Here are some questions to go along with.

1) I would love to use 3G, what SIM should I get? This is not that big of a deal, but I would prefer to have 3G while in Bangkok.

2) Do applications that usually work over 2G, edge or 3G in USA, would work fine in Thailand?

3) Any limitations that I should be aware of????

Thanks a lot

Edited by Trollkiller

hey.. I travel back forth from USA and Thailand a lot. I am planning to buy an iphone 3GS(newest model) from AT&T with contract ( I already use AT&T).

After reading this, I am under the impression that it is not unlockable with the newest firmware which will most likely come with. However, this thread is a few months outdated, so I would like to know if it is now possible to unlock iphone 3GS and use it in Thailand.

The 3GS (out of the box) can now be jailbroken and unlocked using Blackra1n and Blacksn0w. Instructions here. Note there's been some reports of WiFi issues after doing this, so proceed at your own risk. See nikster's post above for answers to your other questions.

Here are some questions to go along with.

1) I would love to use 3G, what SIM should I get? This is not that big of a deal, but I would prefer to have 3G while in Bangkok.

2) Do applications that usually work over 2G, edge or 3G in USA, would work fine in Thailand?

3) Any limitations that I should be aware of????

Thanks a lot

I now have my AT&T iPhone Jailbroken and unlocked. I used the Blackra1n method. Very easy to do and I have not had any problems or issues. I checked that the phone is indeed unlocked in the USA by asking one of the store clerks at Tmobile to try one of their SIM cards. It came up fine on the Tmobile networks so I should be good once arriving in Thailand and buying a SIM.

Is there any update on 3G rollout in Thailand. I will mostly be in Bangkok, Chonburi and Pattaya.

Could someone explain how the pricing works with DTac and AIS for their iphone data capable SIM and plan. My past experience has been to simply buy a SIM and then top up the baht when need from the local 7/11. In the USA I have an Data Unlimited Plan so I do not have to worry about Data costs and Kb. How does it work in Thailand? Use the same SIM card and ask them to enable it for Data and purchase a plan?

I will be staying this trip for 2 months so I would want something with no long term commitement.

John

With GSM phones you can now apparently get 3G via AIS in some arias of Thailand, like Chang Mai, Hua Hin, Chonburi/Pattaya ... but not in Bangkok....

If you have a CDMA phone and are in the arias "well" outside of Bangkok, then you can get 3G/EVO via Hutch and Cat.

Edited by Archimedes

Why go to all the trouble and potential trouble of having your phone unlocked either in Thailand or using some software that may give you headaches later? I have been given unlock codes by AT&T & Cingular for 4 different phones which have been used in Thailand, HTC Tilt/Tytn and others with and without 3G or Edge internet connections. Just call customer service verify your account and explain you are leaving the country and need the phone unlocked. The last time there was no wait I recieved the code over the phone, before that it was a 1 hour to 2 day wait for E-mail with codes & instructions. And besides all that it's free.

Why go to all the trouble and potential trouble of having your phone unlocked either in Thailand or using some software that may give you headaches later?

Because most people that buy used iPhones locked to AT&T don't have an AT&T account. How are they supposed to activate the phone?

Why go to all the trouble and potential trouble of having your phone unlocked either in Thailand or using some software that may give you headaches later?

And secondly AT&T will not issue a unlock code for the Iphone because they don't exist :)