Koh Phangan To Be Drugs-free Family Destination

george

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure some things are just designed to pee people off,

KPG is never gonna be a family destination, I took my parents there and they felt well over aged for the place, its a young persons place so just leave it as a such

This is simply BS said because some people high from their bribes have nothing better to do than to make empty promises.

Apart from anything else, when will Thailand come into line with so many other developed countries in realising that drugs are not equivilant to satan and are simply better understood (and even enjoyed) rather than suppressed

Is'nt it just incredible what the 'family friendly' lovers are doing to this country. Since the last ten years, and especially the so calles war on drugs, Thailand has been changing from an exiting, free travelling destination with lots of place for beach parties and backpackers, into a boring 'family destination' meaning; attracting tourists who are welcome to spent all their money in some resort, in two weeks, and then get out! And what about the explosion of beer bars on Koh Phangan and Samui since that time, are they so family friendly then ?? I would say, after all this time in thailand, that there are enough family 'friendly' places in Thailand already with beaches taken over by private resorts, let places like Koh Phangan and Koh Tao be the same as they were before ( for Samui it's too late already ) and let the people spend some money on a drink and a party if they want to, instead of spending all their money in some horrible resort and never return to Thailand again!

Removed statement.Rooo.

Yes stop the girly bars that are taking over the main roads of kohphangan, parties are all good as its all collected and controllable in one area but these little bars are opening up next to restaurants, local family homes, the main school on the island , just all over the place ! and seeing the age of some of the girls that jump out in front of you is just alarming.

where are the authorities there.

Every time I drive past on my own on my motorbike the bar girls scream as though they have just been stabbed to grab my attention. I wonder how many people fall off their bikes when this happens and they don't know to expect it.

They should terminate these full moon parties completely.

Thailand has a unique way of life, why destroy this with the infiltration of Western yob culture.

Sooner or lately these activities will spread to other parts of the country like a cancer, so now is the time to get rid of it before the rot really sets in.

Thailand has a unique way of life, why destroy this with the infiltration of Western yob culture.

Sooner or lately these activities will spread to other parts of the country like a cancer, so now is the time to get rid of it before the rot really sets in.

I'ts just a bunch of kids having fun. If you don't like it.....

Ko Phagnan has a serious drugs problem.

I was there in 2006, tried to score, and couldn't find anything anywhere.

were u walking around in a suit with a thai cop next to you?

Get real. u can score dope at any ragaee bar in the country and Ko Phang has plenty

Removed Geekfreaklover's comment

I am sure someone will get you a pm but them are the drugs that do need banning and a life in prison

Ko Phagnan has a serious drugs problem.

I was there in 2006, tried to score, and couldn't find anything anywhere.

were u walking around in a suit with a thai cop next to you?

Get real. u can score dope at any ragaee bar in the country and Ko Phang has plenty

I aint talkin about ...

I am sure someone will get you a pm but them are the drugs that do need banning and a life in prison

I was, of course joking.

I've been to the party 5 or 6 times and as another poster observed the most dangerous drug being used was alcohol in a bucket with energy drinks. Mushroom milkshakes seemed to be doing the rounds but I don't know the leagility concerning them. I don't think it is the big drug party that people like to think it is.

Anyone who really "knows" the Island also knows that the powers that exist on the Island and truly control events there are not about to allow the destruction of their wealth stream. Thais call this type of pronouncement by the Authorities as "Drawing the Tiger", and police road checks etc., fall into the same category. NYC will be drug-free first.

I feel sorry for the decent Thai parents who's kids become sucked into the "culture" of the Island as it is so un-Thai, but there is simply too much money at stake for anything to change. Anyone thinking that farang control the drug supply are deluded. Status quo will be maintained.

I was, of course joking.

I've been to the party 5 or 6 times and as another poster observed the most dangerous drug being used was alcohol in a bucket with energy drinks. Mushroom milkshakes seemed to be doing the rounds but I don't know the leagility concerning them. I don't think it is the big drug party that people like to think it is.

Mushrooms arent the problem, those guys are usually sitting in a quiet part of the beach giggling and staring at their hands :)

They should shut all the bars at 10 at night or even better lets ban alcohol (a drug) completely - that way no more parties, no more people enjoying themsleves, no more trouble.

We could all gather round a piano and sing hymns.

Here - I'll start it off...........

"Will you come to the mission will you come will you come..................".

I understand the Thai people wanting to reduce the image of their country in the world's eye as a destination for illegal activity. However, I don't know how they are going to entice people to come to Koh Phangan in droves for family holidays. Part of the reason the party goers are able to get away with the Full Moon Parties is the island's remote, secluded location. That will be a barrier to resort vacationers, but perhaps a bigger barrier will be convincing them that the island is no longer a big party zone for backpackers.

If this renovation of Koh Phangan is going to work, they are going to have to really think through how they are going to replace the revenue that the tourism industry in its present form brings in, or they will be met with resistance from those who stand to lose a lot of money in the change.

I think it is MORE than a coincidence we get this news a day after the - no more back to back tourist visa news.

In my opinion this is a backlash from the recent documentary big trouble in tourist Thailand which was aired on UK TV the other day.

It does smell of a 'distractive' announcement, eh?

We'll see.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Another brilliant tourism idea. Let's take an island that is world-famous and unique for something. Then, let's turn it into yet another family friendly beach destination with crappy infrastructure, which has well-established competition in every subtropical and tropical country around the world.

Thats what I was thinking. The reason people go to Ko Phangnan is because it's not a family resort.

I was under the impression that anything to do with drugs is punishable!

Many Thai kids are 'full mooning' on a regular basis and living for nothing else. About time it was cleaned up.

Until (if ever) drug use is legalised then it's irresponsible of anyone to condone the selling or use. Remember that the 'backpackers / foriegn visitors' are only here for a short time, the ones who really suffer long term are the local kids.

So many thingd changed since my first trip to Thailand 20 years ago... and not for the better!

One good thing: espresso machines (everyone its drugs, mines are coffein and nicotine!)

But for the rest, it becomes so similar to America that it has to be a coutry to be avoided!

Too bad as it's still the most delicious food of the world!

Another brilliant tourism idea. Let's take an island that is world-famous and unique for something. Then, let's turn it into yet another family friendly beach destination with crappy infrastructure, which has well-established competition in every subtropical and tropical country around the world.

Thats what I was thinking. The reason people go to Ko Phangnan is because it's not a family resort.

I was under the impression that anything to do with drugs is punishable!

Many Thai kids are 'full mooning' on a regular basis and living for nothing else. About time it was cleaned up.

Until (if ever) drug use is legalised then it's irresponsible of anyone to condone the selling or use. Remember that the 'backpackers / foriegn visitors' are only here for a short time, the ones who really suffer long term are the local kids.

I cannot see drugs mentioned once in the above two posts.

As far as the local kids are concerned it is probably no worse than growing up in any other tourist area with bars etc.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

That was it for the island of madness , at least the local people can sleep better now.

The german guy who fights against that noisy partys getting overhand, got shot from what i think was the party organizers mafia.

Check out yourself : http://kohphangannews.org

I saw in TV also they caught a cute british girl with some weed there which not even belonged to her :D

They want 65k THB which she simply not can afford or she stays in jail with some other thai criminals.

I wouldn´t go there with fear to get in jail in my holiday for smoking a fatty (because i dont drink alcohol) or get shot, robbed..wahtever.

Chock dee from germoney :)

You must have had a blindfold on the whole time if u didn't see any drugs or been offered them. Its well know that u can get anything u wish. I went to the full moon party over 18 years ago and pot, pills and brownies along with magic mushrooms were freely avaible and i have heard nothing has changed.

Close them down and let the youth get fuc_ked up in their own country or as you say closer to there home

I am not holier than thou, but i live here and see no reason why the thais should allow this, (except they love to make the $$ off of it)

PHUKETRICHARD - 20 YEARS AGO - TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY - BEAUTIFUL KOH SAMUI. RUINED NOW BY GREED. there was pot & mushroom omlettes if you wanted it back then. those were great days.

but no, i was not offered any drugs other than alcohol at the full moon party in 2002 - its a dangerous place for dealers i guess, undercover cops everywhere. i do not take anything illegal in T-land. I just think these stories of drug taking are blown up out of proportion. IMHO pot should be legsalised anyway, its safer than alcohol (but harder to tax!). 20 years agio there were no police on the island, it was free and easy. now there are.

what i think is this 'FAMILY RESORT' CRAP should have a clampdown on it. more bars, more girls please..... family resorts are so boring and will not bring more visitors/cash.

I think it is MORE than a coincidence we get this news a day after the - no more back to back tourist visa news.

In my opinion this is a backlash from the recent documentary big trouble in tourist Thailand which was aired on UK TV the other day.

if you haven't watched that already it is available on mininova . i'm claiming fair use to post that here.

Yeah, I agree. Here's the link to the first episode in 4 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Bjmemu474

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rh9SRp9Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0vZrpQ8QU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJXNQEvddjw

It shows Thailand to be a place full of shakedowns and unscrupulous shesiters and a lot of drunken foreigners. Nobody comes out of this looking good!

Hannibal

anything to do with the recent british documentary series "big trouble in tourist thailand" which aired first episode the other day I wonder?

the program on bravo had nothing to do with koh pangnang

Watch again, it was one of the focus points.

Is'nt it just incredible what the 'family friendly' lovers are doing to this country. Since the last ten years, and especially the so calles war on drugs, Thailand has been changing from an exiting, free travelling destination with lots of place for beach parties and backpackers, into a boring 'family destination' meaning; attracting tourists who are welcome to spent all their money in some resort, in two weeks, and then get out! And what about the explosion of beer bars on Koh Phangan and Samui since that time, are they so family friendly then ?? I would say, after all this time in thailand, that there are enough family 'friendly' places in Thailand already with beaches taken over by private resorts, let places like Koh Phangan and Koh Tao be the same as they were before ( for Samui it's too late already ) and let the people spend some money on a drink and a party if they want to, instead of spending all their money in some horrible resort and never return to Thailand again!

Removed statement.Rooo.

Have you been to Koh Chang recently? It seems that the market is turning to cater for families there too. There seems to be a lot more resort building and the backpacker havens seem to be declining. I guess families are bigger spenders than travelling backpackers and the dollar rules. It's also a lot easier getting the families in with the airport at Trat. Isn't it supposed to be a national park?

Anyway, I predict more expensive resort building and no more sun seeking backpackers in the years to comer.