2005 Honda Phantom

billd766

I have a 2005 Honda Phantom with about 7,200 km on the clock and at speeds over an indicated 75 kph or thereabouts I get a lot of vibration from the engine.

I have only done about 1600 km and it has been like it since I got the bike.

I can ride it at an indicated 110 kph and it still vibrates about the same.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be?

I live near Khampaeng Phet but if anybody knows of a really good Honda Phantom workshop even down as far as BKK who speak reasonable English that would help a lot.

Perhaps the engine needs stripping down and rebuilding etc.

I honestly have no real idea as I have ridden motorbikes for a while on and off but I have never stripped and rebuilt one as I used to do a long time ago with cars.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

I have a 2005 Honda Phantom with about 7,200 km on the clock and at speeds over an indicated 75 kph or thereabouts I get a lot of vibration from the engine.

I have only done about 1600 km and it has been like it since I got the bike.

I can ride it at an indicated 110 kph and it still vibrates about the same.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be?

I live near Khampaeng Phet but if anybody knows of a really good Honda Phantom workshop even down as far as BKK who speak reasonable English that would help a lot.

Perhaps the engine needs stripping down and rebuilding etc.

I honestly have no real idea as I have ridden motorbikes for a while on and off but I have never stripped and rebuilt one as I used to do a long time ago with cars.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Driveline or wheels?

I have a 2007 Phantom and that also vibrates heavily, in the driveline . I have replaced the tyres, sprockets and chain, had it serviced and the Honda mechanic says its running fine. It stopped 60% of the chain rattle but did nothing to the vibration. I am begining to think its the nature of the beast.

Edited by waza

Can't say that my Phantom ever vibrated to any extent. Got a little 'buzzy' at really high revs, 110-120 kph but didn't go there often.

Maybe check the engine mounts to see if any have come loose but hard to give a diagnosis from what you have said so far.

Where do you fell the vibration? Through the bars, footpegs, seat?

Can't say that my Phantom ever vibrated to any extent. Got a little 'buzzy' at really high revs, 110-120 kph but didn't go there often.

Maybe check the engine mounts to see if any have come loose but hard to give a diagnosis from what you have said so far.

All of the above

All Phantoms have some vibration through the bars at around 75km up .It makes your hands tingle and go numb on a long ride of 2 or more hours .Other than the bars there should be no other vibration .

Sorry can't agree with you there Thaifan.

Mine was slightly buzzy but only at top speed, maybe I had a good one!

The rubber mountings on bars and pegs kept it smooth, mirrrors were always crystal clear.

From personal experience I'm at a loss to explain why the OP feels vibration anywhere he touches the bike, worth trying to take it higher in the Honda ranks I feel.

All Phantoms have some vibration through the bars at around 75km up .It makes your hands tingle and go numb on a long ride of 2 or more hours .Other than the bars there should be no other vibration .

Sorry can't agree with you there Thaifan.

Mine was slightly buzzy but only at top speed, maybe I had a good one!

The rubber mountings on bars and pegs kept it smooth, mirrrors were always crystal clear.

From personal experience I'm at a loss to explain why the OP feels vibration anywhere he touches the bike, worth trying to take it higher in the Honda ranks I feel.

Same here with my Phantom, been running it hard for almost a year and have no problems with vibrations.

All of the above

And all of the above for me also.

When I bought the bike it had been "tarted up" with a different seat crash bars, nice comfortable wide plates instead of footpegs (one of the back ones was missing as it had vibrated off somewhere) but overall it is a fair bike. I had to get the seat repacked a bit as it looked nice but was too thinly padded for me and left me with a numb bum so that I have to stop every hour or so to get some feeling back.

It has a couple of spotlights working on the high beam and they are constantly vibrating and coming loose. They look OK but are actually cheap and nasty things and I will replace them when I see some good heavy duty ones. They are attached to the bracket by 4 small nuts and bolts and a simple cross piece of (very) thin steel inside and I have use PVC pipe cement to try to hold the nuts on.

I get that feeling which is similar to when I use my petrol strimmer for an hour or so.

It seems as though it is pot luck if you get a bike which vibrates or not.

Would it work if I could find a good Honda Phantom guy to strip, clean, polish things up internally and rebuild the engine and if so does anyone know a good place to get it done?

I have to admit my Phantoms vibrations increase as the engine revs increase, I have had the exhaust manifold nut and chain tensioner vibrate off, but the rear view mirrors are crystal clear all the time. I have taken it to the largest Honda service center in Issan and they say its normal. PS: I have noticed the vibrations increase when I use the wrong petrol.

Edited by waza

I have to admit my Phantoms vibrations increase as the engine revs increase, I have had the exhaust manifold nut and chain tensioner vibrate off, but the rear view mirrors are crystal clear all the time. I have taken it to the largest Honda service center in Issan and they say its normal. PS: I have noticed the vibrations increase when I use the wrong petrol.

What is the right fuel?

I use 91 octane.