Snow Leopard - Clean Install

ThaiLife

I am running an iMac on OS X 10.5.7 and I want to do a clean install using Snow Leopard, I currently have several paid applications

that I want to keep, I have backed up my current 10.5.7 on to an external HDD using Super Duper, would it be possible to do a clean install of Snow Leopard,and once Snow Leopard has been installed and running then only transfer the required paid applications from my backed up 10.5.7. copy and install them onto the new Snow Leopard system so the would then run again.

Thanks

TL

I am running an iMac on OS X 10.5.7 and I want to do a clean install using Snow Leopard, I currently have several paid applications

that I want to keep, I have backed up my current 10.5.7 on to an external HDD using Super Duper, would it be possible to do a clean install of Snow Leopard,and once Snow Leopard has been installed and running then only transfer the required paid applications from my backed up 10.5.7. copy and install them onto the new Snow Leopard system so the would then run again.

Thanks

TL

more than likely just copy them into the applications directory. There maybe some that require u to run the installer again tho.

No real advantage of total clean install for SL. Its not like Windows XP / Vista. Upgraded all 4 machines without clean install no issues etc.

I would just upgrade - it just works :)

Hi , Thanks for the reply, sorry I should have also mentioned that I am also experiencing some issues which I think a clean install may solve ,

so just copying the required applications into the applications directory should do the trick, I would hate to loose them .

Thanks

TL

Hi , Thanks for the reply, sorry I should have also mentioned that I am also experiencing some issues which I think a clean install may solve ,

so just copying the required applications into the applications directory should do the trick, I would hate to loose them .

Thanks

TL

nothing to lose by backing up. then doing the upgrade install. I am pretty sure it will cure all your problems. if not then do the clean install.

might save u a lot of grief doing it the upgrade way first.

Edited by namoo

Thanks

TL

Should be able to do a clean install and then migrate the apps, docs and setting in. Not sure if you have to make your backup system bootable, possibly but should not be a problem. I did clean installs and migrated in from a time Machine backup. Works fine.

As Kevin said... easiest route if you want to clean install is:

- Make a TimeMachine backup

- Do the clean install

- Use the migration assistant to migrate from the TM backup

Used this to migrate to a new computer - 2 hours later, the new computer was the same as the old computer, only a lot faster. Everything migrated over, settings, desktop, apps, data...

I had a problem with Leopard, used time machine to make a current back up. put in the Snow Leopard disc and Hey Presto, less then 1 hour later all problems cured, no data/applications lost and running faster without problems! Don't worry about doing it yourself, let time machine do it for you, this is a Mac not a PC!

Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it