Esaan

bellagrego

Just some fuel for the Thai fire.

Gee, How did you guys come up with Issan, Or, Isan, or Esan ? If the pronunciation is E saan, short E, long A, then any other spelling is way off the mark. The correct would be Esaan . Kinda reminds me of that PHD Thai professor that decided when he came into power after the "Coup", to arbitrarily change "Don Muang", to "Don whatever he called it". All over this place, we call home, are examples of incorrect phonetic spelling by Thais, both PHDs and regular folks as well. No one ever investigates nor solicits English expertise in these matters. I laugh daily at street signs, immigration signs, ande a raft of other English grammar errors. I have had trouble securing educated Thai expertise in marketing and promotion as something get's lost in the translation of my ideas from English to Thai. West to East is a tough transition.

russ

Just some fuel for the Thai fire.

Gee, How did you guys come up with Issan, Or, Isan, or Esan ? If the pronunciation is E saan, short E, long A, then any other spelling is way off the mark. The correct would be Esaan .

How would you spell my middle name then? Ian. Ean? :)

But, Russ, you haven't used phonetic spelling.

And surely by your own logic, the opening vowel is a long one and so the spelling should be "Eesaan".

That's what I love about this forum, diversity of opinion based soley on levity. Beer qutoes ,etc.

russ, have anice day, read my new diatribe on MJ Hotel for more laughs

But, Russ, you haven't used phonetic spelling.

And surely by your own logic, the opening vowel is a long one and so the spelling should be "Eesaan".

That's what I love about this forum, diversity of opinion based soley on levity. Beer qutoes ,etc.

russ, have anice day, read my new diatribe on MJ Hotel for more laughs

Does it really matter, because all that work here, live here, and are interested in the place know how it's pronounced anyway, irrespective of how it's spelt in phonetic English.

Why don't you pronounce Barcelona as it should be pronounced: Bathelona.

Phuket (why not Puket)

Basically a thread about nothing, to which I have subscribed; oh well!!!!!

Phuket (why not Puket)

Heh, you do not wish to know how my American friends who have never been to Thailand pronounce Phuket. :) They pronounce it phonetically...and we usually say Ph as an f (phone, phantom, pharaoh) . :D

I was told it should be pronounced 'poo-get' (which also makes the kid in me snigger) - I've often heard people call it fooket (when said is very close to the expletive) in the UK too, even on TV by news presenters who should know better!

Edited by wolf5370

My husband, from Khon Kaen, pronounces it Is san. I therefore use Issan as my spelling.

Up to the individual but I don't see where the E comes into it at all. As Ian poionted out, Issan & Ian both start with the same sound.