Phuket Acts To Clean Up Jet-ski Woes

webfact

I watched the first part and half of the second one on YouTube... and anyone who is not blind can see that's staged from A to Z.

That doesn't mean that such things don't happen in Thailand, probably they do, but JJ, the marines, the girl and his boyfriend, they were clearly ACTING, it was anything but real.

No can't agree. My guess is that the production team got wind of the scam and decided to follow up. Just happened to be those Marines. It has been posted here by those that know the scam has been on going for a while now...maybe years???

You can be absolutely sure the cops knew and are involved in the scam Who would you report the threats and the rip off to? The corrupt cops of course. When these creeps get wind of money they involve themselves in it up to their scabby fat necks.

A rat doesn't fart on Phuket without paying gas tax.

Edited by harleyclarkey

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai authorities have responded predictably in the "land of face". There are strict guidelines for anyone shooting in Thailand (legitimately). And a major network such as Bravo should follow the guidelines. Every country is guilty of controlling media portraying their country. Even the U.S. has stopped films such as "Salvador" from gaining widespread distribution

So the filmmakers intentionally ignored the rules. I would also be interested to know what the "purpose" and "subject matter" of the series is as stated in the application.

What is too bad is it will make it very difficult for independent filmmakers to shoot in Thailand after this fiasco. Mainstream Hollywood should be okay because they actually show the script in advance.

Freedom of the press. Everyone knows this happens. So why do you think it should be hidden? I think there was no script to be show :) n.

From what I have read, I am led to believe that the filmclip in question was made by a Thai film production company. The Thai film company own the copyright and sold certain rights to a foreign production company.

Right or wrong?

Black Sheep productions doesnt sound very Thai to me ?? You ??

Yes, I agree completely. How on earth can Thailand hold its head up when it has a completely stupid law against making a film which shows Thailand in a critical light? Really, how ridiculous is that? The problem is that these influential people are so used to using strong-arm tactics in Thais they really believe they can use them against everyone.

Suppose for instance that the film company managers were fined or jailed. What would the international response be to that? Some of these people just don't think things through very well, and just have a knee-jerk response to everything. For them, to think is to say, to tonk is to do, no intervention at all from the rational mind.

Many Thais I know now remind me of what I have said to them "Kit korn put, kit korn tam" *sigh*. Uphill battle sometimes.

the problem is, most Thai's don't THINK... they just do... they don't care what the rest of the world thinks of Thailand... they just want our money... period... come to Thailand for a day, spend 10,000 bucks and go home the next morning... easy...

Why bother coming at all?

Just send the bank details (mods kick in???)

I think the show was a load of BS. It looks all staged and the reaction on here just shows what type of people we have on these boards.

I completely agree! :):D:D

What's it like to be paddling in the children's pool?

Out of your depth? :D

Edited by GungaDin

Hi guys,

I watched the first part and half of the second one on YouTube... and anyone who is not blind can see that's staged from A to Z.

That doesn't mean that such things don't happen in Thailand, probably they do, but JJ, the marines, the girl and his boyfriend, they were clearly ACTING, it was anything but real.

This proves once again how almost everything you see on TV is false, and it's artificially made to push some intentional meaning.

R.I.P to this bu****it please, the only way to judge something is to personally test it, or be there.

...so...

... you are implying I have a braille keyboard?

And are you are suggesting

the Royal Marines performed

in a staged reality show

that would most likely upset some Thai authorities?

...can't quite see the motive in that one.

Braille keyboard probably :D

this kind of shows are popular because they look true and people take them as true, but truth is a something different, it means to know the context of things. we live in a big Truman show, and we can't admit it yet.

Ah, okay.

Nothing about why the Royal Marines would want to appear in a reality show.

Just a little conspiracy theory suggestion that you believe you are living in a Truman Show glass sphere.

JJ the jet ski man, Descartes, Martin Heidegger and Jim Carey.

Rightio.

:):D:D

I think The Thai authorities have every right to look into it. Why just because our own societies are full of scummy second rate programs, negatively harming our societies and creating unnecessary fear, should Thailand follow suit. It looked staged to me. As for the fights, I think it is more of a damning indication of how revolting some tourists are than anything else. They are guests here and they behave like retards. Those in prison are in there for a reason. They have broken the law.

By the way there are 5,000 foreign prisoners in UK prisons ! Kind of dwarfs the hundred or so here !

The high season is upon Thailand and we are in the world's worst recession ever in history. People are losing their homes, businesses are going bust and there are fewer jobs. This is the real world. Do you not think it was highly irresponsible and selfish beyond belief that someone should make such a program at this time ? We do not live in an adolescent TV world where no one takes responsibility. How self centered, self indulgent and naive can a human being be. This is garbage television for idiots. In 10 years I have never had a problem in Thailand. I stand side by side with Thailand 100%. Yes they do have problems but does it need spitefully spreading all over the globe; just before holiday season. How clever that is ? What moron thought it was a good idea ?

Try looking at our own countries and if you don't like it here go home. The poor Thai's must be so sick of foreigners moaning all the time. Why are you here if you want to criticize it all the time ? I hear so much moaning and criticizing in Thailand but are we not guests here.

The Thai's know their country is not perfect. No country is; but is it polite to come here as a guest and just moan and criticize ? This is what is so screwed up in Western society and the Brits are the worst. Moaning, negative and unnecessary sensationalism......garbage for garnage minds.... I am English and I am ashamed of my own nationality. Look at the effluent on the program fighting and acting like spoilt retards……..Thank god I live in Thailand. I love the country. This is pathetic garbage TV for idiots who do not have the intelligence to watch something well researched, well thought out and positive. The good far outweighs the bad here. I am so sick of all the moaning whining selfish people who do nothing but moan. Go home. The makers of the film are probably kids who like to sensationalize and read comics. Average reading age of most UK papers is below 15 so guess they don't even know what they did. Thank god most English people are actually quite nice. Shame the bad ones get TV time.

Watching that documentary reminded me of FOX news from the states. I laughed my ass off all the way through it. The useless backbackers on holiday with no money, the cool sound effects....love the children playing sound bites as they mention the paedophile..... the snappy visuals and drama...haha the idiot cop crapping on about Yabba like its the evil of the world and you can't get that anywhere but Thailand....give me a break...all I saw were a bunch of drunk idiots - and I see that in every city I have been to.....I had a great time in thailand for 6 months with my Thai wife...we'll be going back soon. She has cool friends and we saw some great places. We even got ripped off a couple of times.....and she is Thai....those dam_n power boats to koh samet........hmmmmmm what ever...its still cheap and great fun....just do your research before you go.....remember the tourists being charged by the tour operator in Sydney to go on Bondi beach....yeah its everywhere....

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

But that was a Chinese tour company who had a bus load of non English speaking Chinese tourists and would not let them off the bus to go on to the beach until they had paid...............NOTHING to do with locals whatsoever.

So please get your facts right before trying to produce comparisons. DO YOUR RESEARCH before putting mouth into gear ! :)

What is even more amazing than the furore over exposing this scam is the fact that people who have sufficient mental capacity to make it onto an aeroplane and actually get to Thailand, somehow still fall for this most publicised of all scams.

I think it is great that Thailand is exposed as a corrupt country where the rule of law is bought and where tourists are often looked upon as a never ending commodity to fleece at every opportunity. Too many people think it is all perfect in Thailand when the common reality is that they love our money but hate us.

Edited by Mercury

New TOT slogan:

"Thailand: It's the new Burma."

Considering the insanity of this new development, I will predict that despite the Thaivisa mods best efforts, all the negative (but true) comments we expats and other foreigners are learning about and posting here about Thailand, Thaivisa.com will be soon blocked or shut down. It's either that or Thailand starts fixing things, and we know that won't happen. This is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Here's an idea Thailand: How about doing something about the gross corruption, scams, and extortion of tourists so we foreigners won't then have anything damaging to report about your country?

Notice to all foreigners planning a Thailand Holiday.

Why take chances. Protect yourself...

come to Chiang Mai...... not a jet ski in sight...

:)

No don't come to chiangmai we don't want all you tourists up here spoiling our beatiful part of Thailand. Don't have the problems that they have in all the major tourist areas can live peacefully here. If all the tourists pour in then it will ruin the place and become another shit hole like Pattaya full of bars and prostitutes and scammers.

No prostitutes in Chaing Mai?!

If the directors of this video making company are prosecuted, let us hope that the full proceedings, and outcome, are broadcast throughout the World. Adding, of course the comments made by the Chief of the Tourist Police.

Let prospective visitors, before they book their vacation, speculate on what other wrong doings are taking place and not allowed to be told outside of Thailand.

It has been broadcast throughout the world. The whole series, plus the raw uncut video, is on Youtube. Search for "Big Trouble In Thailand".

Too many people think it is all perfect in Thailand when the common reality is that they love our money but hate us.

It's the same in any busy tourist area of the world. I am from Florida and we have a saying there, "We got your money Yankee, now go home." :)

How long before some FW adds a post defending the actions of the jet ski operator, and the police for prosecuting the video production company. AND, for saying it is difficult to stops these hoodlums.

It's not the "land of smiles" (though there are still a few of these around) it should be known as the "LAND OF SCAMS"

And until such time as the realms reputation is known far and wide and tourists stay away in their droves and until they (the Thais) are bitten where it really hurts (in their pockets) these scams will continue.

Two tier pricing for visitors, etc., etc. :)

Anyone who defends the actions of a gang of scum is no better than the perpertrators themselves.

You get what you deserve.

quote How long before some FW adds a post defending the actions of the jet ski operator, and the police for prosecuting the video production company. AND, for saying it is difficult to stops these hoodlums.

I would not defend the Jet Ski operator, but there are always 2 sides to a story. I thought the aggressive JJ scene was bias against the owner because the cameras came in mid way and we never saw what happened at the beginning. For example did the English guy really try to run away?

It's not the "land of smiles" (though there are still a few of these around) it should be known as the "LAND OF SCAMS"

Yes, there are lots of scams here for the naive and the gullible. But surely this is the same anywhere in the world. When I was 18 back in 1970, I lived in France for a year and couldn’t speak a word of French. Practically every shop and bar I visited tried to rip me off.

And until such time as the realms reputation is known far and wide and tourists stay away in their droves and until they (the Thais) are bitten where it really hurts (in their pockets) these scams will continue.

I have lived in Thailand on and off for over 20 years, lived here permanently for the last 6 years and in my opinion that if one keeps their head down here, is polite and respects Thailand and it`s culture, that Thailand is one of the safest places to live in the world.

Two tier pricing for visitors, etc., etc. :D

Yes, absolutely agree.

Anyone who defends the actions of a gang of scum is no better than the perpertrators themselves.

Many of the characters depicted in the film were scum, mostly being the tourists and considering the small areas covered in the documentary, I wouldn’t call that a fair representation of Thailand. This is being hyped up well out of proportion.

You get what you deserve.

True, including those who created and participated in the documentary.

I cannot see the reasons why those who live in Thailand and made it their home, would want to defend and agree with what was shown in the documentary.

Too many people think it is all perfect in Thailand when the common reality is that they love our money but hate us.

It's the same in any busy tourist area of the world. I am from Florida and we have a saying there, "We got your money Yankee, now go home." :)

It usually were the same in Spain as well, when I went there as a teenager. Never felt secure or couldn't trust the police. I don't know about haw Spain is nowadays. But for Thailand as a tourist country, it is really bad when the 2nd biggest income is risked. As a country where corruption is built into the society since long before the tourists came here, there is very little the authorities can do, since stepping on another one's toe could bring nasty backlashes. Not even the highest governmental position can do anything against it. No matter how bad it will hit back on the Thais themselves one day.

From what I have read, I am led to believe that the filmclip in question was made by a Thai film production company. The Thai film company own the copyright and sold certain rights to a foreign production company.

Right or wrong?

Black Sheep productions doesnt sound very Thai to me ?? You ??

Are you sure that its not the "All Black Sheep Company".....................if so, i just think i could throw some light on their origins! :D:D:D:D:D:)

Wow this really is Amazing Thailand.....JJ must have the only scoped BB gun in the world..I really love the Thai attempts to re spin news. In fact it was real gun, what the hel_l else would he pull out to try to frighten the farangs into paying?? Also got a bit of laugh out of the full moon party girl.

When I lived in Samui, it was a well known joke that at the full moon parties the police would work in partnership with drug dealers. Meaning you buy a small amount of some drug, then the dealer gives the secret signal to a policeman nearby. You make it about 10 steps before the cuffs are snapped on you.

Then it is now extortion time at the police station. I agree she was an idiot, but hard time in a Thai jail is a bit punitive for minor drug possession.

I think Thailand has spent a lot of its good will coin in the last couple years. All these endless scams are going to extract a price in the future, and I think we are already starting to see the effects. But in essence shooting the messenger is actually going to make things worse. If the position of Thailand is to aggressively track and punish people who create harm to the image of Thailand, they need to look no further than the government officials who allow these endless scams to go on endlessly. The gem scam is alive and well after many many years...........

Notice how the report looked in the Bkk post ALLEGED extortian by jet ski opperator. Says it all realy after all the post's and video the thai nation will still dis-believe this occured. Herman Goering would have been proud of this propaganda machine in full flow.

These documentaries are just a hyped up mainly excauated load of nonsense.

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you'll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

That JJ who during an interview admitted that he is not a full Thai, but half Dutch, is wallowing in all the fame and is always guaranteed to put on a good show in front of the cameras.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world.

I am sure that for the Thais and the ex-pats that helped create and produce this rubbish are looking at a very grim future career wise in Thailand and perhaps even deportation for the Farang police who participated in this without official approval.

Pure, unadulterated twaddle. :)

Your point about that scumbag JJ being only half thai.........SO WHAT?????? I dont care if he half martian. What difference does that make?

What are you saying? That this scam doesnt exist? I KNOW it exists. I and many other people I know have experienced it directly.

So you are implying that our friend JJ was a plant by the camera crew? That the british marines, including the marine captain, are either complicit in the deception and hence liars? That all the people such as myself who have experienced this are talking nonsense? Are you taking the piss or what?

"It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world."

Eh...sorry mate. Anyone with a brain in their head can see that it is the Thai's themselves who are mainly responsible for the scams perpetuated on tourists, of which this is a prime example. Resident farangs are also involved, but the real blame lies with the thai authorities and their reluctance to acknowledge the problem even exists, their stubborn refusal to take responsibility for whats happening and instead resort to the classic thai response of blaming foreign media for exposing the problem, and finally the outright collusion of many authorities in the scams themselves.

I'm just lost for words really. How you could post such an idiotic comment is beyond my comprehension.

I could go on and on, but frankly I dont want to waste anymore time than I already have.

:D Sassy & Crossbones are not noted for being the sharpest tools in the shed! :D

I'm not sure what you are smoking, but if you think the girl that got caught with the dope is acting then, wow, just wow...

Yes, I am sure they hired the Honorary Consulate (as those are known individuals, not any no-name actors), the police, the lawyers (ep2) and more and had them read from scripts here... :)

What is wrong with people?

I would bet my ass that nothing went as it is shown.

I'm not saying such things do not happen in Thailand,

I'm just saying THOSE things never happened that way.

It's just a show: the show of the bad Thailand opposed to the usual shows of the land of smiles.

Images are only a source for imagination

Similar to all foreigner deaths are either suicides or accidental. If you die from unusual circumstances your death won't be investigated properly, and when it comes to prosecuting someone for the crime the case ends up in the unpredictable legal system where due process will not occur. We don't want the world to know how lawless Thailand is or the fact that you won't get fair treatment if anything happens to you. The wild west with gogo bars. I sorry saying this puts Thailand in a bad light, but its true and I was brought up to speak the truth.

Notice to all foreigners planning a Thailand Holiday.

Why take chances. Protect yourself...

come to Chiang Mai...... not a jet ski in sight...

:D

No don't come to chiangmai we don't want all you tourists up here spoiling our beatiful part of Thailand. Don't have the problems that they have in all the major tourist areas can live peacefully here. If all the tourists pour in then it will ruin the place and become another shit hole like Pattaya full of bars and prostitutes and scammers.

No prostitutes in Chaing Mai?!

:) Of course not, it's a beatiful part of Thailand.

Who said in a previouse post it wont be long before thai visa closes this thread. just looked up phuket room, and living in kata has closed the thread on big trouble in tourist thailand wonder why ??????

Edited by mrukman

Ha! Damaging to it's reputation?! What reputation?!?!

New TOT slogan:

"Thailand: It's the new Burma."

Considering the insanity of this new development, I will predict that despite the Thaivisa mods best efforts, all the negative (but true) comments we expats and other foreigners are learning about Thailand and posting here, Thaivisa.com will soon be blocked or shut down. It's either that or Thailand starts fixing things, and we know that won't happen. If this is the direction things are going to go now, then it is only going to get worse before it gets better. The ironic thing is, Thailand won't clean up it's act without pressure from the west. Do you think Thailand would have dealt with the huge child sex tourism problem without western pressure? (A problem which existed long before westerners became the sex tourists btw) And more recently the tightening of piracy and copyright/patent laws? No way. They can't/won't do it by themselves. Not possible. Now it's time for the next chapter, and this is the first page of it. And I'm talking about improving things for Thai's and foriegners alike.

Here's an idea Thailand: Since it's now time for you to take the next step, how about by starting by addressing the gross corruption, scams, and extortion of tourists so we foreigners won't then have anything damaging to report about your country? Make some corruption/anti- bribe accepting rules and laws with some teeth in addition to creating an "untouchables" division to enforce them. that way maybe instead of making bribery the standard for anyone stopped by the police, or for anyone in need of something done correctly, swiftly, legally, or illegally, by any of the various government offices, including immigration where a tourist immigration assistant recently told me (there is no law against cheating in Thailand) <deleted> does that even mean? Thailand needs to make it's laws understandable, reasonable, and enforceable. As of now they are 0 for 3.

Then, maybe you can get started on:

1. Breaking up the mafia controlled transportation rings. Then you can get rid of the 500% excess of TukTuk's in Patong which aggressively harass tourists and block the roads parked illegally. Make it an island wide operation instead of local mafia controlled pockets where Patong Tuk Tuks can pick up in Kata/Karon and vice verse so we can lower the fares and not waste gas/pollute/create more traffic by tuk tuk's returning empty to their "home base". Also stop the aggressive and rude (and sometimes threatening in my experience) tailor touts.

2. Get some fricken baht buses!!

3. Actually try paying the police a decent wage with all the extra money the government will have after cracking down (I know that's a taboo phrase) on corruption. If you paid the police a bit more, put in place major consequences for accepting bribes, (like termination and prosecution, as it is in the west) it would not eliminate it, but it would definitely minimize it.

4. Make some traffic laws with teeth and enforce them to try to recuce the utter carnage on the roadways! As of now, those with cars driving insanely and/or without drivers licenses (as so many do) do so with impunity because they know at best they might kill someone on a motorbike, (no issue there it seems) or at worse pay a couple/few hundred baht bribe. "Professional" drivers, i.e. tuk tuks, limousine taxi's, minibuses, and tour buses should all be required to have "How am I driving" numbers on the back.

When Thailand shows some progress in these areas Mr. Director-general of the Office of Tourism Development, Seksan Nakawong, and we will stop disseminating information "damaging to Thailand’s reputation." Of course, I know this will never happen. TIT and if I don't like it, leave, right? (And I also predict this thread will be closed)

Edited by Scubabuddha

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you'll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

That JJ who during an interview admitted that he is not a full Thai, but half Dutch, is wallowing in all the fame and is always guaranteed to put on a good show in front of the cameras.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world.

I am sure that for the Thais and the ex-pats that helped create and produce this rubbish are looking at a very grim future career wise in Thailand and perhaps even deportation for the Farang police who participated in this without official approval.

I'm confused by your post.

Are you saying that because this programme appears to be staged that there does not exist a scamming problem with jetskiis, motorcycles, king power, taxis, tuktuks, gems et al? There is no way that you can state that because we all know that it goes on.

So, if it goes on, are you saying that no one should let potential victims know what is going on, by whatever means that work?

As for damaging Thailand's image, they have already done that themselves. No help was required!

Personally, I'd like to see Thailand's tourist trade wiped out, then they would be forced to take action against all the crooks involved ( too many to list now ), and stop destroying every last once beautiful beach in the country. Once they were back to zero, they could build up a decent tourist industry, like it was back in the mid '90s.

Also, they might realise that backpackers and mongers are actually worth catering for, instead of trying to drive them away.

This IS NOT a bunch on nonsense!!! This a HUGE scam in Pattaya as well. My friend is a Foreign Police Officer in Pattaya (not Tourist Police) and he sees the exact same case several times a week. The police take a cut from the "damages" recovered from the renters of jet skis that "damage" them, all my friend can do is tell them to complain to offices in BKK. Typical charges for damage are 50,000Bt which usually gets reduced 30,000Bt once the people throw a fit, with the police getting 1/3rd.

Stand up for the tourist in this situation (as my friend did when he first started) and you'll find out as he did you are SERIOUSLY risking your life on your motorbike drive home.

One more nails in the coffin, the sad reality about Thailand.

The people who run the country have no idea how to re build the damaged image of Thailand abroad sadly and regain the share of tourism it deserves. Perhaps some of the "Farang" like us who live here could assist.

One other idea is instead to prosecute the TV crew, invite them to film what the country is doing to rid itself of corruption. Just a simple action to turn the tide...

I love the country but Cambodia is becoming more and more appealing.

Having first visited and then decided to live in Thailand for some 7 years , mostly at first realy enjoying myself , I was sat on the toilet contemplating my navel when I realised how downhill the treatment by those in authority and many Thai in general had become , so I there and then decided that a visit to Cambodia should be taken . I spent a month there then decided it was far better in general than Thailand , here I am some 4 years later feeling VERY satisfied I made the move to a much more relaxed society of people who actually welcomes you to stay . This country has come a long way in those few short years , whereas Thailand has been on the slippery slope of constant reversal into what I regard as the last place I want to visit , not the country , more the attitude of its inhabitants to its honoured guests whom in reality are no such thing , they are paying(through the nose) visitors .