Phuket Acts To Clean Up Jet-ski Woes

webfact

Twelve years ago I was sports manager at a beachside resort here. We put a sign up at the towel counter asking our guests not to rent jet skis, because most didn't like the noise and the fumes. If I knew at the time, the extent of the scams, I would have mentioned them too. But in any case, the sign was ignored. A twenty something testosterone fueled guy on beach holiday is not going to be denied. It's the same guys who rent the noisiest bikes they can get. But maybe videos on the Internet will change some minds.

Nor will the businesses be closed down. Once the investment is made it's too late. Maybe a more sensible approach would be to register every machine and prohibit the purchase of new (and more used) ones, to give the owners and their partners the cops, time to find a new source of income while they amortize the machines and wind down the business. But with the money being made with these scams, I'm sure they would find a way around that too.

The number of scams may go down some in an attempt to offset the bad PR, but the jetskis are here to stay.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i seeing things?

I'm sure the jet ski shown in the original programme had some fairly serious & new looking damage. The one shown in the Youtube clips (in the building JJ operatates from) has no real noticeable damage, just the rubber side moulding is loose.

Also: as for whether its a set up or not? I don't know. But do these navy lads usually just happen to have 35,000 bht in their pocket?

So far not many VT members claiming that they have been ripped off by jet ski operators

Rented many times in Pattaya, even almost brand new ones. Never once had a problem........... and i "give 'em some stick" too! Leave money, camera, etc. with the owner/rep. (I've got his jet ski which is worth much more) But, i'm not young, i haven't been drinking, there isn't a group of us renting several skis at once, & often i have a TG with me.

Indeed i've had operators make me walk around it with them, pre-hire, whilst they point out any existing minor scuff marks.