Walker & Recumbent Biker &

THAIPHUKET

I ride a recumbent tricycle and I like walking, but health-wise I must take it easy, not steep hills if possible.

Recumbent bikes are very comfortable but also very low, meaning easily overlooked. Uphill very ,slow because you cannot put your body weight on the pedals.

Looking for a place to rent a house, but first must decide in which area. Ideally an area with many small roads and little traffic. Is there such thing ?

This is pure brainstorming which means ideas anywhere in the North are welcome too.

Second question= any bike shop where the owner is curious enough to work diligently on a rather complicated 32 gear bike with 2 transmissions?

http://hasebikes.com/32-0-liegedreirad-lepus.html

I have never seen a recumbent bicycle in CM. Seriously asking to get run over by all the traffic. I would say get well out of town for safety. There are some places you could ride like around Huay Tung Tau lake(northwest of city) but you would want to drive there and then do laps. You would be taking major risks to ride a less visible recumbent bike in CM traffic.

As far as bike shops Jacky bike is probably the best shop in town and they have a new and larger location on the west side of town Soi 3 Nimmanhemin. No idea if they would have take an interest in working on it. I know its hard to find mechanics in Portland or Seattle USA to work on them and they are very popular there.

Chitawak bike shop is better on prices but smaller shop and located in the Old city.

You will really need to visit and size up the roads to see if you would be comfortable riding here. I would say the western part of CM near CMU and the mountains would have the best infrastructure and bike shop support if you want to be conveniently located near the city.

If you don't mind driving to the city for bike shop support and other shopping/services then lots of rural places that might fit your needs.

I have never seen a recumbent bicycle in CM. Seriously asking to get run over by all the traffic.

I think it was last Thursday at around 15:00 give or take, when i saw someone crossing the busy Super Highway intersection at Chang Phueak on one of these tricycles. It did look a little daunting with all the cars and bikes navigating around the fella. Maybe this was out man above?

Regarding service of such a vehicle, unless you speak fluent Thai, it would be best for you to use an English speaking cycle shop. One such guy who's very fluent has a place on the Maneenoparat Rd, past Chang Phueak gate on the left side as you head into town. Sorry, i don't remember the name of the joint.

Aitch

I have never seen a recumbent bicycle in CM. Seriously asking to get run over by all the traffic.

I think it was last Thursday at around 15:00 give or take, when i saw someone crossing the busy Super Highway intersection at Chang Phueak on one of these tricycles. It did look a little daunting with all the cars and bikes navigating around the fella. Maybe this was out man above?

Regarding service of such a vehicle, unless you speak fluent Thai, it would be best for you to use an English speaking cycle shop. One such guy who's very fluent has a place on the Maneenoparat Rd, past Chang Phueak gate on the left side as you head into town. Sorry, i don't remember the name of the joint.

Aitch

I think the shop you're referring to is Velocity. Another shop to try would be Spin Bike on the Canal Road just before the Night Safari intersection. The helpful owner speaks fluent English and is service oriented. I'd avoid Jacky even if you speak fluent Thai.

I don't see why the OP can't ride a 'bent on the Canal Road from Suthep south all the way to Sanpatong. There are plenty of relatively flat side roads with little traffic out in that direction too.

I saw someone in the city riding a standard 'bent last month. Definitely not a trike.

I ride a recumbent tricycle and I like walking, but health-wise I must take it easy, not steep hills if possible.

Recumbent bikes are very comfortable but also very low, meaning easily overlooked. Uphill very ,slow because you cannot put your body weight on the pedals.

Looking for a place to rent a house, but first must decide in which area. Ideally an area with many small roads and little traffic. Is there such thing ?

This is pure brainstorming which means ideas anywhere in the North are welcome too.

Second question= any bike shop where the owner is curious enough to work diligently on a rather complicated 32 gear bike with 2 transmissions?

http://hasebikes.com/32-0-liegedreirad-lepus.html

I'd advise stick to the walking or take up swimming unless you've got some sort of deathwish :)