Relocating To Isaan

lovinglife

Moving from the farang packed beaches of the South to a more rural live near my girlfriends family. They live in Roi et province between Buriram, Roi et and Maha Sarakham, I have read plenty about Buriram and a little about Roi et but cannot find much about Maha, anyone live there? Whats it like? Are there any places to play Pool, Golf and watch the Football?

Moving from the farang packed beaches of the South to a more rural live near my girlfriends family. They live in Roi et province between Buriram, Roi et and Maha Sarakham, I have read plenty about Buriram and a little about Roi et but cannot find much about Maha, anyone live there? Whats it like? Are there any places to play Pool, Golf and watch the Football?

My gf lives just outside Mahasarakham and I've only been there for a few days in February although I'm going back in October / November. It doesn't even have a train station as far as i know which is odd with the university there. There is a Big C which suggest it must be growing. Not many farang at all. It might be worth asking some of the guys in this thread Foreigners In Mahasarakam http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Foreigners-Mahasarakam-t220072.html. There are several people who used to meet up in town and maybe still do so they will know more about what's on offer.

I hope to be living there myself soon.

Goodness, leave the south and beaches? you are in for a shock. Can you speak thai? can you speak Lao? Isaan is a different planet from the south. I started in the south 7 years ago and have lived in Isaan for 4 years. Visit first for a month and try it out. I like it but even my Thai wife remarks it is very different!

------------------------------------------------

Good luck... me myself live in Chaiyaphum a bit from you. But I have lived here now for little bit more than one year. So I can at least give you one peace of advise. And that is when you come up, look arround. make as many connection as you can. there are so many nice falangs all over Thailand. And you NEED to have a network of falangs to have as friends. otherwise it is deadly boaring up here. I love Isaan, and I love to live here. But me imagine living here without friends... no never.

Another good side of it is, that you now will be able to live so much cheaper.. you can relax in another way.. but as I said, look around open minded. Ever coming to Chaiyaphum , if you like just PM me.

Best regards

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Goodness, leave the south and beaches? you are in for a shock. Can you speak thai? can you speak Lao? Isaan is a different planet from the south. I started in the south 7 years ago and have lived in Isaan for 4 years. Visit first for a month and try it out. I like it but even my Thai wife remarks it is very different!

:D:P:) If you love THAILAND you love isan, its where you find the real thais, not the one who try to be farang, and it cheap too and real good thai food! :D:D:D:D:P Been living here for 20 years :D .Best regards chiefofficer chaiyaphum :D

Thanks for the replies chaps, been up many times already and spent a lot of time in Ubon where she is currently finishing her University Degree. I much prefer it there, as someone said real people going about their lives, and not too many farangs hel_l bent on making problems for each other.

Will be up in Ubon for the next week or two now, really like it there but it is a little remote and she really wants to be nearer to her mum. Roi-et seems like a great little city but as a golfer I would like to be closer to KK where there are a few courses and the new Singha course opening soon.

We will be going up that way for a few days to assess things and look at business possibilities, her brother is long term army so he will be coming with us to sort out any Bullsh*t.

Will keep you posted and look forward to making some genuine friends up there once my move is completed, will certainly be renting for at least a year before committing any cash.

Will be up in Ubon for the next week or two now, really like it there but it is a little remote and she really wants to be nearer to her mum. Roi-et seems like a great little city but as a golfer I would like to be closer to KK where there are a few courses and the new Singha course opening soon.

Don't sacrifice your wants and desires to keep her happy because in the end you will regret it.

Edited by ballbreaker

Don't sacrifice your wants and desires to keep her happy because in the end you will regret it.

Harsh words, but I agree with you.

Renting in an area would be a good idea, that way you will get the feel of the area before you make firm roots.

Good luck whever you go!

Dave (Happy in Surin)

moving to isaan can be a culture shock to some more used to the beaches. not sure where you are now, but the beach area's are set up for farang's ie phuket, pattaya where there is lots of shopping centres and restaurants for farang's you will not find these in the same abundance in isaan but maybe thats what you want to get away from, rent for 3,4months befor you make any commitments. anyway best of luck what ever you decide :)

Edited by perousing

Maha Sarakham is a long way from Buriram or Surin. You are close to Roi-Et (one golf course) and not to far away from Khon Kaen (one golf course and one about 30 km north of Khon Kaen). Personally I liKe Korat (I used to live in the South) as it has everything a large city has including 5 golf courses (I play twice a week). But as other posters have said try living there for awhile. Rent a place for a month or 2 and keep your place in the South till you make up your mind.