Double Standars For Thai's In Our Countries?

thailandbluegrass

I have been in Thailand for more then a few years now and am still tired of the Double Standars/Prices for foriegners here for expats.

I don't normally bitcch or complain about to many things but I just wonder now that more Thai's are traveling abroad how they would feel about being charged double or more in our Countries just because they are Thai?

For instance, visiting a waterfall that a Thai can go into for free but they charge us 250 baht or Temples/Wats where we have to pay but a Thai doesnt. Don't they WANT us to learn about their cultures etc?

I can speak Thai fairly well and can read enought that I know what เก้าสิบบาท means. It says 90 baht, so when I see that and for fun I ask Tao rai (how much) and they answer 120 baht........<deleted> !!!!!!!

If I did that to a Thai or Asian back in Canada my business would be immedietly closed and I would probably end up in jail for racism etc.

Would we charge a tourist money to go into a church etc? I speak well enough to get by and not get ripped off (to often) but I still hate seeing it and having them try it on me. Yes I realize we are in a poor country and that the locals do not make alot so I understand that when they try to get a little more its because they think we are rich and in some senses we are comaritively so I don't mind that to much but when the Government does it to us that is a different story. After all it is 2009 (2553)

What do you people think about this and please share your experiences similar so maybe one day they will realize that small things like this are driving the tourists away when in fact they should be doing ANYTHING to attract us.

Also what is with this Government still inforcing this 15 day tourist run crap when they should be allowing us to stay for 90 days minimum in order that we spend ALL our money here wouldn't you think ???????

Same at Lumpini park at nights...the girls working there charge Farang double... I asked why...she said Bigger sausage...Oh well..!!!!

Oh great, what is this, our third double pricing thread in two days? You people just don’t get it. It is not racism; it is pricing what the market will bear. When they see you as a farang, they don’t care you have white skin and big nose, they see (or perceive and agreed sometimes incorrectly) a big wallet and adjust the price accordingly. If you don’t like, negotiate or walk away. Adam Smith at his best. Just because your country may have legislated away the rights of businesses to maximize their profits doesn’t make it right or that Thailand should follow suit.

TH

Oh great, what is this, our third double pricing thread in two days? You people just don’t get it. It is not racism; it is pricing what the market will bear. When they see you as a farang, they don’t care you have white skin and big nose, they see (or perceive and agreed sometimes incorrectly) a big wallet and adjust the price accordingly. If you don’t like, negotiate or walk away. Adam Smith at his best. Just because your country may have legislated away the rights of businesses to maximize their profits doesn’t make it right or that Thailand should follow suit.

TH

Hmmm.

When you see signs up saying Thais one price and foreigners another price, then of course it must be racism because it is based on race (Thai versus non-Thai).

If it was, as you suggest, "what the market will bear" rather than "what the feeble-minded farang will put up with", then they would charge rich Thais a steeper price depending on what car they pull up in or whether they are wearing a silk shirt. But they don't - because they wouldn't get away with it.

Sorry my friend, I think you are wrong.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

It's not so much the overcharging of foreigners in Thailand which bothers me but the lack of rights and opportunities compared to the ones Thai's enjoy when in our home countries. When a Thai marries and gos to the UK within a few short years they can get a British passport and nationality if they want, have the right to buy houses and land, have full access to social security benefits including free health care unemployment pay and state pensions. No matter how long we stay here when married we gain no more rights than when we were here on a two week holiday. Even if you were here 40 years you still have no rights to buy a house or land and would still have to report as the 'alien' to immigration every 90 days. This inequality is unjust and there is no good excuse for it, yet nobody seems to want to admit this never mind do anything to make life here better for ex pats. Typical response is well if you don't like it go home, but this is many people's home.

If you are married to a Thai lady and live here, why don't you get a Thai passport same as in the UK??

Hmmm.

When you see signs up saying Thais one price and foreigners another price, then of course it must be racism because it is based on race (Thai versus non-Thai).

If it was, as you suggest, "what the market will bear" rather than "what the feeble-minded farang will put up with", then they would charge rich Thais a steeper price depending on what car they pull up in or whether they are wearing a silk shirt. But they don't - because they wouldn't get away with it.

Sorry my friend, I think you are wrong.

You are so intent on being a victim that you miss the obvious. The “rich” Thais you speak of would not pay the higher price, they would just pass on it entirely. But don’t think that when dealing with private business, that the owners don’t try it on the “rich” Thais as well. It is not racism, it is market segmentation and pricing accordingly

TH

It's not so much the overcharging of foreigners in Thailand which bothers me but the lack of rights and opportunities compared to the ones Thai's enjoy when in our home countries. When a Thai marries and gos to the UK within a few short years they can get a British passport and nationality if they want, have the right to buy houses and land, have full access to social security benefits including free health care unemployment pay and state pensions. No matter how long we stay here when married we gain no more rights than when we were here on a two week holiday. Even if you were here 40 years you still have no rights to buy a house or land and would still have to report as the 'alien' to immigration every 90 days. This inequality is unjust and there is no good excuse for it, yet nobody seems to want to admit this never mind do anything to make life here better for ex pats. Typical response is well if you don't like it go home, but this is many people's home.

If you are married to a Thai lady and live here, why don't you get a Thai passport same as in the UK??

Because the ruling elite Thai's are xenophobic and racist underneath the laid back lifestyle. I know two people who have gone down the permanent residency route. One here thirty years with Thai wife and very good job, rejected twice so still treated like a backpacker as far as his rights are concerned. The other has been trying for two years and spent 200.000 baht on it but if he gets it he will still not have the right to buy as much as a shack in issan. The welcoming Thai's will just let him off the visa requirement and that's about it.

Yeah we know it's their country and they can do what they like and treat us as badly as they like, I just wonder how they would feel if we did the same to them in our home counties? I imagine they would complain long and loudly.

Because the ruling elite Thai's are xenophobic and racist underneath the laid back lifestyle. I know two people who have gone down the permanent residency route. One here thirty years with Thai wife and very good job, rejected twice so still treated like a backpacker as far as his rights are concerned. The other has been trying for two years and spent 200.000 baht on it but if he gets it he will still not have the right to buy as much as a shack in issan. The welcoming Thai's will just let him off the visa requirement and that's about it.

Yeah we know it's their country and they can do what they like and treat us as badly as they like, I just wonder how they would feel if we did the same to them in our home counties? I imagine they would complain long and loudly.

I have a PR and it was very easy to get (no lawyer needed), so cannot understand why your friends are having so much trouble.

They can PM me if they still have problems and maybe I can help out.

As for the "ruling elite" being racist - I would say no more than in any other country. Xenophobic - for sure, at least the uneducated.

Great, great replies from Dragonfly and KevinBloodyWilson.

To the one who said it was racism, hey, you just go and have a look at some other Thai laws. It's the most racist, sexist, and un-equal legislation I've come across.

A few weeks ago, there was a post asking how Thais would feel if they went to live in England (I think England was the example country), but weren't allowed to buy a home to live in. The last time I looked, no Thais had answered. Not bothered? Embarrassed? Who knows?

As for farangs just coming recently to live here, well how about this to demonstrate the racist laws. I know a guy whose family has been here for 300 years, but he can't own anything, can't get electricity (legally, anyway) and can't send his kids to school. Shoot, that's even worse than I'm treated! ........He's a fisherman of sea gypsy descent.

I know a guy whose family has been here for 300 years, but he can't own anything, can't get electricity (legally, anyway) and can't send his kids to school. Shoot, that's even worse than I'm treated! ........He's a fisherman of sea gypsy descent.

Can I say you might have exaggerated things a bit here? :)

Think again darling,..

Well that was a nice compliment so early on the day :)

...EDUCATION is the key word

Education…..hmm yes I have got with me that… but you know if we get on discussing that subject, and I mean good education, included why it seems to be reserved for a few…. we are opening up a box with dynamite so at least I let it be with that. :D

A few weeks ago, there was a post asking how Thais would feel if they went to live in England (I think England was the example country), but weren't allowed to buy a home to live in. The last time I looked, no Thais had answered. Not bothered? Embarrassed? Who knows?

I had a conversation with a Thai woman last week about this topic. I asked her how she would feel if she came to my country, America, and wanted to buy property/land and was told you can pay for it but it has to be owned by an American. She said if it is her money it should be her land. I then asked her how do you think foreigners feel about not being able to own the property they pay for here in Thailand and if she thinks that is a fair thing. Her response "Thailand is for Thais." Nuff said.

No we do not charge a foreigner more than a local back home.

Think again darling,.....EDUCATION is the key word :)

I disagree.

In the US, residents of a state pay the "in state rate." People who are not residents pay the "out of state rate." Its not based on race, religion or nationality. its based on residency.

I know a guy whose family has been here for 300 years, but he can't own anything, can't get electricity (legally, anyway) and can't send his kids to school. Shoot, that's even worse than I'm treated! ........He's a fisherman of sea gypsy descent.

Apologies got the posts mixed up, yeah 300 years does sound a bit on the long side

Edited by dragonfly94

I had a conversation with a Thai woman last week about this topic. I asked her how she would feel if she came to my country, America, and wanted to buy property/land and was told you can pay for it but it has to be owned by an American. She said if it is her money it should be her land. I then asked her how do you think foreigners feel about not being able to own the property they pay for here in Thailand and if she thinks that is a fair thing. Her response "Thailand is for Thais." Nuff said.

Classic example of Thai double standards and xenophobia.

Oh, and by the way...I meant to mention that it sounds as if you're Canadian. Wonderful country...love the Canadian Rockies and the whole Niagara area. And paid through the nose for that enjoyment. Pizza at $8 a slice? Hotels substantially more expensive than just south of the border. I spent far more per day in the Canadian Rockies and Niagara than I did around Yellowstone, Glacier, or Yosemite NPs.

Very true but then again the average Tradesman in Canada makes more then in the states. And I agree it is very costly to travel Canada but the point is that me as a Canadian pay the same as a Thai traveler would have to, no more no less.

Yes...absolutely fair...everyone gets gouged equally.

I don't agree with double pricing.In my country,the UK,it would not be allowed to discriminate against foreigners for admission to national parks and so forth.It would be regarded as rascism.However,things are seen differently here.Charging foreigners double or whatever is seen as OK.I suppose you could fight it,and refuse to go to these places.But I don't really feel that the authorities care.I'm not going to say to my child that the reason they never went to a national park,or whatever, was that I,as a foreigner,would be discriminated against,and that is why we always stayed home every weekend,and that we must fight the fight.....You get the picture.

I don't see myself as fighting for civil rights.I don't think complaining in letters pages or internet forums will make any difference.It would need economic pressure or political pressure.I accepted double pricing when I moved here.I don't like it,but not going to see this or that is only going to hurt me,not the people who make these rules.

Apologies got the posts mixed up, yeah 300 years does sound a bit on the long side

Extract from a website re sea gypsies in southern Thailand below. Since I was going on how long HE said his family had been here, maybe it's not as far out as you suggest. Could be his family came straight here - who is anyone to prove / disprove what someone like a sea gypsy, with their traditions, says.

Whatever his time, it's longer than the Thai-Chinese who run Phuket!

"Roughly three centuries ago, a tribe of people fled turmoil in Indonesia for a nomadic life on the ocean. They fished their way up the eastern edge of the Andaman Sea, and by the late 1800's had established semi-permanent communities on the islands of Phuket and Koh Lanta in present-day Thailand. Known in English as "sea gypsies", they are most often referred to by their Thai name of chao leh, literally "people of the sea"."

I disagree.

In the US, residents of a state pay the "in state rate." People who are not residents pay the "out of state rate." Its not based on race, religion or nationality. its based on residency.

blah!..he & I were talking about the "foreigners", not the ones with residency. Foreingers do pay atleast 2X more..

Hmm anyway....you don't hear many farangs w/ the "thai's PR" complaining much here about double pricing. :D

Where I'm from, until recently, education was free for all EVEN Thais :D But after thousands of Chinese came to study and then go back the rules were changed, so now it's expensive.