Udon Thani Official Calls For Prostitution To Be Legalised

george

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad this couldn't be done in the U.S.A., along with legalizing cannabis, as ways to lower the current record deficit. Otherwise, future

generations of workers will be over burdened in providing Social Security, etc. to retirees, etc.

In the USA, it's a state issue, and actually is legal in a few parts (mostly Nevada), where it's overpriced and boring.

Ironic that somebody brings up the USA though, since until recent history, prostitution wasn't illegal in Thailand. It was the USA who pressured them into outlawing prostitution roughly 40 years ago (and it'll be the USA who'd successfully convince them not to legalize it, if the legalization move ever picked up speed).

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

It's not legal in all states of Australia.

"Who Cares" it's about legalizing thailand's prostitution we are talking about.

I'd support any law that gives the girls a "fair deal" and are not exploited and that's the problem in the past. But I also feel this question will be quashed before it gets anywhere near the Government as they have no regulatory personnel to carry out the collection of Taxes

If you can't get the taxes then make it illegal that's what goes on in most countries.

How do tax a girl from "short time and Long time. 100% of this trade is done in cash!!!!!!. The subject on the forum is dead really, but do carry on. :D

The sex trade is very safe here because it is not underground, it's very much out in the open, and workers are allowed to apply their trade in front of whoever, this is why it works here and doesn't need to be legalised. In other countries where we do a good job at enforcing laws, it pushes the trade into the far dark corners of the cities and this is dangerous, hence murders/drug dealing/abuse, pimping, all go hand-in-hand. When was the last time you saw a bar girl here sporting a black eye, or needle marks up her arms, and horror stories of hopw her pimp forces her to work, YOU DON'T DO YOU? Make it legal, means pay high taxes whether legit or back-pocket, this will cause many to start hiding their trade, it will go underground, the pimps (probably BIB) will come out of the wood work and start selling illegal licences/ protection money, the cost will go up, girls will sport black-eyes, and years down the line will all have horror stories to tell.

Legalise it yes - It happens and we're not going to stop it (pretty much how it is now) - but the gov. shouldn't try and make money out of it.

Good post Ninja - I totaly agree

I wouldn't go near the sex trade in the west. I'm sure there are penty of nasty characters invoved over here, where there's money to be made there always wil be.

It is part of Thai cuture that sex will be offered for reward, whether the reward is money,shopping,accomodation,long term reationship and yes marriage. When you take a girl out of a bar here, whether for a night, a weekend or a holiday, she will be your partner and friend while she is with you. You just have to keep you feet on the ground and remember that she will be the same with the next guy. There's aso a reasonable chance she would make a good wife - there are penty of examples of that.

Regulating it would bring out of the woodwork, all the corrupt and money grabbing officials and it would go the way of the sex trade in the west. Also the fact that in the areas that I frequent the girls are salaried plus the bar fine system seems to keep the western style pimps to a minimum. From what I understand the biggest probem for the girls are their boyfriends.

Animatic

Some wag wanted to change the Amazing Thailand campaign to:

Thailand! Even YOU can get laid!

I quite like the idea, and maybe ads in travel sections around the world, "We guarantee you'll get laid or we'll buy your ticket home".

Could help revive the dwindling tourist trade and save billions of baht that's wasted every year in promoting tourism. :)

also, prostitution was legal back in 1970, as was weed. In Udonthani, when you brought a Thai girl into a bar or club she had to show her valid VD card and sign in before she was allowed to enter.

I simply cannot support these plans to regulate vice.

Why would you even want to?

When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it.

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Hello!!! wake up.....a majority of visitors already come here for the sex industry....and who labelled it vice?? prostitution has been around since records were first kept or even before that.

If they decided to have a register of participants, this may jeapodise applications for visas to other countries from those participants.

One important aspect of reading is thinking.

When you read the line "When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it," did you not think, "oh, he's being sarcastic?"

I've found that until you master reading, it's a really bad idea to advance to replying.

The nice thing about meeting young women in Pattaya and Bangkok is that when they are available, they don't feel stigmatized or like social rejects for offering you their services or putting on their shows. They are just entertainers or companions. I think this approach works best. They have dignity which often results in permanent coupling with their companions. The country should not acknowledge or label their services prostitution. This label will do more to hurt their self esteem and futures than any current set up. Contrast to US women who frequently sell themselves to upscale, promising men; theses "johns" usually face financial ruin somewhere down the road when the arrangement they make winds up in court under the heading of divorce.

That happens all the time here too. The girls marrying older, much older, boring or ugly men only marry for the money and as soon as they have enough money or everything transferred into their names will divorce. Some only stay together for the visa to a richer country or as long as the credit card bill keeps being paid. They are only after money. Go to a bar with a Thai speaker that they think is another girl from a bar and learn what they are really saying about the customers that aren't in the same league as them that they are being friendly with. I don't think many if any like what they do.

Back on the subject this is just about a country's fuc_ked economy looking for tax.

yeah, thats right, keep them all busy: some governmental workers write proposals and statements, give the woman activists their 5 minutes in the flash light, mention a few schools and temples so people can come up with petitions.... In the end, in six weeks nobody will remember any of this...

...snip

also, prostitution was legal back in 1970, as was weed. In Udonthani, when you brought a Thai girl into a bar or club she had to show her valid VD card and sign in before she was allowed to enter.

What's a VD card?

Proving she has no venereal diseases? :)

Sorry. I vote "No".

Institutionalizing prostitution only leads to greater corruption, and to illustrating this path as a viable career opportunity for young girls. Would you let your daughter or sister do it, if legal?

I could only see this as a good choice if customers were licensed, regulated and medically tested as should be the service providers.

"No", it is not the true path.

Edited by webfact
No need to quote the entire OP. Use Fast Reply next time

"Campaigns among men to deter them from buying sex from women should help - if there are no buyers, there won't be sellers," she said.

unbelievable comment

In Sweden and Norway it is already a crime for a man to buy sex!

Is it a crime for the woman to sell it?

They will have to get rid of all those signs on massage parlour room doors that say please dont have sex in the room also fill in all the peep holes.

"Campaigns among men to deter them from buying sex from women should help - if there are no buyers, there won't be sellers," she said.

unbelievable comment

In Sweden and Norway it is already a crime for a man to buy sex!

Is it a crime for the woman to sell it?

They will have to get rid of all those signs on massage parlour room doors that say please dont have sex in the room also fill in all the peep holes.

No, women can sell sex.

So a women who buys sex from another female is not committing any crime.

Animatic

Some wag wanted to change the Amazing Thailand campaign to:

Thailand! Even YOU can get laid!

I quite like the idea, and maybe ads in travel sections around the world, "We guarantee you'll get laid or we'll buy your ticket home".

Could help revive the dwindling tourist trade and save billions of baht that's wasted every year in promoting tourism. :)

// I'm not going to remove this post. However I have the quote restored to its original color. Please read this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Point-Point-...es-t287357.html and the forum rules:

29. To not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Thank you for your cooperation

Yes b4 u all start shouting excellent idea, look at the real motive, to tax them, the restrictions and charges would send most of the perverts packing (from a man who's never paid so yes I'm judging). I agree with the idea of getting rid of the customer/change mind-set, and then there would be no such profession. Why do men want to be with someone out of their league and paying for it??? Esp. the ones that are "married" and paying for it, ha! Spend your money on a 6 month fitness regime and then go look for a partner who's equal to you. If you think you enjoy this butterfly way of life, you're kidding yourselves, and many of the customers degrade these poor girls, molesting them in front of other punters with a big fat smirk on their faces. I say yes - look at reducing the customer base, yes - tax the employer and enforce strict rules on them so they take more responsibility for the girls, yes - recognise the profession exsists and continue turning a blind-eye to poor girls who are just trying to make ends meet.

Something else the governmet should do b4 they open their Pandora's Box is start looking at alternative employment, and improving the education system, I worked voluntary at a local gov. school for 6 months, it's amazing how they just write off these kids and allow the kids to write themselves off, you just know what path they're gonna take.

The REAL Thai Visa "Quote of the Day"

Here, here! Better schools and employment opportunities!

Well, in NZ they (the parliamentarians) made brothel-keeping a legal activity 4 or 5 years ago. Usual arguments won out - safety of women, tax gathering (yipee!), visibility, containment. Am somewhat saddened about the further commodification of sex but my hormones drove me to it. I plead guilty M'lord.

well. seems like a good one for some islands in the south, or pattaya... to attract tourists again:

special package! ticket and resort.. 3 days of diving... 3 days shopping.... 3 days (s)hopping new style !! all legal.. all included! full boarding, and tranfers! only excluded; beers and r'bbers..

So as it stands now does that mean every horny foreigner that picks up a delightful honey for a change of scenery in any place and takes her home for some R&R for a little tea money is therefore is liable to prosecution??? sigh..time to exit this site...

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

If it is legal in so many other countries why would they come to Thailand because of prostitutes. They can stay home if they like and use their own countries services. It is more I think than that.

hahaha I can't believe you posted this, have you ever been to Thailand??? Mmm let me think which one would I choose, white skin, fat ass, and saggy tits or a nice slim tanned skin girl with pert tits and a firm ass :D such a hard decission

unbelievable comment

are you for real .

80 per cent of visitors to thailand ,

are motivated by the sex trade ~{ wats , elephants etc ,, and more lies ]]

the thai economy would suffer , without it ...

goverment control , same same == police corruption ..

keep it easy ,, JUST BAR FINE..........

Another nail in the coffin.

Oh. Hang on.

Wrong thread.

Sorry.

Thats it!! Thats the last straw. Im packing, and getting out. Im moving to the village on the other side of the river.

Oh, youre right.....wrong thread

yes, blatent discrimination, another signal that Thailand has it in for foreigners...

d'oh!!! Wrong thread.

(but lets wait for some numbnut to link this to how Britain is going down the drain, and it is all the migrants fault)

No No it must be the fugitive ex prime minster trying to get the "working girls" to organize a rally