Udon Thani Official Calls For Prostitution To Be Legalised

george

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Land of Sallops... no that won't beat Amazing Thailand

Land of Irma La Douce... too french.

This is a positive step, what you can't stomp out, better to regulate.

Better for public health reasons and for the workers.

Taxes on the bosses, but not a lifetime prostitute label for the worker.

No doubt they can still tell mom and pop they work in a spa.

No doubt mom has guessed anyway.

The companies will come up with nicer sounding names as tax entities,

but this is not going to stop the business, better to remove some graft

and make health maintainence and social services are provided.

Puritan's will always whine and moan and it has STOPPED NOTHING.

For me this is not about public morals, but about public health and safety.

A CRACKDOWN is the only way to close the door

Isn't it obvious why they want to legalize it? It's because they want tax revenue from it.
I simply cannot support these plans to regulate vice.

Why would you even want to?

When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it.

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Well IMHO (Why do I bother??)

In a nutshell the official arguments are:

Legalisation would undermine the "morality" of the Nation (according to its moral guardians)

Legalisation and taxation would undermine the revenue of said moral guardians

"plus ca change, plus ca meme chose"

Same applies to gambling, drugs and any other vice you care to mention

Who watches the Watchmen?

(Yawn)

1277 users are reading this topic :)

Edited by seri thai

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Scooter dude, where have you been? don't you know that around the world they sell "sex tours" to Thailand?

Vice? even though I've never used the services of a prostitute I can see it as a necessity not vice. I can understand a guy that doesn't want the burden of a relationship but wants to get laid from time to time...

Regulated, not regulated... it doesn't matter it won't stop. But if this brings some benefits to some women I think it should be welcome.

Have a nice day everyone :)

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

I'm not sure that I would make that argument, and it would certainly would not be true per capita, but yes there is an extremely high number of sex workers here.

However, the majority of the sex trade is Thai/ Thai, not foreigner/Thai. I doubt this will come to fruition, but if it did it would affect the Thai/ Thai side.

It is a bit disturbing to me that anytime I read news where the government is attempting to take a measurable step forward, it is met with bitching and whining from foreigners who proclaim it to be the end of Thailand as we know it and so on.

However, when an Isaan MP with a woody moves to legalise prostitution, the posters here are all on board. It's not like you can't get it already!!

Maybe its just me, i dunno. :D

What's next?

Maybe they can deliver the newly legalized prostitutes on the back of a motorcycle as if it were McDonalds, Burger King, or Pizza Company. The prostitute would show up to your door in a lavender uni with little white boots while the motorcycle driver has you pay and sign a paper. He would then come back to pick her up at a specified time.

Yeah, nothing like regulation of the sex industry as Thailand attempts to market by making it more commercial and available for paying customers. If this happens, might as well place a black silhoutte of a dancer on the Thai flag.

Edited by ironhut

Congratulations! I am all for it. Legalize it and tax it to increase services for all.

Too bad this couldn't be done in the U.S.A., along with legalizing cannabis, as ways to lower the current record deficit. Otherwise, future

generations of workers will be over burdened in providing Social Security, etc. to retirees, etc.

Legal in most of Nevada via brothels, legal in Rhode Island (sex for money o.k. but no brothels allowed).

Cheers!! :)

I call this "progress" !

It is high time to recognize and admit what has always been denied!

Specially considering, that "prostitution" here is NOT the same as prostitution in the West...

Most of the women working in this Trade are freelancers coming from poor families, often with very low education.

They deserve protection and integration into the system, health- social-security, education (STD etc.), fight against drug and underground abuse.

Yes I call this a step forward.

Sadly, as mentioned already by other fellow members, it might be a very long process...

Until forgotten...

I think this is a serious topic and I find the "dick-oriented" remarks 'Hub of prostitution etc." really silly as IT IS NOT TRUE that most tourists come here for sex-tourism!

This stigma was brought by the GI's during their R&R long time ago!

So it is time to step forward...

When rules are enforced in Thailand...

You must wear helmet - means don't wear one cos we want to catch you now and then and collect money from you.

All prostitutes must be reg'd with licence (probably very exp.) - means don't cos when we catch you we can put some money in our back pocket.

All premises must be licenced + meet reg's/standards - means don't cos we'll invade once in a blue-moon and sting you, every punter, and every worker for not meeting our criteria.

Legalize prostitution - They can't legitimize a piss-up in a brewery (literally), road use, or education, why would they want another problem on their hands - to make money. The girls would not be safer at the moment they're left alone, by regulating - the BIB have just-cause to approach/apprehend/fine, and they will.

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

If it is legal in so many other countries why would they come to Thailand because of prostitutes. They can stay home if they like and use their own countries services. It is more I think than that.

Isn't it obvious why they want to legalize it? It's because they want tax revenue from it.

Legalisation would undermine the "morality" of the Nation (according to its moral guardians)

(Yawn)

Drugs and gambling are vices sex is physiologic necessity

What's next?

Maybe they can deliver the newly legalized prostitutes on the back of a motorcycle as if it were McDonalds, Burger King, or Pizza Company. The prostitute would show up to your door in a lavender uni with little white boots while the motorcycle driver has you pay and sign a paper. He would then come back to pick her up at a specified time.

And if she's not "hot" or delivered within 30 minutes do we get it free?

(Yawn)

Drugs and gambling are vices sex is physiologic necessity

Tell that to the Sangha! :D

and I'd suggest that paying for it is not a physiological necessity. :)

The nice thing about meeting young women in Pattaya and Bangkok is that when they are available, they don't feel stigmatized or like social rejects for offering you their services or putting on their shows. They are just entertainers or companions. I think this approach works best. They have dignity which often results in permanent coupling with their companions. The country should not acknowledge or label their services prostitution. This label will do more to hurt their self esteem and futures than any current set up. Contrast to US women who frequently sell themselves to upscale, promising men; theses "johns" usually face financial ruin somewhere down the road when the arrangement they make winds up in court under the heading of divorce.

Edited by george

Congratulations! I am all for it. Legalize it and tax it to increase services for all.

Too bad this couldn't be done in the U.S.A., along with legalizing cannabis, as ways to lower the current record deficit. Otherwise, future

generations of workers will be over burdened in providing Social Security, etc. to retirees, etc.

Good post Lance... but don't hold your breath waiting for Social Security. Been in the red too long and will eventually be too broke (or borrowed from) to pay the pensioners...

What's next?

And if she's not "hot" or delivered within 30 minutes do we get it free?

Service minded, huh?.... hahahaha

Very good one, but I'm not sure this would be something I'd like someone else to warm up for me :)

The sex trade is very safe here because it is not underground, it's very much out in the open, and workers are allowed to apply their trade in front of whoever, this is why it works here and doesn't need to be legalised. In other countries where we do a good job at enforcing laws, it pushes the trade into the far dark corners of the cities and this is dangerous, hence murders/drug dealing/abuse, pimping, all go hand-in-hand. When was the last time you saw a bar girl here sporting a black eye, or needle marks up her arms, and horror stories of hopw her pimp forces her to work, YOU DON'T DO YOU? Make it legal, means pay high taxes whether legit or back-pocket, this will cause many to start hiding their trade, it will go underground, the pimps (probably BIB) will come out of the wood work and start selling illegal licences/ protection money, the cost will go up, girls will sport black-eyes, and years down the line will all have horror stories to tell.

Legalise it yes - It happens and we're not going to stop it (pretty much how it is now) - but the gov. shouldn't try and make money out of it.

Apparently we've been shuffling across this planet for approx 40,000 years on land......

Adam meets Eve....... etc

Eve gets p**sed off & Adam looks for Eve 2...... etc

Regulation vs Prohibition....... irrelevant and redundant issue to try to amend Human Nature......etc

Rgdz from CMai, etc,

Brewsta

Is there actually a politician in the world that realizes criminalization is not a substitute for complete control? I think hel_l just froze over. If this becomes a trend they will have the devil himself rethinking his investment portfolio.

Edited by bernie66