Udon Thani Official Calls For Prostitution To Be Legalised

george

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't prostitution already legal in Thailand anyway?

<snip>

Exactly. Some brothels - MP - are legally registered and girls have STD check ups.

And anyway, it won't make any differences for us, sorry for the customers :) , and I guess most girls do not really care and will not get any benefits from it.

Perhaps the legalisation won't take place, for many of the reasons mentioned above, but some form of control could be enforced.

E.g. bar owners have to keep a register of their girls, and out of the bar fine and lady drinks comes the money for bi weekly/monthly medical check ups and a clearance card. Any girl with HIV or similar is entered onto a hospital log, has her medical ID censored and cannot work the bar scene. Free lancers also have to have these cards and these are checked regularly by the Police or at a reporting centre.

The girls can be registered under any names such as, "entertainment industry", "Leisure industry", so no stigma on their ID cards.

By bringing the bar owners into play, the girls will be overseen and monitored, the owners will ensure they have a "clean" establishment and therefore a good reputation and the girls have a "papa san/mama san to take care of them.

Believe it does happen in a few places and in the Phillippines I've heard.

No legalisation but stricter controls for obvious reasons??

What's appalled me is the slave like conditions most bargirls put up with. A job usually means you start, you work, you finish, then you enjoy your free time. Bar girls aren't allowed to date men outside of the bar, they're 24 hour bar girls. If a bar girl is seen dating a guy even in her own time and the owner hasn't received a fine then she's in a lot of trouble. The term slave is quite befitting here. Some recoginition and regulation might help with issues like these.

Do you really think that the bar running costs and staff wages, including the girls, can be paid from the couple of guys buying drinks in the average bar?

As for slave like conditions, I'd say they apply more to jobs like factory workers and domestics. Try working at a hotel for 5,000 bht a month, and having to pay 2,000 bht for the room they give you. It's no wonder they have so many girls in Pattaya, Patong et al.

If girls were allowed to have guys outside working hours, how many guys would be willing to pay the bar fines, which are the main source of income for the bars?

So you think it's justified on monetary grounds? If giving the girls reasonable rights of freedom means that bars have to close then so they should, that's peripheral to the issue. Think outside your own pants.

I realise some girls seem to have fun, some deal with it, some I've seen sit there welled up looking like they've been given a prison sentence. Also depends what kind of bar, the popular ones in the heart of the action, with hot girls, they can actually make a lot from drink sales.

Actually where are the bars in the west that sell their bar staff out for sex? Here in Australia bars seem to survive pretty well just from drink sales, it is possible. Those beer bar drink prices come with a hefty mark up.

Show me one girl working in one of the tourist bars that can't leave whenever she wants, and I'd agree with you.

I'd have more respect for your views if you were concerned with the women that are forced to work in the Thai sex trade, compared to which the tourist bar scene is insignificant.

What is it that you don't like- men going with bar girls, or just Western men going with bar girls?

If you don't like the bar prices, it's simple, don't drink there!

I forgot before, take this photo out ! I don't permit you to use my work.

Hello,

I dont like when you copy my photo from a websites and put it in here without asking for permission. This 2 girls have nothing to do with prostitution they just sit around in a bar in Phuket and entertain the customers. No hanky panky business, I made this photo, I know it. You people are really disgusting defaming, lying and stealing content from other peoples websites ! You could at least have asked if you can use this photo, thats the usual way civilized people do this job !

FLESH IDEAS

Udon Thani official calls for prostitution to be legalised

prostitution-thailand.jpg

File photo.

UDON THANI: -- Udon Thani Industrial Council chairman Prayoon Homewong has called on the government to legalise prostitution.

"We can never get rid of it. So, I think we should pass laws to regulate it," Prayoon said at a meeting with relevant authorities in Udon Thani.

He described "prostitution" as an old profession, which many foreign countries have recognised legally.

Prayoon added that if the flesh trade were stamped out altogether, sex crimes would soar.

"If there were laws to regulate prostitution, sex workers would be eligible for legal protection and benefits, while the government would earn income from the tax," Prayoon said. "And it would be easier to control."

He added that red-light district zoning could be imposed once laws were passed, before urging MPs and ministers to seriously consider his proposal.

Register would stigmatise

Friends of Women Foundation director Thanavadee Thajeen agreed with imposing zoning and providing prostitutes with access to social security in line with other careers, but moves towards a prostitute-regulation system could only come after consultation with relevant groups.

"There are so many karaoke lounges and other night spots with covert prostitution and some are located near temples and schools. Zoning could help solve this problem," Thanavadee said.

"However, I don't agree with the registration system because it could adversely affect sex workers. Registration means a woman is willing to be stigmatised for the rest of her life as a prostitute, which may effect her chance of finding another other job in the future," she said.

Thanavadee urged relevant agencies to organise public forums in each region for prostitutes to discuss their problems with women's rights activists. Then it would become clear whether the prostitutes want regulation or not, she said.

Regardless of whether prostitution was legalised, she said the government should help prostitutes gain access to the social security system. Prostitutes' employers should be forced to register with their Social Security Office as employers, she said.

"Campaigns among men to deter them from buying sex from women should help - if there are no buyers, there won't be sellers," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-15

do you know the girls ? or do I know them ? not every girl in a bar is a prostitute !

you have no idea that in Thailand there are quite a lot of different nightclub businesses etc. the type were this girls are coming from its called a cafe, just go in any of this type of cafe in Thailand, they have it almost everywhere and try to take a girl out. you wont be successful, trust me. they just sit around and get commission from every drink plus a monthly salary and this is how they make money. This is not patong or patpong.

^they sit around bar and do nothing? :D Ok they are cashiers... :):D

do you know the girls ? or do I know them ? not every girl in a bar is a prostitute !

you have no idea that in Thailand there are quite a lot of different nightclub businesses etc. the type were this girls are coming from its called a cafe, just go in any of this type of cafe in Thailand, they have it almost everywhere and try to take a girl out. you wont be successful, trust me. they just sit around and get commission from every drink plus a monthly salary and this is how they make money. This is not patong or patpong.

I have reported your post so the issue you raise can be addressed.

No, most of us do not believe all or even most girls in Thai bars are prostitutes.

But also know that there is a much higher visible percentage here,

than in other places we know.

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :D

Must be kidding.

:)

So the gals tell parents that they are no longer going to Bkk to work in salon restaurant or design job. they will be in XXXX shower massage :D

Because it is legalized why would that have to change what they tell their parents??? :D

Congratulations! I am all for it. Legalize it and tax it to increase services for all.

Too bad this couldn't be done in the U.S.A., along with legalizing cannabis, as ways to lower the current record deficit. Otherwise, future

generations of workers will be over burdened in providing Social Security, etc. to retirees, etc.

It has been done in parts of the US.

I simply cannot support these plans to regulate vice.

Why would you even want to?

When Prohibition is doing such a great job at controlling it.

I think if you regulate the industry, that will result in people actually coming to Thailand purely for the sex industry!

Scooter dude, where have you been? don't you know that around the world they sell "sex tours" to Thailand?

Vice? even though I've never used the services of a prostitute I can see it as a necessity not vice. I can understand a guy that doesn't want the burden of a relationship but wants to get laid from time to time...

Regulated, not regulated... it doesn't matter it won't stop. But if this brings some benefits to some women I think it should be welcome.

Have a nice day everyone :)

Actually, it brings significant benefits to all. The women would be checked regularly for communicable diseases and receive treatment when necessary. Therefore the clients would be safer and the spread of communicable diseases would decline, or at least not accelerate as quickly absent regulation. The government would receive additional revenues (taxes) and spend less regarding the spread of communicable diseases. There are parts of the US where prostitution is legalized and regulated. All of the State of Nevada with the exception of Clark County (Las Vegas).

Hello, I basically agree with you, but one of the things what separates us from others is to be able to think and not only see black and white. Actually what make me angry in this article is, there is someone, who take a picture, put it into the context of prostitution and don't know anything about the picture etc. This is not fair to others.

I coincidently know this girls and made this photo, but all the others who see this article think, because the author put it into this context, so its true. Nobody else except myself knows its a lie. So hopefully in the future they take it a little bit more different.

I have reported your post so the issue you raise can be addressed.

No, most of us do not believe all or even most girls in Thai bars are prostitutes.

But also know that there is a much higher visible percentage here,

than in other places we know.

And how would you know that? Could also be a tactic to make them appear unavailable and hence to get more...

if you have to travel across the world to get and pay for it then you are desparate but I guess there are a lot of men out there who come to thailand in search of it. poor lonely desparate souls. :)

Could be wrong here, but I'm guessing a lot of guys come out here for a decent bit of nookie off some hot chics without all the whining :D

^most of these lads seem very happy though, so I wouldnt waste your sympathies. :)

Funny thing is if you talk to some of the ladies - they have a book w/regular checkups for STD(s) ect. Seems to me if it wasn't pseudo legal - there wouldnt be these health check books.

Glad to hear everyone is happy including loners, freaks, good samaritans, widows, curious, newbies and the likes, personally I don't like smelly merchandise but I find the whole thing thoroughly entertaining to observe. Please don't stop or there'll be nothing for me to do in Pattaya! :D

Dunno much about this but at first legalising the trade sounded right to me, on a second thought it would also mean that things would be far too controlled by a governement that has several layers of corruptions, wouldn't it end up as a fascist regime or something? Would these ladies lose some of their freedom in a way? What do you think?

Glad to hear everyone is happy including loners, freaks, good samaritans, widows, curious, newbies and the likes, ......................

Was it an oversight to leave your good self out of this select group, or was it deliberate?

Oh to be pure of heart, soul and conscience :)

Glad to hear everyone is happy including loners, freaks, good samaritans, widows, curious, newbies and the likes, ......................

Was it an oversight to leave your good self out of this select group, or was it deliberate?

The power of words..! I love it!

On the contrary, I have been one of them at times, a good samaritan, a freak, not a loner though...simply in a different capacity. Prostitution has never been my idea of rapture. It doesn't appeal to everyone who lives in Pattaya, Patpong or Pingpong but it doesn't bother me, it fascinates me instead because there is hardly anything else to be entertained by around here. One of my best friends is a bar girl, I spend lots of time with her and our friends who spend lots of money and time in Pattaya to pay for sex because they don't want the attachment of a relationship and they just need to use up all that energy they couldn't find the opportunity to use back home. As long as my friends are happy I'm happy for them, maybe they'll find a good wife when they get older and need a shoulder to lean on. If your friends smoke it doesn't mean you have to be a smoker, right? Love and do what you want I read somewhere..hi hi hi!

The power of words..! I love it!

On the contrary, I have been one of them at times, a good samaritan, a freak, not a loner though...simply in a different capacity. Prostitution has never been my idea of rapture. It doesn't appeal to everyone who lives in Pattaya, Patpong or Pingpong but it doesn't bother me, it fascinates me instead because there is hardly anything else to be entertained by around here. One of my best friends is a bar girl, I spend lots of time with her and our friends who spend lots of money and time in Pattaya to pay for sex because they don't want the attachment of a relationship and they just need to use up all that energy they couldn't find the opportunity to use back home. As long as my friends are happy I'm happy for them, maybe they'll find a good wife when they get older and need a shoulder to lean on. If your friends smoke it doesn't mean you have to be a smoker, right? Love and do what you want I read somewhere..hi hi hi!

So is your "one of my best friends (the bar girl)" included in the "smelly merchandise"?

Edited by jackspratt

Today in the Nation:

Udon Thani Industrial Council chairman calls on Got to legalise fresh trade

Udon Thani Industrial Council chairman Prayoon Homewong Monday called on the government to legalise prostitution.

"We can never get rid of it. So, I think we should pass laws to regulate it," Prayoon says at a meeting with relevant authorities in Udon Thani. He describes "prostitution" as an old profession, which many foreign countries have recognised legally.

Fresh Trade? :)

Hello, I basically agree with you, but one of the things what separates us from others is to be able to think and not only see black and white. Actually what make me angry in this article is, there is someone, who take a picture, put it into the context of prostitution and don't know anything about the picture etc. This is not fair to others.

I coincidently know this girls and made this photo, but all the others who see this article think, because the author put it into this context, so its true. Nobody else except myself knows its a lie. So hopefully in the future they take it a little bit more different.

At first I assumed you were joking. I also assumed that the photo was part of the original article from The Nation news web site, but after searching that site for the source article (search for "legalised") I see that the picture is not from The Nation, and must have been added by the OP.

If this is in fact your picture, and you know these ladies, and you know that they are not prostitutes, then I can understand why you would be upset.

If you wish to inform the site administrator about this issue, go back to the original post in this topic and press the "REPORT!" button. This will allow you to send a brief message to the administrator explaining your complaint. Be sure to include the URL of the web site from which the picture in the OP was taken. Out of curiosity, can you include that URL in a reply to this thread as well? Thanks.

Edited by oevna

What's next?

Maybe they can deliver the newly legalized prostitutes on the back of a motorcycle as if it were McDonalds, Burger King, or Pizza Company. The prostitute would show up to your door in a lavender uni with little white boots while the motorcycle driver has you pay and sign a paper. He would then come back to pick her up at a specified time.

Sounds like Vietnam....

Long overdue.

Thailand has arguably more sex workers than any other country, yet they have no rights and are exploited by the Police, traffickers etc. The sex industry in Thailand is the main reason why so many foreigners choose to visit Thailand regularly and why many end up living here. (whether they like to admit to it or not) :D

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

I would take up the arguement that Thailand has more sex workers than any other country. Mathematically that is an absurd statement. I would give you that Thailand may have areas where the trade is highly concentrated and tolerated which would give the impression that there are more workers. The USA has far, far more prostitutes. That is a fact.

Long overdue.

It's Legal in Australia, Germany, Holland and many other developed countries. So why not? :)

if the majority were being exploited as u say they wouldnt be so mut fun :D:D . a lot of them wamt to be hookers!

I might have cropped the foreground a little to get rid of the table; mainly to get rid of the red/yellow plaid that I find a little distracting. But not the hands; I like the hands in the photo.

If you cropped out the table then you would have gotten rid of something else which is important to the narrative!

I've thought about this topic, and honestly can't see a way it would work anywhere close to achieving the goals. I think the guy making the announcement is grandstanding and out of touch.

If prostitution were legalized to a greater degree than it already is, then there would be the stigma (of workers and owners) of being in the business. Thais rarely call things what they really are. So often, things are veiled behind appearances. Examples: barber shops, restaurants, mall exit, beach walkway, ....all could possibly be venues for prostitutes in Thailand.

Even the most stringent regulations won't much change the status quo. Plus, the workers at the lowest rungs of the ladder (illegal immigrants, those with papers confiscated, those in bondage, those physically beat up if they try to leave, etc), won't ever be touched by any regulation. They're the most vulnerable, and will continue to be so. Best thing for them is education for their little sisters, and improvements in living conditions where they hail from. Example, I know of an illegal Burmese hill tribe woman who lives in a black plastic tent with bamboo poles on a dirt pad. She has 7 soiled little kids with her and boom booms all types (mostly Thais) at the drop of the hat. What will regulations do for her? Answer: authorities couldn't help her even if they could find her. And none will be surprised if her daughters grow up to perpetuate the squalor of their mom's existance.

Edited by brahmburgers