Is There A Day Bus From Cm To Udonthani ?

spaceshipcrew

Next week I needa go 2 Udonthani see my Sweet Treasure in Vientiane.

But I REALLY HATE those '1st class VIP' nitebuses, they are a horror. Windows can't open, a freezy AC, NO fresh air for 13 hours, just snoring, couching and farting people, a roof construction that makes your eardrums crack and an onboard toilet that's beyond your worst claustrofobic nitemare.

Are there any daytime buses from Chiangmai to Udonthani ? Guess a daytime bus would be fun, at least you see something of d'wonderful landscapes of Thailand !

For the very reason you mentioned I don't visit a good friend in Udon Thani. I can't stand bus rides longer than 5 hours. That's my limit no matter HOW good the bus is. Unfortunately, there is not a direct flight to Udon Thani and you have to go to Bangkok first. That adds a lot of extra time and cost. As it stands now I let my friend drive to meet me in Chiang Mai or Uttaradit. Uttaradit itself is about a 4 hour ride from Chiang Mai and that's far enough.

There are certainly day buses a-plenty from CM to Khon Kaen and I'm sure you can do KK to Vientiane easily. You woud need a break after a 10 to 12 hour bus journey anyway.

The route is certainly scenic between Lampang and Uttradit, Pitsanulok to Lom Sak and the first couple of hours after Lom Sak. Boring as hel_l in that part of Issaan thereafter though.

I drove that itinerary in reverse last week. The roads are good quality and I passed many a Government bus plying the CM to Issaan route. A decent car would cost you 1,000 baht a day and fuel would be say 3,000 to 5,000 baht for the return journey, depending on engine size and your driving habits. But it is a nice road trip.

Trying to head further North accross Thailand than this - I think you are into the Loei and along the banks of the Mekong to Nong Khai route. Dont know but probably doable in 2 chunks with a change at Loei.

If you are heading for Vientiane why not go accross into Laos closer to CM and explore Laos - probably much more interesting? Laos has many cheap long distance buses on the same level as Thailand