Move Against Fake Police Checkpoints

george

How do you ID a bent Thai copper to report a shakedown?

Do they have name tags in Ingrish or a number on their shoulder as UK cops wear? :o

The Boys in Brown that I have encountered sometimes have their name (written in Thai) on a pin worn on their shirts, but I have never seen an indentifying number (as they have in the States) worn on their uniform.

Regarding the earlier question regarding a requirement that a driver always carry their drivers license (DL), it is certainly pragmatic that they do so, as a means of identifying themselves and showing they are authorized to drive a vehicle.

Even if the Thai police have the ability to radio in and have DL information verified through a central computer, I would think this would be a time-consuming and wasteful exercise.

When I have been stopped by Thai police, I have always been requested to provide a DL and proof of 3rd party insurance. I am certain that failure to provide this would result in a fine.

What an admission! "Our police are thieves, please report them". :o

The cynic in me wonders whether the real problem being addressed here is that the higher-ups within the police are not receiving their expected cut from the maverick one-two cop operations. :D

...and what's worse is that it means their management of their officers is so bad that they have no idea where they are or what they are doing, and they have no set tasks for these men to do and no system of checking that they were done. Their officers appear to be free to roam the streets doing whatever they like.

Kinda wonder how can you stop traffic police from doing "something" they have been doing for 30 years? 

The answer: No, you can't.

Golf

You have to select them better, train them better, pay them more money and punish the ones caught doing wrong.

So you're probably right, Golf, it can't - won't - be done :o .