What Bodies Are There In The Thai Government That Represent Expats/foreigners ?

spaceshipcrew

What bodies are there actually in the Thai government, or officially recognized organisations that represent expats/foreigners issues and come up for the rights of expats/foreigners/tourists ?

Somebody who knows ? Just wonder.

Hi

I guess you expected the funny replies.

:)

I think the only bodies are the regular ones you will find in other countries.

Immigration, Justice department (follow the rules here), and so on.

I dont thimk there are many countries that have any official bodies put up to "take care of" the visitors.

Well, maybe the USA, with their Homeland Security, which treats all visitors as potensial terrorists.

Thats a discussion for another day.

Sorry guys, I know, cheap shot.

:D

Here we go again. They care even less than your embassy does.

Is this a joke. :D They don't even care about the Thai folks, why would they care about Farang :)

So, and how much do 'farang' care about that nobody cares about them ?

Not that I care too much, just don't understand whey there are no interest groups.

So only 'farang' discussing pro- con- [or somewhere inbetween] Thai culture and thats it ? We are same as them, totally maypenrayed !

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit :D

I need a double dose of 3in1 now.

Here we go again. They care even less than your embassy does.

Is this a joke. :D They don’t even care about the Thai folks, why would they care about Farang :)

Right and Right.

Interesting concept but why should the Thais care about representing foreigners? Gullible foreigners are an unlimited resource :D

All of them will help a foreigner, if your need(s) are relevant to their function. Example 1 – you file your taxes, the revenue department audits you and in the process they point out that you have left out a deduction and you leave the audit with more money. Example 2 – ex staff you terminated SMS you a threat, you go to the police station, fill out a report, the person was silly enough to use their own number, the police explain to them if anything happens to the farang the same will happen to them, they apologize and the problem solved. Example 3: you are legally employed, the company goes bankrupt and your severance does not include all you are owed per the labor law (it can add up), the Thai labor office will gladly take up you case (just like you were Thai), and in case your former employers do not respond appropriately, they will see you are due a lot more money in penalties (just like you were Thai), and if that money is not paid, they will assist you in making a police report (just like you were Thai) and the police will issue arrest warrants for the company’s directors (just like they were Thai) so they pay you (just like you were Thai) and you get most, but not all, so you end up waiting for the rest in bankruptcy court, which is an eternally slow process (just like you were Thai). Example 4: you go to the government hospital and it is covered under the 40 baht health scheme. Example 5: you go to a national park but pay the local rate when you can show a driver’s license which means you have some kind legal status here and they know you probably pay the taxes that support the park. Example 6: Our Foreign owned but Thai registered company received funds to offset the cost of overseas trade fairs since Thai made products were being exported (and I have knowen 100% farang owned companies that have attended trade fairs FOC on the Thai government’s tab). I say this as examples 1 – 6 happened to me. I have had friends who have gotten help with their farming issues from the agricultural branches of universities, had business disputes solved, small business assisted by small business assistance departments at universities/ministries, etc. In my experience, if your need is relevant to what that departments does, and you follow procedures, they will help you. I will even go out on a limb and say in some cases, farang’s get preferential treatment as the government officers my worry you would complain if tea money is asked for or poor service given. I cannot emphasize how important having a literate and competent Thai girlfriend, friend, wife, partner or staff is in navigating the many procedural hurdles. I fear that many Thai’s do not get the most from their government due to its complexity.

I think many farang’s negative experiences stem from either being on the legal fringe (“help me in this dispute over land I am not supposed to own”), not following procedures exactly (they are very checklist driven – being “close” does not always count), Their business is not a “going concern”, feeling something is relevant that is not relevant to the Thai government (maybe Thai’s do not care about barking Soi dogs) or not fully knowing how to approach the government (the paperwork forms can be daunting – this causes problems for poorly educated Thais also) or not fully understanding their rights and protection under the law – if you are here legally they are the same as a Thai’s. I keep mentioning “relevance” as no government agency will get involved with things outside their jurisdiction. Most things are possible with the government, it just takes patience and you need to navigate their policies, forms, waiting periods, etc.