Pick Up Trucks - Advice Please

rohitsuk

I am hoping for advice from experts on pick up trucks as I have never bought and only rarely driven one.

We want to buy a new truck with the extended cab and bench seat with the half rear doors and put a Carryboy thing on the back of it. We will be running around CM and region collecting and delivering light packaged goods with occasional trips doing the same to Bangkok.  We also want to sling the kids in the back from time to time and the camping gear, when we are heading for the hills. We already have a saloon car which we are keeping so it won't be our only transport.

It seems like there are lots of choices to be made but I am finding it difficult to make comparisons or find Road Tests as the names don't match up in the UK /US.  Is an Isuzu whatsit really the same as a Chevy Colarado ? 

I don't really think we need 4X4 or hiked up off the ground as we don't plan to go dirt tracking and would there be any other reason to have it ?

Diesel v Petrol, manual v auto (the Thais want auto) but I don't mind either, Nissan v Isuzu.  It's all a bit bewildering to an engineering know nout like me so I would be really grateful for the low down from the truck fraternity.

Many thanks.

Edited by rohitsuk

Hi Rohitsuk,

The Isuzu D-Max was made from a design borrowed off Chevrolet under the agreement that when Chevrolet launched their Colorado they could use the Isuzu Engine design.

So basically they are the same vehicle but the Colorado has a few face-lift type differences.

For the current range of pick-ups i believe that only the diesel version is available in Thailand.

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok so i prefer the Auto, which is much easier on the legs when stuck in traffic, which is probably why it is preferred by the Thais.

The D-Max is the oldest of the current range of pick-ups and a lot of improvements have been made since it was launched, so I would personally go for the Nissan.

Regards,

Tiger.

I run a Nissan Navara D40 Diesel, awsome truck, does everything i ask of it,

So.. what do you typically ask of it? I'm pretty demanding. Does it make decent coffee?

hel_l, yes! with cinamon bickies and everything........................................

So.. what do you typically ask of it? I'm pretty demanding. Does it make decent coffee?

hel_l, yes! with cinamon bickies and everything........................................

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1026

UK version gets a good review...

Edited by piercefilmlid

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=1026

UK version gets a good review...

I'v had mine since 2006, cant really fault it, long service intervals (18,000 miles) good fuel returns, i have mine chipped & tricked, it's now nearly 300 bhp (174 std) and i still get 38mpg on a run.

FF

I am hoping for advice from experts on pick up trucks as I have never bought and only rarely driven one.

We want to buy a new truck with the extended cab and bench seat with the half rear doors and put a Carryboy thing on the back of it. We will be running around CM and region collecting and delivering light packaged goods with occasional trips doing the same to Bangkok. We also want to sling the kids in the back from time to time and the camping gear, when we are heading for the hills. We already have a saloon car which we are keeping so it won't be our only transport.

It seems like there are lots of choices to be made but I am finding it difficult to make comparisons or find Road Tests as the names don't match up in the UK /US. Is an Isuzu whatsit really the same as a Chevy Colarado ?

I don't really think we need 4X4 or hiked up off the ground as we don't plan to go dirt tracking and would there be any other reason to have it ?

Diesel v Petrol, manual v auto (the Thais want auto) but I don't mind either, Nissan v Isuzu. It's all a bit bewildering to an engineering know nout like me so I would be really grateful for the low down from the truck fraternity.

Many thanks.

I'm certainly no expert, but I've driven pickups all my life, usually 4X4, and now have a diesel Toyota which I love; parts and mechanics are readily available. It just turned over 100,000 km and with a proactive timing belt replacement is still running strong. I get 10 to 12 kms to liter (25 to 30 mpg). All the major Japanese makes, plus Chevy and Ford are probably comparable, just shop around and choose the features, design that you like, and find the best price.

Diesel fuel is subsidised and less expensive than gasoline, and the modern diesel engines are quiet, smooth, clean burning compared with the past, and extremely durable. Diesel motors just don't have the acceleration off the line that is customary with petrol, so if you can live with that you will get a good ride and probably more economical to drive. If you sit with an idling motor you will smell the diesel exaust, probably more objectionable than a petrol motor, but you should shut it down and not idle the motor anyway for economic and ecological reasons.

Manual and auto transmissions are probably more a matter of preference, auto is great if you like to sip your cup of coffee or dial your cell phone while driving; but you know that is a no-no anyway, right? One reason that some owners choose manual tranny is that repairs and replacement are usually cheaper when needed. An automatic transmission is a heavy, complex and expensive piece of machinery. Another reason is economy, some people feel that a stick shift is more economical to drive; I'm not sure if that is true. Others like to shift for themselves and consciously choose the gear that they want to be in for positive handling and power. Manual trans may be have more availability here and may be a less expensive option. Ask the dealer.

If your kids are young and small, then the extended cab you describe will do fine; be sure it has seat belts and use a safety car seat for small children under 4. If your kids are older then consider the 4 door option with full, comfortable seats in back. But this 'crew cab' limits the bed length to 4 1/2 feet usually, and therefore limits your pay-load or ability to sleep in the bed.

It sounds like you don't need a 4x4, but I would feel vulnerable to getting stuck, limited and restrained without one, I like to get up in the mountains. They are more expensive to purchase and to drive, but on your camping trips you would have more options to find a secluded site, even in the rainy season. If you live in the city and drive only on the paved roads (or flat dirt roads in dry season) then you will probably be happy with a 2 wheel drive pickup. Good luck and have fun, don

I LOVE my Toyota-Vigo 4-WheelDrive; 4 Door; 3-Liter Diesel & Automatic truck.

It is now almost 4 years old ad has about 80,000 km's on the clock. It drives as good as it did when we picked it up from the dealer, on day 1 !

This truck does not drive like a truck, but rather like a Cadillac ! ! It has a very smooth drive; ery good road-holding; superb accelleation, thanks to it's Intercooled Turbo and can rech a top-speed of 195 Km/Hr ! !

The reason I chose this vehicle:

1. Toyota reliability and SERVICE all around this country.

2. Since it is a 4x4, you sit that much higher and that's a serious SAFETY FEATURE; you can see over most traffic antanticipate much better.

3. COMFORT; lie I said:it drives smooth, like a cadillac ! (I used to drive Benz in NZ, Lincoln in Canada & Volvo in Europe;thisone beats them all !)

4. ACCELERATION; another safety feature; you may not be a 'speedy-Gonzales, but whenever you needthat little extra to pass that slow sand-truck; you certainy will have what it takes.

5. You get a 2-IN-1 deal; in front you'll have a spacy 5 seat luxury sedan; in the back that p/u bed.

6. Standard kit: A/C; Superb Stereo; Clever Cup Holders, located in front of the A/C outlets; a arm bottle of water is ic-cold after 10 minutes.

7. The Toyota Vigo is about 2 inches wider than all other p/u brands; 2" longer and 2" higher; not mny people realize this !

Just go and have a test-drive and you will be sold !

I've just ordered my next Vigo.

TOYOTA VIGO: MORE RELIABLE THAN MOST WIVES

You say buy NEW.....

All the pickups are around the same price, like for like... All have Diesel All have Automatic options

The main question is what are you going to do with the pickup, how many km you going to do per year and how long are you going to keep it.......

Isuzu D-Max and the Toyota Vigo hold there value, so in say 4 years you will still get a very good price. Of the 2 the D-Max will cost 1/2 in Servicing/Part, the Vigo is a lot more expensive..... So if you will do high mileage then the cheaper would be the D-Max..

Chevy Colarado v Isuzu D-Max, the only difference is cosmetic + what the price will be in 4 years the Chevy Colarado will be a lot less again like for like. Auto are only on the 3.0L engine

Chevy Colarado + Isuzu D-Max are the all CHAIN DRIVEN engines, the others are BELT driven

Chevy Colarado you can buy as CNG factory fitted.

Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 again there twins, not loved by Thais so the 2nd hand value is poor, here if you want auto there different as you can have the 2.5L engine and are 5sp Auto box. all the others above are 4sp auto. did see a new Ranger with the 1/2 rear door

Nissan Navara and Mitz Triton are somewhere in between... the Navara being 6sp manual or 5sp Auto + has the 1/2 rear door. 2nd hand they have lost a lot more than D-Max + Vigo pair

About 6 months ago had to visit someone next to a Tata showroom, so popped in to look, it has a diesel 2,2L engine, the one in the showroom had white leather interior, the price was 399,99 baht !!! this was across the window [cannot believe a pickup 200k cheaper than any other?] + there made in Thailand + you can buy as CNG factory fitted model... Other then there Indian and now own Landrover and Jaguar don't know anything about them, and have only every seen one one the road.

The 1/2 rear door, no idea if there is a road tax difference? there is a large difference in 2dr and 4dr worth while checking?

Edited by ignis

It is now almost 4 years old ad has about 80,000 km's on the clock. It drives as good as it did when we picked it up from the dealer, on day 1 !

This truck does not drive like a truck, but rather like a Cadillac ! ! It has a very smooth drive; ery good road-holding; superb accelleation, thanks to it's Intercooled Turbo and can rech a top-speed of 195 Km/Hr ! !

2. Since it is a 4x4, you sit that much higher and that's a serious SAFETY FEATURE; you can see over most traffic antanticipate much better.

3. COMFORT; lie I said:it drives smooth, like a cadillac ! (I used to drive Benz in NZ, Lincoln in Canada & Volvo in Europe;thisone beats them all !)

4. ACCELERATION; another safety feature; you may not be a 'speedy-Gonzales, but whenever you needthat little extra to pass that slow sand-truck; you certainy will have what it takes.

5. You get a 2-IN-1 deal; in front you'll have a spacy 5 seat luxury sedan; in the back that p/u bed.

6. Standard kit: A/C; Superb Stereo; Clever Cup Holders, located in front of the A/C outlets; a arm bottle of water is ic-cold after 10 minutes.

7. The Toyota Vigo is about 2 inches wider than all other p/u brands; 2" longer and 2" higher; not mny people realize this !

Well by the sound of it a lot more reliable than my wives - either of them !

Thanks a lot for the really helpful information about the Vigo which we certainly have under consideration.

Here are a couple of more links that pertain to pick ups accessories new prices and specs that might be useful to the O/P that i foud in the motoring section all supplied by other posters i might add.

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehic...ng=en&new=1

http://www.sonirodban.com/

Regards TB

Many thanks for these links TB and we are definitely warming to the Navara since reading this review from the UK but the Vigo and D-Max look good too.  A difficult choice to make:

http://www.pickuptrucksdirect.co.uk/nissan-navara.asp

Hi, I run a Nissan Navara D40 Diesel, awsome truck, does everything i ask of it, good MPG as well.

FF

Thanks FF we are definitely warming to the Navara after reading the UK road test:

http://www.pickuptrucksdirect.co.uk/nissan-navara.asp

Do Not take to much notice of the Service Intervals in the UK as per link....... 'and lengthy 18,000-mile gaps between servicing mean that it will need few breaks from work, or play.'

Ask a Nissan Navada Owner in Thailand

On the UK website about the Isuzu D-Max the Service Intervals state 12,000 miles, on my 2008 D-Max Service Book here in Thailand it states 5,000 km, the same as it did on the 2004 - 2008 pickup I had before.

It is very Difficult to make up ones mind as there are things for and against all trucks in the end it is a personal decision, alough i am probably going to go for the Nissanas i like its 4speed Auto option an or 6 speed manual option and it in my opinion looks very good (as far as Trucks go).

But i have to agree the Toyota and D-MaX are fine trucks, loads of dealer ships all over the place if it wasn't for my attitude every one has got one then i would probabaly go with Toyota .

One thing that nearly put me of the Nissan was a saftey test done in 2008 where the airbag was found to deploy very late sending the dummies head under the airbag but some poster informed me that Nissan put it write within weeks of the find,also the 40mph crash test was very poor for the Nissan only scored 1 i think out o 5.

2009 tests were dramatically improved safety wise and i think it scored 3 on par with toyota.

Here just for your interest is the Crash test but dont forget this was in 2008 and the improvements have been made since.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7264155.stm?

VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS Crash test footage of the Navarra.

Oh and just one other point i believe Toyoa has a Auto option but it only comes on their 2.7 Ltr petrol engined model and it is only a four speed Box.

Happy hunting

TB

Edit....sorry i meant Nissan has a 5 speed Auto and not 4 as previously stated

Edited by tigerbalm

Oh and just one other point i believe Toyoa has a Auto option but it only comes on their 2.7 Ltr petrol engined model and it is only a four speed Box.

NO they have Auto on the Diesel 3.0L and yes the diesel and petrol ones are 4sp Auto.

alough i am probably going to go for the Nissanas i like its 4speed Auto option

Sorry the Auto is 5sp on the Navada...... the manual is 5 or 6 speed options depends on the model

NO they have Auto on the Diesel 3.0L and yes the diesel and petrol ones are 4sp Auto.

alough i am probably going to go for the Nissanas i like its 4speed Auto option

Sorry the Auto is 5sp on the Navada...... the manual is 5 or 6 speed options depends on the model

I stand corrected regarding the above high lighted you are correct i have just looked at their brochure both 3.0 Ltr 2 and 4 wheel drive have Auto

Only 80,000 km and you have ordered your next one? Is the "old" one for sale??? If so, PM me. Thanks.

We want to buy a new truck with the extended cab and bench seat with the half rear doors and put a Carryboy thing on the back of it. We will be running around CM and region collecting and delivering light packaged goods with occasional trips doing the same to Bangkok.  We also want to sling the kids in the back from time to time and the camping gear, when we are heading for the hills. We already have a saloon car which we are keeping so it won't be our only transport.

It seems like there are lots of choices to be made but I am finding it difficult to make comparisons or find Road Tests as the names don't match up in the UK /US.  Is an Isuzu whatsit really the same as a Chevy Colarado ? 

Diesel v Petrol, manual v auto (the Thais want auto) but I don't mind either, Nissan v Isuzu.  It's all a bit bewildering to an engineering know nout like me so I would be really grateful for the low down from the truck fraternity.

Many thanks.

Many thanks dear friends for your sound advice and wise counsel which is greatly appreciated.

I have today ordered the Nissan Navara SE 2.5 Auto which will be here in 2-3 weeks. We are then going to plonk a Carryboy 3G hardtop on the back which will, in effect, turn it into a very smart SUV perfectly suited to our needs. So far as I can match it the equivalent truck in the UK costs over 20k pounds and here in the Land of, VERY big smiles today, it is costing about 12.5k pounds.

Best wishes - rohitsuk