Okay, It's Time To Tell The Ugly Truth

submaniac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ugly. There I said it. You know that I am speaking the truth. Admit it.

:) Looking forward to some replies of CBR150 Owners.... PB where are you? Dave ?

i need to add...i would feel not suitable on the CBR150...maybe its me( am rather big too) or maybe it's the look of the bike...sure we we don't fit together...seating position is another story but we don't talk about this here, so as for pure looks ...it is not a pretty sight:-)

anyways this will be a funny thread :D ...hopefully people don't take it the wrong way and make it some flaming contest. :D

mbox

Sub! You're usually such an easy going guy- are you trying to stir up a hornets nest? :D:D:)

I don't find the CBR150 "ugly", just small. But for small Thai guys (or small people in general) it's a great little sportbike at an affordable price. Bulletproof Honda quality and parts and service can be found anywhere in Thailand.

Ride On!

T

I have a very different opinion here. The ergonomics may not suit my riding style etc., but I think this bike suits someone of a certain height and weight very well.

Just don't paint it in a way that might be appealing to a buy who rides BMX bicycles!

In Germany, lots for folks would hang fur tails from mirrowrs. they also added spoilers and silly "16 V" stickers on 8 valve Fords.

Nah. Not half as "ugly" as a Tiger Boxer (suddenly it's 1974). :D:D :D :):D :D :D :D

I'm 177 km tall; it fits me fine, and much taller guys.

A 2010 redesign with improved looks, 25hp, fuel injection, 175 cc, etc, is welcome.

A pink Fino with tassels, a police windshield, a top-box from Estonia: that's a Tiger ugly.

Sure Honda need upgrade the CBR now, but it is still the biggest selling small sportbike going...doesnt that tell u something?

Not everyone enjoys pouring 2stroke pollutionl out the exhaust.

Today I got passed at my usual 100kph by first a kawa 250 2smoker then a 125 yammy. Next set of lights...they were small specs in the mirror untill finally winding up and screaming past me again......only to be specs again at each subsequent set of lights. Ho hum!! hate to think of the gas they were consuming??

Ugly or not is a personal point of view but being left in the dust at lights doesnt look so good for sure.

But to show Im not totaly biased.....Im still interested in obtaining an NSR 150.... or better 250 but only if I can see clearly the advantage of doing so performance wise.

Nah. Not half as "ugly" as a Tiger Boxer (suddenly it's 1974). :D:D:D:):D:D:P:D

I'm 177 km tall; it fits me fine, and much taller guys.

A 2010 redesign with improved looks, 25hp, fuel injection, 175 cc, etc, is welcome.

A pink Fino with tassels, a police windshield, a top-box from Estonia: that's a Tiger ugly.

you are 177 km tall??? :P

Anyways the Boxer has generally great looks with the exception of the bikini fairing & windshield..... but on the cbr150 there is a bit more to be worked on...seeing that it is looking like a big bike that "shrank" because it was washed too hot. "Honey, i shrunk the CBR929!!!" :D

And PB whats wrong with estonia as topbox manufacturer???? Never knew there was a manufacturer of topboxes in estonia, but besides of tallin i haven't been much around there so you shall enlighten me ....

My chinese built topbox i can confirm as being crap though ....it fell off while driving and was replaced with the same junk as this is the only one i can find here.

As you mentioned yourself a redesign on the cbr150 is welcome... the redesign better be good...it is needed!

mbox

Sure Honda need upgrade the CBR now, but it is still the biggest selling small sportbike going...doesnt that tell u something?

Not everyone enjoys pouring 2stroke pollutionl out the exhaust.

Today I got passed at my usual 100kph by first a kawa 250 2smoker then a 125 yammy. Next set of lights...they were small specs in the mirror untill finally winding up and screaming past me again......only to be specs again at each subsequent set of lights. Ho hum!! hate to think of the gas they were consuming??

Ugly or not is a personal point of view but being left in the dust at lights doesnt look so good for sure.

But to show Im not totaly biased.....Im still interested in obtaining an NSR 150.... or better 250 but only if I can see clearly the advantage of doing so performance wise.

Are you saying you out-accelerated a 250 2 stroke on a CBR150?

I've not seen many Kawasaki 2 strokes in LOS. Any idea what model it was?

I'm not sure even Thai mechanics could make a 250 smoker that slow...

Edited by JonnyF

Are you saying you out-accelerated a 250 2 stroke on a CBR150?

I've not seen many Kawasaki 2 strokes in LOS. Any idea what model it was?

I'm not sure even Thai mechanics could (deliberately) make a 250 smoker that slow...

I'm sure that's a typo. Firstly because AFAIK, the Kawasaki has not produced a 250cc 2 stroke street motorcycle since at least 1990....KH250 production was stopped in 1980; that's the last one I can remember.

This is a silly thread anyways; as noted here and elsewhere, finding a good condition NSR 150R for a fair price could be a bit of a challenge. There was a board member who has (had?) a VFR400 and thought he'd have as much fun with a NSR 150....ask him how much money he sunk into it to get it running well. Add in the lack of warranty, high maintenance, and all the other bits that go with a 2 stroke and I wouldn't buy a used one except for a toy.

And I don't think it's that much of a stretch that a CBR 150R out-accelerated a NSR from a stoplight; supposedly they're within a 5 kg of each other, and as I pointed out in the other thread a 'real' dyno run (nobody's been able to produce a run that disproves Tyga's) on the NSR has it within a few HP of the CBR's purported power....the lower end power available to the CBR should have it taking off quicker.

None the less, if someone were to offer a 250cc direct injection 2 stroke at some 50+ HP I'd be all over it (assuming I didn't die of sticker shock me being Cheap Charlie no.1 and all).

Re out accelerating the 2 strokes......I would have been a kilometer down the road before they passed me each time doing about 120 or so. Both were VERY old bikes.

After the lights they both were very small specs in the mirror for some considerable time.

Mind you, Im usually across the intersection before anyone else has put brain into gear and released the clutch, cars included. It has to be a top line car that sees me off at lights for sure.

And...I dont jump the green either. I also make damned sure there are no red crashes coming thru too.

That is what I found so dissapointing with the NSR I tried, untill it hit 7000 there was simply no power. After that, sure, it would see the CBR off. But unless u sit at the lights with heaps of throttle wound on it needs wind up to that 7k before anything happens.

And...I dont jump the green either. I also make damned sure there are no red crashes coming thru too.

I was just about to say that... it's not wise to be first off the green, particularly in Thailand. There's always somebody squeezing in in the other direction. Almost had an accident because of this once but that was in the USA, was cruising towards an empty intersection at a perfect speed to arrive there just as it turned green, then only narrowly avoided the idiot pick-up red crasher.

Back on topic, I really like the looks of the CBR150. If it was man-sized it would be quite interesting :):D :D

I was just about to say that... it's not wise to be first off the green, particularly in Thailand. There's always somebody squeezing in in the other direction. Almost had an accident because of this once but that was in the USA, was cruising towards an empty intersection at a perfect speed to arrive there just as it turned green, then only narrowly avoided the idiot pick-up red crasher.

Back on topic, I really like the looks of the CBR150. If it was man-sized it would be quite interesting :D :D :D

Like a 600 or 1000 you mean?

Last Kwak 2 stroke of any importance was the KR1S.

135 mph anyone.

I dont think the little Honda is ugly by a long way. Its just a very small bike thats all.

Just had to get Eddie Lawson in there side ways on a Z1000..... :)

post-8817-1253315512.jpg

post-8817-1253315677.jpg

post-8817-1253315692.jpg

post-8817-1253315705.jpg

Edited by soihok

Yes, it's ugly from any view bar side-on. It's far too thin. Pump out the fairings a bit, like the old 150 2strokes and it'd be perfect (for what it is.)

Agreed it's a little thin looking from the front but apart from that I think it's a fairly good looking 150 "sports style" bike.

Yes, it's ugly from any view bar side-on. It's far too thin. Pump out the fairings a bit, like the old 150 2strokes and it'd be perfect (for what it is.)

Agreed it's a little thin looking from the front but apart from that I think it's a fairly good looking 150 "sports style" bike.

The top fairing from the CBR125 (same bike but 125 engine and for Euro area only.) addresses that concern. Much better for protection and looks plus the bonus of better lights. I tried to buy to put on my CBR but so far no luck

The Honda CBR-125 is not only sold in Europa, basically we can say the Honda CBR-125 is sold all over the world and the Honda CBR-150 is only sold in 3 or 4 countries including Thailand, and Australia where they (I was told) are only sold as race-track machines and are not road legal. (The CBR125R is available in Australia as road legal bike)

The Honda Sonic 125, CBR125 and CBR150 all use the same engine, the only difference is the combustion assemble (cylinder, cylinder-head and all part associated with this), of course the other difference between the CBR125 and CBR150 is the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) and carburetor fueling.

The statement of beauty or ugly is a very personal thing, personally I find the Honda CBR150 not a disturbing machine to look at. Sure some Thai boys are able to changes this image by changing tyres which seem skinnier then tyres on tour-the-France bicycles...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yes. Yes I am. However, I still find the CBR150 to be ugly. :D

I've been told I'm not the nicest looking bloke out there; but it's the performance that matters....:)

The Honda CBR-125 is not only sold in Europa, basically we can say the Honda CBR-125 is sold all over the world and the Honda CBR-150 is only sold in 3 or 4 countries including Thailand, and Australia where they (I was told) are only sold as race-track machines and are not road legal. (The CBR125R is available in Australia as road legal bike)

The Honda Sonic 125, CBR125 and CBR150 all use the same engine, the only difference is the combustion assemble (cylinder, cylinder-head and all part associated with this), of course the other difference between the CBR125 and CBR150 is the PGM-FI (fuel-injection) and carburetor fueling.

The statement of beauty or ugly is a very personal thing, personally I find the Honda CBR150 not a disturbing machine to look at. Sure some Thai boys are able to changes this image by changing tyres which seem skinnier then tyres on tour-the-France bicycles...

I think that the design has held up well over the years; seeing how it was designed way back in 2003(?) and still looks fairly good even against the angular designs that seem to be all the rage now-a-days. As mentioned by others, simply changing the front end to the CBR 125's would do the trick to make it more relevant.

I disagree about the width though. Trying to make it a wider bike would, in my opinon, make it a posuer. It's not even 250 class, the bare minimum that most people would consider a 'real' bike. I appreciate it for what it is; a nice narrow, cheap, economical, and pretty darn fast for its size bike. Comfort is subjective, but I don't find it any worst than the other bikes in my house. Threading through city traffic it has never been left behind and as long as the big bikes aren't trying to put you in your place it can eventually reach the same(ish) cruising speeds.

As you mentioned the engine is the same-same as the other two; having any grease monkey the kingdom over know exactly what to do if you break down in the arse end of the world is great peace of mind. The warranty offered and the fact you can still buy replacement parts, from the dealership, at reasonable prices is a huge win in my book.