Okay, It's Time To Tell The Ugly Truth

submaniac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sub's miffed about the NSR150 thread.......

Yes. Yes I am. However, I still find the CBR150 to be ugly. :)

Sub... I missed a shift into second gear yesterday. Now THAT was ugly!

post-498-1253490841_thumb.jpg post-498-1253491012_thumb.jpg

To reiterate my first reply......Looks are a personal thing and thank god we dont all like the same..be sooooo boring!!

But the CBR 150 is still the biggest selling (numbers) small sport bike in Thailand by far so I guess the majority think it is ok for looks, value and performance for money.

It's only way too small, not ugly.

Imho it fits guys up to max 170cm, not more.

I posted a question almost three years ago on the CBR-150 thread about its fit for a tall guy. Riding one for almost three years, just got back from a 300 km trip up to Doi Angkhan/Chiang Dao and it fits me just fine. I'm 188 cm tall and weigh about 86K. It is a small bike, but with that you get light weight which makes for a lot of fun in the mountains. My only real complaint about the bike is that it needs a turbo-charger when you get up to high altitudes. That might make it even uglier so maybe someone like submaniac will give it a go!

Funny comment from PB.... Last year on a ride we ran into a guy from Bangkok on a CBR-150 at Doi Tung. He was taller than I was and he looked like Yao Ming!!!

Sure Honda need upgrade the CBR now, but it is still the biggest selling small sportbike going...doesnt that tell u something?

Is that because its the only one you can buy? :)

No it isnt..........what about Tiger and Kawasaki??? Direct competitors but still more Honda CBR 150 sold even tho its now due for re-juvenisation. And I am not bagging either of those bikes...both are good bikes.

But the CBR 150 is still the biggest selling (numbers) small sport bike in Thailand by far so I guess the majority think it is ok for looks, value and performance for money.

But what are the alternatives mate?

Erm.... You buy a CBR150 if you can't afford a Ninja 250? :D

Ducks and covers!!! :)

Nah.....wasnt the money. I checked out the options very carefully and the CBR came out on top in every direction for my requirements.

Manouvability in traffic, economy, performance up to 120kph. and to boot can buy 2 CBRs for one Ninja 250 and still have plenty of beer money left over.

But Id still like another 20hp from the CBR....maybe a superchager?? Bigger top fairing, wider rims, and twin discs up front.

Ahhh well Maybe Honda will come up with a good new years present for us??? Joke!!

I have both the Ninja and the CBR...guess which gets more usage?

I've also ridden on the Boxer and to be honest didn't like it. Granted it's a single cylinder just like the CBR but it's much more 'shakey'. Some guys like that, hel_l some guys like Harleys, but I'm not one of them. The CBR doesn't vibrate enough to bother me most of the time.

Then again the Ninja wasn't available when I purchased the CBR. Perhaps (although I am a Honda whore) I would have developed such emotion for it as I have the the baby CBR had the situation been different.

I don't see Honda releasing anything that will fit the dreams of those in this forum. What do they currently have in the sub 600 department? The VTR 250? It has less HP than the Ninja. It would take a return of the CBR 250R's engine to meet the requirements being doled out here.

Having said that it would still be nice to see a CBR 1000 for near the same price I'd pay in the States.....

Hi Dave,

Don't be that fast, the Honda VTR250 2010 is nothing like the 2008 model, it has two step PGM-FI fuel-injection, something not even the Kawasaki Ninja 250R has it has something near variable ignition timing something Kawasaki doesn't have. It has grown a few centimeter and I can promise the 2010 Honda VTR250 is more then able to take competition head on... power, price, service and availability...

Some other models Honda is preparing to produce in Thailand would be tricky, personally I not think Thai people go for a Retro, but the XR223 Motard would be a winner if the price was right.

The lucky numbers of Honda for 2010 are 110, 125, and 250. (I calculate 223cc in the same group as 250, registration and insurance is the same)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Erm.... You buy a CBR150 if you can't afford a Ninja 250? :D

Ducks and covers!!! :)

Nah.....wasnt the money. I checked out the options very carefully and the CBR came out on top in every direction for my requirements.

Manouvability in traffic, economy, performance up to 120kph. and to boot can buy 2 CBRs for one Ninja 250 and still have plenty of beer money left over.

But Id still like another 20hp from the CBR....maybe a superchager?? Bigger top fairing, wider rims, and twin discs up front.

Ahhh well Maybe Honda will come up with a good new years present for us??? Joke!!

So it's not about the money but 2 of the 4 reasons you gave are about money, the third is incorrect (a Ninja will murder a CBR up to 120) and I'm not even sure about the 4th (manouverability) unless your talking about parking lot speeds - I'd much rather be on the Ninja at anything over 60kph, especially if I want to overtake anything.

And you want 20 more hp (Ninja has about 16 more depending on how you measure it), you want a wider fairing and wider rims (both of which the Ninja has). Few would argue which is the prettier bike. But the CBR came out on top for your requirements. Each to their own, but that's strange logic...

So it's not about the money but 2 of the 4 reasons you gave are about money, the third is incorrect (a Ninja will murder a CBR up to 120) and I'm not even sure about the 4th (manouverability) unless your talking about parking lot speeds - I'd much rather be on the Ninja at anything over 60kph, especially if I want to overtake anything.

And you want 20 more hp (Ninja has about 16 more depending on how you measure it), you want a wider fairing and wider rims (both of which the Ninja has). Few would argue which is the prettier bike. But the CBR came out on top for your requirements. Each to their own, but that's strange logic...

Firstly, I believe that he was pointing out that even though he could afford either,the CBR offers a better value for his needs. I also appreciate that train of thought; yes, I'm a right tight b@stard.

Don't discount the narrowness of the CBR over the Ninja; there's openings that the CBR can squirt through that I'd hesitate to try and attack with the Ninja.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to say about the HP....do you actually believe that the Ninja is 16 HP more powerful than the CBR? If that's true, than the CBR is only putting out 10 HP at the rear wheel! Quite contrary to the 17 reported and much less than the 13 from the CBR 125....I will concede the fact that the Ninja is at least 53% more horsepower though; however there's no ambiguity about the weight gain, 31% more mass. That power/weight disparity scales very well into the Ninja's favour though when you stick one of us 'fat' falangs on the bike.:)

This is going to sound odd; but for 'high' speed riding going through twisties I'd rather have the CBR. The front end of the Ninja seems to wallow about like a Lancashire pig in muck during August when I really push it. I've got some new heavier springs that should alleviate that though. Over taking has not been an issue on either bike except for in excess of say 100 for the CBR and 120 for the Ninja. Then on either bike it's good to drop at least one gear. Nobody can fault a Honda transmission, those downshifts are performed much more quickly on the CBR than on the Ninja especially if you got to grab two gears. The Ninja's positive neutral finder is really nice though.

The Ninja looks MUCH better from the side but the front is, IMNSHO, an awful lot like a pregnant woman's bum.

08_Ninja250R_Front.jpg

Now compare that to the fit and trim CBR 150R.

honda-cbr-150-2005-0.jpg

(sorry I couldn't find a better frontal picture...)

Yes... maybe Im a tight bastard too. I came very close to choosing the Kawa 250 but at the final conclusion the nimbleness of the CBR won because of the traffic I drive in, and also figured, was the economy. The combo of extra 90K outlay and virtually double the monthly gas bill (signifacant with the miles I do) was a deciding factor. I have a CBR 400 also and found the 150 much easier, and faster in the traffic. When the road opens up sure the 400 eats the 150 but my commute is faster by a few minutes only, but 4 times the gas usage. The Kawa is significatly wider than the CBR 400 so even less manouvable.

I know I defeated my reasoning with my wish list for the 150........but if I had the kawa 250 Id want the 650. Riding the 400 I wish it were a 600.......guess thats life. They are all great bikes.

Some other models Honda is preparing to produce in Thailand would be tricky, personally I not think Thai people go for a Retro, but the XR223 Motard would be a winner if the price was right.

I also saw the 233 retro and thought, kinda cool, but would Thais have a sense of nostalgia that a retro design needs for it to sell ?? Or would it just look 'old' ??

Do you have images of the XR 233 motard ?? I did a quick google and found nothing.

If we're talking ugly bikes those "Joker" ones are the pits. I never question why I don't see many about. Hideous.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but there are some vehicles that make you wonder how they ever got of the drawing board let alone in to full production.

The only people who need to worry about how they look are the poor sods that have to ride them! :)

So you pity my wife also......? :D

Hi Dave, from the way that is written it leaves me open to criticism, doesn't it!

My apologies to those who love there CBR150 and who didn't have enough cash to buy a Kwaka Ninja 250.

And to those who had the bike bought for them and couldn't tell their partner to take it back and get a Kwaka Ninja 250.

And to those that are big of heart, but short in stature, and didn't know a lower gel seat is available for the Kwaka Ninja 250.

Have I missed anyone?

Hi Dave, from the way that is written it leaves me open to criticism, doesn't it!

My apologies to those who love there CBR150 and who didn't have enough cash to buy a Kwaka Ninja 250.

And to those who had the bike bought for them and couldn't tell their partner to take it back and get a Kwaka Ninja 250.

And to those that are big of heart, but short in stature, and didn't know a lower gel seat is available for the Kwaka Ninja 250.

Have I missed anyone?

Those whose wives bought them the Ninja and then shit their pants when their wife decides to sell the old CBR. But then get that warm fuzzy feeling when the CBR is bought back.....

Seriously I have a, perhaps an irrational, attachment to the little CBR. It's the bike that got me back into riding after quite a long hiatus and seems to be just about the perfect bike for Thailand especially if you live in the city and don't use it as a primary mode of transportation ('cuz if you did you'd want something with a hook or front basket).

And I'm not big in heart......that's a gas tank for my sex machine.

I also saw the 233 retro and thought, kinda cool, but would Thais have a sense of nostalgia that a retro design needs for it to sell ?? Or would it just look 'old' ??

Do you have images of the XR 233 motard ?? I did a quick google and found nothing.

I think that Richard may be talking about the CRF230M (a Motard version of the CRF230L). Not my cup of tea due to it being a thumper and a low HP motor (as in a measured 14.3 HP-that's the L model but same-same engine). Motorcyclist did a report on it last month but as I remember they weren't impressed too much with it. Gets really good milage though.

Have I missed anyone?

Those whose wives bought them the Ninja and then shit their pants when their wife decides to sell the old CBR. But then get that warm fuzzy feeling when the CBR is bought back.....

Seriously I have a, perhaps an irrational, attachment to the little CBR. It's the bike that got me back into riding after quite a long hiatus and seems to be just about the perfect bike for Thailand especially if you live in the city and don't use it as a primary mode of transportation ('cuz if you did you'd want something with a hook or front basket).

And I'm not big in heart......that's a gas tank for my sex machine.

Have you replaced ths stock tyres on the Ninja yet? I recall from an earlier thread you had a crash on the Ninja pretty soon after buying it, this might explain your "lack of bonding" with the bike especially if you're still riding with the POS IRC's that come with the bike and possibly contributed to the crash. Such an easy change to make and it improves the stability and cornering of the bike no end.

Have you replaced ths stock tyres on the Ninja yet? I recall from an earlier thread you had a crash on the Ninja pretty soon after buying it, this might explain your "lack of bonding" with the bike especially if you're still riding with the POS IRC's that come with the bike and possibly contributed to the crash. Such an easy change to make and it improves the stability and cornering of the bike no end.

Perhaps the high side is the reason I don't have any feelings for it. Only time I dropped the CBR was at the track when I hit a corner to tight and the bike stepped out on me.

I haven't changed the rubber yet; I've got quite a few things to do when I get home; fork springs, crashbungs, rear spools, brake lines, decals and tyres. Have a ride planned for the 21st so I have a lot of work to do before then. I do believe that if I wasn't so *ahem* big, the handling would be much better and would inspire more confidence for me.

Also looking at some cheap aftermarket exhausts; they definitely don't mess with you about sound levels out where I live.