Songkran 2010

bolt

Dear all

my older sister (46) is coming out to visit me end of March to 19th April 2010, I have experienced songkran only once before in pattaya, and it is extremely dangerous to be in the city for more than 2 days, where can I take my Big Sis without her getting soaked every 5 min's .

Anywhere will do

The Songkran dates are expected to be 12th April -20th April?

Dear all

my older sister (46) is coming out to visit me end of March to 19th April 2010, I have experienced songkran only once before in pattaya, and it is extremely dangerous to be in the city for more than 2 days, where can I take my Big Sis without her getting soaked every 5 min's .

Anywhere will do

Singapore.

but seriously, why not head to somewhere with less of a party atmosphere, hua hin? but you will get a bit wet I am sure.

Dear all

Anywhere will do

Bangkok's deserted during songkran, and best time to go shopping in the modern malls,

all the hotels etc. still opens.

Dear all

Anywhere will do

go take a look on www.amazingthailand.com

I would have thought that coming all the way to Thailand, it would be great to experience the fun at Songkran. 46 is not too old to join in, and I have never found it dangerous over the past 13 years I have lived here. I'm now in my late 50's and look forward to climbing in the back of an open truck and throwing water with the rest of them. There is only one life, live it to the full.

We live in a major province in the Northeast and personally it does not matter where you go, just be prepared to get wet. Very Wet! I personally don't mind the opening day of Songkran but after that it does get a little old and dangerous. Now I just pull a "Howard Hughes" at Songkran. Stock up on plenty of beer and food and just hang around my concrete jungle. If i do go anywhere it is by car. Fortunatly this year we will be in the States for the month of April.

Make sure your sister takes some prophylactics. (jing jing). Not being overly paranoid as I know plenty of people who get sick every year during this time. Not like your getting showered with spring water. The water that you are getting soaked with is filled with bacteria and parasites. You may be resistant to most if you have been living here for a while, but your sisters resistance will be down if she is coming from the west. Enjoy the festivities! :)

We live in a major province in the Northeast and personally it does not matter where you go, just be prepared to get wet. Very Wet! I personally don't mind the opening day of Songkran but after that it does get a little old and dangerous. Now I just pull a "Howard Hughes" at Songkran. Stock up on plenty of beer and food and just hang around my concrete jungle. If i do go anywhere it is by car. Fortunatly this year we will be in the States for the month of April.

Make sure your sister takes some prophylactics. (jing jing). Not being overly paranoid as I know plenty of people who get sick every year during this time. Not like your getting showered with spring water. The water that you are getting soaked with is filled with bacteria and parasites. You may be resistant to most if you have been living here for a while, but your sisters resistance will be down if she is coming from the west. Enjoy the festivities! :)

Dear all

Anywhere will do

Singapore.

but seriously, why not head to somewhere with less of a party atmosphere, hua hin? but you will get a bit wet I am sure.

I was in Hua Hin a few years ago for Songkran. It basically took place in around the bars and on a few other streets. It was actually a lot of fun. The Thais are pretty gentle people and it was interesting to see how they would softly throw the water or take care not to hit someone in the face. Probably a departure from my gfriend and I on the roof of the hotel with a water hose spraying the Chinese parade below. Some of the women in the parade did not look too happy with our antics but I think the Thais appreciated it. :)

Out of all the Sonkrans I have experienced, the one in Chiang Mai was the absolute BEST. It was an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. We stayed at a hotel "on the strip" and went straight from the hotel to the street, got an open motorbike tuk-tuk with bench seats and a trashcan provided. When we went down the street, very slowly, we did the water thing and each time we run out of water the wonderful people standing near the lake/river would fill up our trashcan out of gracious kindness. It was a wonderful experience! I highly recommend going to Chiang Mai. Also, you can go and see the "long-neck" tribes while you are there.

Songkran occurs on different days (at least in 2009) around Thailand, but usually on the same week.

This past April, while the H2O was being slung in Bangkok, I was in Pattaya where things were relatively dry, only a handful of the same tourists :) were throwing water...all week. When the Thai's started up in Pattaya, I went to Bangkok, where Songkran was over.

If you don't want to get wet, avoid the major streets and areas where people congregate, but still, even walking down a soi, someone could drive past and drench you. You should be safe on the BTS, MRT and inside malls, but there are no guarantees coming and going from these places.

Don't forget the zipplock plastic bags for money, ciggies etc.!!

Oh so true. Getting splashed by the water and the understanding behind the purpose of the water can be quite fun. It is a day(s) that makes me feel like a Thai myself. I absolutely love going with the family different places during Sonkran. It is quite an experience. And DON'T FORGET THE PLASTIC BAGS

Been there, done it. Great thing about Thailand is its proximity to places like Langkawi or Penang. Think you will find that for women of a certain age the novelty of Songkran wears off very quickly, usually after the first outfit has been soaked. :)

• 2 months later...
Kanchanaburi has one day of gridlocked water madness, but the other days are really quite sedate

so it is on Koh Samui - the 13th. To avoid that: On the beaches it is beach life as usuall.

We also have a Beach in Kan and no problems there during Songkran :D

Kan Beach

Songkran as I see it

on the 17th April

Kanchanaburi has one day of gridlocked water madness

Have Fun :D

Sawadee :)

• 4 months later...
Been there, done it. Great thing about Thailand is its proximity to places like Langkawi or Penang. Think you will find that for women of a certain age the novelty of Songkran wears off very quickly, usually after the first outfit has been soaked. :)

Dunno about 'women of a certain age', I think i've hit the 'men of a certain age' point. Used to find it fun years ago, now however....

First time drenched through, not bad, quite fun

Second time, well that was OK, I guess

Third time, not so good

Fourth time, <deleted> off leave me alone!!

....and dont get me going on the powder LOL