Movies Based In Thailand

thaiaan

I know a lot of Hollywood films are shot in Thailand but they are usually Vietnam War movies or generic exotic backdrops for Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider type movies.The Beach is one specifically set in Thailand even though it centered on Westerners in their enclave and the few Thais were portrayed as sleazy and corrupt.I remember a Tom Hanks comedy called Volunteers and it also may have been in Thailand with the same sleazy and corrupt Thai characters.Can't think of any other movies specifically set in Thailand.

//USA bashing rant removed - RDN

Edited by RDN

Most famous are prolly

Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) with Alec Guinness and William Holden.

I think actually filmed in Sri Lanka (Ceylon at the time).

The King and I (1957?) with Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr but don't know where it was shot.

How quickly we forget those epic movies made in LOS like.

Tarzan's Three Challenges made in 1963.

During the filming, Jock Mahoney contracted amoebic dysentery and dengue fever, and finally pneumonia, going from 220 to 175 pounds before finishing the film. The movie has that effect on most people.

I know about this little gem because my wife’s mother is an eye candy extra for about 10 seconds and she has a video that she just has to share with all about her Hollywood movie debut.

I watched a Steven Seagal movie recently called Belly of the Beast. It was pretty much shot exclusively in Thailand. Think all the major Thai parts were played by Hong Kong actors, as most of the names in the end credits were Chinese. Seagal pretty much turns Thai in it.

Think it's still showing on Sophon Cable, but I don't recommend watching it.

How quickly we forget those epic movies made in LOS like.

Tarzan's Three Challenges made in 1963.

During the filming, Jock Mahoney contracted amoebic dysentery and dengue fever, and finally pneumonia, going from 220 to 175 pounds before finishing the film. The movie has that effect on most people.

I know about this little gem because my wife’s mother is an eye candy extra for about 10 seconds and she has a video that she just has to share with all about her Hollywood movie debut.

is that her in your avatar ? :o

There was one fairly recently about two American girls who were tricked into smuggling heroin and got arrested.

One of the girls took the rap and was sentenced to life. The other one went free.

Not too bad actually but I can't think of the name right now... :o

There was one fairly recently about two American girls who were tricked into smuggling heroin and got arrested.

One of the girls took the rap and was sentenced to life.  The other one went free.

You're probably thinking of 'Brokedown Palace.' I thought it was dim-witted melodrama for the Lou Diamond Phillips teeny bopper types, but hey, each to his own.

Regardless, it was filmed in the Phillipines because it portrayed Thais, particularly cops and government officials, as stupid and corrupt. Gee, nothing could be further from the truth, huh?

One of the girls took the rap and was sentenced to life.  The other one went free.

I think it was Breakdown Palace.

One of the most famous movies made partly in Thailand was The Deer Hunter. In 1977 I spent 6 months in Thailand and met a number of farang backpackers who'd had a "short back and sides" so they could be extras in the film.

Another one was Off Limits (a.k.a. Saigon). They filmed part of this on Soi Cowboy - the Moonshine Bar, as I recall. When I saw the film at a cinema in Bangkok, the distributors had smeared vaseline around the edges of many outdoor street shots, presumably to mask obvious local features and preserve the illusion that it was actually Saigon. It was really pathetic.

Air Opium was filmed and set partly in Thailand. The production crew borrowed some original (and irreplacable) issues the Air Opium Newletter from a friend of mine and never returned them.

Another one, which I never saw, that was filmed/set in Thailand was Natural Causes. Based on a Jake Needham book, it starred Ali MacGraw (Love Story, The Getaway) and Tim Thomerson (Trancers).

And of course there was Marlon Brando in The Ugly American, filmed in Thailand and set in some fictional country that bore a remarkable resemblance to Vietnam. M.R. Kukrit Pramoj also starred as Prime Minister Kwen Sai.

I think it was Breakdown Palace.

That was one..there was another on the same theme 'Bangkok Hilton'

Recently, the last scenes of Alexandra the Great were filmed in issan on the laos border.

I forgot about that one. I had dinner with an Irish guy who was playing a leading role, if not the main one. He also said that he had been in 'Bend it like Beckham', and 'Velvet Goldmine'. He was a really nice, genuine guy. I did a search on my computer and found out that this guy, Johnny, had heaps of fan clubs and was voted by one magazine as in the top 10 sexiest men in the world. Told a few funny stories about Oliver Stone, and one amazing drunken story about his exploits with Ewan McGregor one night, which I don't think I can write about here. I wish I had taken some photos, as he is seemingly going to be the next Tom Cruise!

"Ong-Bok - Thai Warrior" is playing at movie theatres in the States now.

Also playing in oz theatres and receiving rave reviews. The protagonist doesn’t use any wires and does all the stunts himself. I watched an interview with him and he was inspired by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li, which can evidently be seen. Tony Jaa is amazing in this role and it’s hard to believe that once in his life he was only a stunt double in Mortal Combat (which is amazing when compared to the acting in that movie :D ).

Bridget Jones' diary PT 2 is mainly shot here... it is not very good though...
Thailand was a fragment of the novel and was exponentiated in the movie. However, Colin Firth was as sexy as ever grrrrr.
That was one..there was another on the same theme 'Bangkok Hilton'

I loved the miniseries and thought Nicky (along with the remainder of the cast) did a great job :o .

The 1983 film "Uncommon Valor",featuring Gene Hackman and Patrick Swayze, showed some scenes set in Thailand in the late 70's/early 80's. In the film, Gene Hackman plays an ex-colonel from the Korean War who takes some ex-marines (his son's old commrades) into Laos to free his son who he believes is one of the few leftover POW's from the Vietnam War. Not a spectacular plot but good, tropical scenery. Even in '83 Hackman looked old! :o

Air America ! (With Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr). The movie was set in Laos, but filmed mainly in Mae Hong Son.

In one scene, Mel Gibson is flying a chopper with R.D. Jr hanging underneath, tied by a rope. They fly over a large pond and a Buddhist temple a few times.

That pond and temple are in the center (almost) of Mae Hong Son, and the airport was used as the Vientiane (spelling ?) airport.

Kind of strange feeling. I had seen the movie 2 or 3 times before my first trip to Mae Hong Son. When I stepped off the plane, there was the terminal building right out of the movie. I started looking around for crashed aircraft littering the tarmac.

I think the nightclub scenes may have been filmed in Chang Mai though, as I didn't see anything resembling a "red light" area then ('98).

in the 1980's...good morning vietnam..shot in bangkok i new a couple on packpackers who were extras in the nightclub bombing scene

they also said that robin williams and the big black guy(forget name)

were funny and very nice too them...........

also the movie about the two farang girls getting busted for drugs in thailand (forget name too) was mostly filmed in the P.i. acording to the

credits at the end......see ya bye bye