6 Foreigners Arrested In Online Investment Scam

webfact

Thanks for this story. I've been looking for investments and I'll stay away from these local deals. As soon as I get that really big deposit from that nice Nigerian guy, I am going to invest some of it!

Have I got a deal for you Scotty ? + :D What a coincidence,,,that Nigeriam has been on to me too. :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL some gamblers lost their money, some clever people took it .....hard to feel any sorrow for them.

who wants to make money the easy way has to learn sometimes......

These f...g stock market GAMBLERS are destroying OUR worlds economy,

I wish all stock market gamblers an unsuccesfull day, may u LOOOSE LOOOOSE Looooooooooose :)

By the way, Regarding this nigerian scams. Just got in the mail a check for 12,000.00 USD. Thinking to F*** them over and keep them all. :):D :D

Or maybe they are just hard working scam artist and should I share?

I'll think about it for a while and we'll see...............................

Thanks for this story. I've been looking for investments and I'll stay away from these local deals. As soon as I get that really big deposit from that nice Nigerian guy, I am going to invest some of it!

Interesting that Boiler rooms are still alive and well here. The only thing the police here usually do is deport the perpetrators as working without a work permit and fining them 2,000 Baht. Big deal!

Now if we could get the Nigerians to run boiler rooms - that could work in getting them out of Thailand!

:)

JOINT OFFER PROPOSAL

32, Werktreker St , Boksberg,

South Africa

Tel: <snip>

Dear Sir,

As stated above, my names are Mr. Jonas Omar Bongo. I am 37 years of age, and a son of the former Gabon president, late El Hadj. Omar Bongo Ondimba.

My mother Katharina and I are interested in relocating to your country, and venturing all of our funds in excess of some US$32. Million, All in US$100 bills; in your line of business, and under your auspices and management.

All funds having being earmarked for our family security deposits in South Africa, and accrued from the sales of crude oil. After the death of my father on the 8th of June 2009, my elder brother Ali Benard of a different mother has decided to take control of our late father's great fortunes and to become the next president of Gabon.

I and my mother have been able to secure the documents of the above amount deposited in my mother's name.

The funds are presently kept in the custody of a private depository firm here in South Africa.

We urgently seek your partnership to move the funds out of Africa and invest it in profitable ventures with you to avoid my half brother taking it from us.

You are to take home 25% of the gross for all your anticipated assistance by the time the funds are successfully lodged in your nominated accounts overseas. But first of all we will need to know you more, and also we would need to move the funds and of course ourselves out of South Africa as soon as we can possibly arrange that to be.

My mother and I have carefully worked out the modalities for the eventual transfer. You are to participate as our foreign partner in the scheme of arrangement. My mother personally requested that I send this mail to you to seek your assistance and participation.

Kindly signify your interest by replying through my E-mail address //e-mail removed//, or better still you can give me a call on my direct number, which is //phone # removed//, for a more detailed insight.

Kindest regards

Jonas Omar Bongo.

Wonder if they advertised here in this forum:)

--------

in a response to your question whether or not, if any of those person ever advertises here.... pls read the followings:

i am sorry.... the post might be a little too small to read comfortably

nakachalet,

Firstly, it's not good posting private messages. Secondly, if you're brave enough, you can PM me for my phone number and we can have a chat, meet in Bangkok and I can easily show you the company registration documents. Just because one investment is found to be fraudulent is not a sound basis for assuming they all are.

I am offering a genuine investment, and if you can't be bothered to ask the right questions and meet me to see the documents, that's not my fault.

I challenge you to PROVE using hard facts, not hearsay, that my offer is in any way a scam or fraud!

MNM

Perhaps these jerks neglected to pay off the local plods like the other boiler rooms have done but I hope it might actually signal a crackdown on boiler room operators and other scamsters. Thai authorities have for too long taken the short sighted view that foreigners ripping off other foreigners was not an issue for them. In the early 2000s they refused to act on complaints from Australia and New Zealand about Thai boiler rooms and when they did act they mainly only charged them with immigration and work permit offences. Big boiler rooms were able to continue and even murder each other over turf disputes with impunity. The Thais didn't realise then that this type of bad smell coming out of Thailand has a negative effect on foreign investment, exports and tourism.

Hopefully time is up for all the unlicensed expat financial consultant cold callers who offer shoddy self serving advice too.

Name of the company please?

As some investment-firms have recently been calling my office a lot and asking to come and give consultation-meetings which I have always declined...

If you get companies asking to meet personally face to face, that's hardly going to be a scam. They were cheated over the internet so thats a completely different ball game. Them people never met anyone.

If people want to meet with you, im sure that they're working for a credible company or they wouldn't want you to see their face :)

Another one.

Investment scheme lands Aussie in jail

19:55 AEST Sun Sep 20 2009

By Ron Corben

A 64-year-old Australian businessman allegedly involved in dubious gold investment schemes in Thailand is being held in a Thai prison after his arrest last week.

Lance Frederick Shaw was detained at Suvarnabhumi airport on Tuesday on an arrest warrant over allegations of defrauding hundreds of thousands of dollars in an online gold investment scam.

Police sources told AAP on Sunday Shaw was being held at a prison near the resort town of Pattaya, 120 kilometres from Bangkok where he had been operating the online gold investment company known as Hiperfinance (High Performance Finance).

Thai police had refused to grant bail at a brief court hearing last week "due to the seriousness and number of charges against Shaw", reports said.

Up to six cases, involving up to 10 million baht ($A370,000), have been filed against Shaw who had allegedly targeted Australian and British investors in particular.

An investigative report conducted by the Bangkok Post in August claimed investors had lost amounts of between $A11,500 and $A290,000 in the online investment company.

The reports said investors had lost homes, savings, wedding funds and retirement savings.

Continued here http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/865528/in...-aussie-in-jail

By the way, Regarding this nigerian scams. Just got in the mail a check for 12,000.00 USD. Thinking to F*** them over and keep them all.   

Gosh I must be missing something here.  You have heard about those people that come in to the middle of a  conversation.   Either I did or you did..if you think your going to scam them by keeping a check they sent you...LOL.   THe best thing you could do is deposit it and keep half the money...send the rest back to them....so at least your not a complete idiot......only a half-wit....LOL :):D:D    Let us know the actual amount you end up with after 60days it will be interesting what you learn :D:D:D:D oops!

Edited by oops

Practical expressions of greed.

There may be greed if you:

...keep "wish lists" of desired objects to purchase.

...can't say "no" when offered money to do a job.

...are always seeking ways to make more money.

...feel resentment when someone acquires what you would like to have

...have fallen for several "get rich quick" schemes. ...joined a multi-level marketing?

...are disturbed after losing a relatively small amount of money.

...become perturbed when you purchase an item and find it cheaper elsewhere.

...feel good and find relief in going shopping.

...would rather have a high paying job than one which is interesting and rewarding

...despise paying taxes and have sympathy for those who find ways to avoid such.

...feel uneasy around people who are wealthier than you.

...make disparaging remarks about people who are rich.

...engage in the "one-up-man-ship" of topping another's accounts of acquisitions.

...go to an "all you can eat" buffet and feel obliged to eat as much as possible to get

your money's worth.

...give something wanting to be properly credited or reciprocated.

...drive through neighborhoods with exclusive homes yearning to live in such.

...ponder how much it is going to cost when a family member gets sick.

...feel imposed upon when one of your children asks for money to buy something.

...insist on controlling the family finances and the checkbook.

...argue with your mate about how much they are spending on personal items.

...brag about the "bargains" you got, how "thrifty" you are, or how little you paid for

something.

...boast of how clever you were in getting the best of another in a business deal.

OH SH{:content:}amp; !............... :) Hello my name is %*{:content:}amp;$#^ and I am.....well I AM GREEDY and I drive through villages wanting to live in luxury homes.....although I forgot to keep my wish list notes..which I new I was doing something wrong....oops!

Edited by webfact
Quote fixed //WF

6 foreigners arrested in online investment scam

Crime Suppression Division police have arrested four Britons, a Filipino woman and a French man for having allegedly deceiving foreign investors to buy stocks online and cheated them.

Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy Central Investigation Bureau commissioner, said the six foreigners were arrested at a house on Soi Thonglor while deceiving foreigners to invest in stock markets through Internet.

Police seized seven desktop computers, six notebook computers and 31 mobile phones from the house.

Information from the seized computers showed that they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms.

The foreigners claimed that they were hired by a man identified only as Paul for Bt30,000 to Bt50,000 a month to make phone calls.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

yes, name the companies.

these people are bringing a bad name to the live-in farang community in thailand.

fine them to the hilt and throw them in the bangkok hilton for a long while

6 foreigners arrested in online investment scam

Crime Suppression Division police have arrested four Britons, a Filipino woman and a French man for having allegedly deceiving foreign investors to buy stocks online and cheated them.

Pol Maj Gen Panya Mamen, deputy Central Investigation Bureau commissioner, said the six foreigners were arrested at a house on Soi Thonglor while deceiving foreigners to invest in stock markets through Internet.

Police seized seven desktop computers, six notebook computers and 31 mobile phones from the house.

Information from the seized computers showed that they had deceived the investors to invest over Bt100 million in fake firms.

The foreigners claimed that they were hired by a man identified only as Paul for Bt30,000 to Bt50,000 a month to make phone calls.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/19

Interesting that they call it an online scam. The foreigners were paid to make phone calls rather than type emails. Sounds like another typical boiler room to me. Maybe they were using Skype to make the calls. I guess then it would be online.

I would imagine it depends on who analyzes the computers as the software and settings should be still there.

Need any help if the Thais get stuck?? FIRST thing to do is make sure that nothing in the computers used to call out is changed...

We had a group of these conman 4-6 years ago in Patong...

Anyway, I might be able to help but note, I cannot work any more officially...BUT I have extensive experience with computers...

By the way, Regarding this nigerian scams. Just got in the mail a check for 12,000.00 USD. Thinking to F*** them over and keep them all.   

Gosh I must be missing something here.  You have heard about those people that come in to the middle of a  conversation.   Either I did or you did..if you think your going to scam them by keeping a check they sent you...LOL.   THe best thing you could do is deposit it and keep half the money...send the rest back to them....so at least your not a complete idiot......only a half-wit....LOL :):D:D    Let us know the actual amount you end up with after 60days it will be interesting what you learn :D:D:D:D oops!

Well I had YEARS ago a taalk with some of the Nigerians and at that time, ie 23 years ago, I kept them communication via mail but when a Thai tried to interfere after one call they stopped communicating...

Whatever, I heard them speak and it was a beautiful real English accent....

I found at that time one thing out, they need help in getting money out? shit , they OWN a bank...

I think that we shall see that this only is a beginning. This room that our police broke on Soi Thonglor have phones and records from the Paul H. fake stock. There will be more arrests. These thieves and con artists show disrespect for the Thai people with their illegal business, and now we will got them all.

This sounds like a boiler room selling shares that don't exist, most likely to people in Australia, the UK or the US.

A lot of people reading this post seem to think the local IFA's whom call to arrange meetings with their consultants are in the same game.

It is totally different.

The article does not state where the customers were being targeted, I would hazard a guess either Europe or OZ, the set up will be based in Thailand dealing shares through various platforms, that being the only link to Thailand. I think some posters are getting confused with Offshore Financial Investment companies that will target expats in BKK for pensions and saving for kids education etc,these obtain phone numbers from magazines/yellow pages etc whereas the company mentioned in the article will have obtained the numbers from sources in Europe.

Wow this is too weird.....I just sent all my banking details to a Nigerian guy so he could deposit my winnings.

As soon is I get my money I going find this guy Paul I think he would really know how to make my money GrOw....? :)

I'm a Nigerian, and I'm really pissed with you guys talking about Nigerians here. What has the topic got to do with Nigerians. You guys do fraud, you rob banks, you sell dope, and yet you keep talking about Nigerians. Did the original post have anything to do with Nigerians. If you can't read, go back to school, and if you've got nothing to post, just SHUT UP.

And I'm a Martian!!!!!!!!! Lighten up eh most of us has heard about the Nigerian Scams World Wide so we "take the Piss" about it.

"Now where's my space ship" [Dooh] :D

another con-artist foreigner in Bangkok scamming money! What about this place attracts them? This website announced a recent case right here, again in our own backyard: www.accelon-asia.com

The reason is very simple. Thailand has an easy source of labor with many foreigners that live or want to live in Thailand. There are not many real jobs available for such people, and so the promoters of the scam has a source of willing if not ignorant labor to target people in western countries. Almost never do they target people in the same country due to the ease and speed in which their victim can pursue them causing the operation to unravel. Secondly, to set up a "legitimate looking" company and office is very cheap and easy. The office rents in Bangkok are some of the cheapest in the world. The promoters never look at such business as being long term, so such companies can easily be identified by a number of factors. Such as how long the company has been in operation at the current address, has the company ever changed it's name, and most importantly where is the company licensed. Usually scams involved companies that have been trading less than one year, have previously changed names, and can not show you the financial services licensed in the country in which they operate.

I've also read some posts that this only happens in Thailand. Well, it's your money I guess but fraud like this occurs in every country so throw caution to the wind if you like.

WHAT a Super destination, take a holiday snap, get arrested - give people money, lose it in a Thai style Nigerian SCAM,.

Get blown to pieces in southern Thailand. Get delayed by yellow/red shirt activities.

Don't hire a jet Ski. Get ripped off at Thailand's main airport on arrival or when you have had enough.

Malaysia is a lot more honest.

Yep there are no bad people in Malaysia.

If the police are smart and they want to find this "Paul" it should be pretty easy. First of all he would be living and working in Thailand, probably be fluent in Thai language and be staying not far from his "business". If he's making enough to pay all of those people 30-50,000 baht per month then he is obviously doing well and should be easy to trace. Unless of course he's already paid off the police, in which case they know exactly where he is.

I really do wish people would stop talking out of their &lt;deleted&gt;. Had it occurred to you that "Paul" might not be his name ? It could just as easily be Lars or Fred or Jurgen. He might live in another country. Moreover, if he's making enough to pay that many people that kind of monthly salary, then there's a good chance he's got a few businesses which, in turn, means he's probably been at it a long time. My guess would be that one doesn't have longevity if one is stupid enough to live ostentatiously off ill-gotten gains in this country.

So much for the armchair slueth :)