I Need Fast Internet Access For My Laptop

bobtodd

I will be in Thailand soon

I will not stay in one place when i arrived in Bangkok i would know is there any service there that give me fast internet speed*, then i can connect to internet using my laptop

for example, if it is possible to get Fast internet speed for Mobiles then i can connect my mobile to laptop using Bluetooth or USB

*fast internet connection means above 1 Mega Bit per Second for me (1Mbps)

not in bkk... try CM and you get nice 3G modem and 3-6 mbps in the city area =) eventually that will arrive to remote areas like BKK as well..

Hello,

by getting a 3G modem, do I still need a mobile to connect to internet or only that 3G modem is enough.

I didn't get what you mean by CM, is that a company name ?

And also Can I connect to internet any where in Thailand with this 3G Modem, places such as : Bangkok, Pattaya , ....

P.S: do you mean Bangkok by saying "bkk" or "BKK" ?

Thanks

Difficult one.

Most of Thailand is still on 2.75G (GPRS/EDGE), which will only give you between 100 and 200 kbps.

3G in Chiang Mai is offered by AIS, but sits on 900 Mhz, so not many compatible 3G phones around, hence the need for a dedicated 3G USB modem.

Anywhere else in Thailand (apart from a few small test area's) the AIS 3G modem will fall back to EDGE speeds.

Then you have the CAT CDMA/EVDO system. Speeds apparently between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps. Reasonable coverage BUT only in 52 provinces.

Bangkok, the surrounding provinces, the Eastern Seaboard (which includes Pattaya) is not covered by CAT, so no internet at all there when using a CAT contract.

In Pattaya CDMA/EVDO is offered by Hutch, but again, when using Hutch you will have no internet in the above mentioned 52 CAT provinces...

No idea.

I know that Hutch offers EV-DO only in the greater Pattaya region, but apart from that they seem to be on CDMA 1X.

Apparently a few places in Bkk as well.

Hutch doesn't even mention on their site that they have EV-DO!

http://www.hutch.co.th/networkcoverage/coverage_en.htm

Hutch has a roaming agreement with CAT for voice, but NOT for data!

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys

Ok i have arrived to Bangkok

and i bought an at&t USB 3G modem which cost me 2700 baht and 250hrs internet access from AIS which it cost 650 baht

But my speed is terribly low, it is near 1~2 kbps!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know any other alternatives?

Please forgive me if my suggestion here is too "basic" as I am not a Techie at all.

I live in Pattaya & used to be up in Bangkok several times month, then I was running B2B services

biz into Dublin. Meaning, All clients whom I supplied IT guys in were all in Dublin, (since 98% if work

was for years over Phone & Email, I never bothered telling anyone I moved to Thailand, so in theory

I was sitting in Dublin 9 - 5pm GMT office hours too, meaning Thai time 4pm - 11pm approx Mon - Fri

I had to be on the VOIP Phone or Skype & email most of the evenings.

I had terrible problems at various times over past 3 years, with all sorts of internet 3rd world issues,

& other Acts of God, such as 2 years back undersea cable breaking outing pattaya for close to 1 month

or another time, some petty thief stole a few 100 m of Telecoms cable from a road in Pattaya, all ISPs

shared the cable, & TOT (I think) were "out of stock" of the cable, & some sort of industrial strike was on

too.... another month no net in my end of pattaya.... So I feel your Pain.

Solution... I ALWAYS found this 8/10 minimum was a great back up... & it is bloody too obvious.

I would head to STARBUCKs either in PATTAYA or BKK buy a many hours Wifi card, bring my

NoteBook which is not the fastest either, & operate with my Headset, nearly always perfect VOIP

call quality from any Starbucks I used, even with my Dublin based VOIP supplier meaning, my voice

had double the journey to make since Servers were in Dublin, as opposed to say Dee Dial which I think

are voip optomized thailand based, or even skype. (Voipbuster was good too). JAH JAH from the mobile ok.

I would have MS Outlook open, a ASP Database web based I used online (servers in USA) & Explore too,

so heavy work load on me laptop (necessary re work) & from STARBUCKs quality was great...

and that was 2 years ago. ( as I am not in the biz now, so 2 years later might I guess Technology

should be better in WIFI zones like Starbucks?

I used to find the Lobby Bar in the Ambassador Hotel (you have to buy Wifi Card of course) to be

good to work from as 4pm - 930pm (before band came on) there would be no one in the bar area,

& I could work away, Again quality back then on WIFI in that hotel (lobby bar - the rooms which used

to have Wifi did not then, re upgrade ).

I stayed in a few apartment suite hotels BKK too, with cable internet, pitch was "corporate" power internet,

but it was so bad in some, took hour to download 30 emails...

Starbucks Wifi... BKK & Pattaya never failed me.

I apparently in CAT Telecom office in Pattaya on 3rd road at Pattaya Tai intersection

there is Wifi in there too (have to pay) but I hear quality is good.

Might be some ideas for you?

I also was using DeeDial or DeeCall bother same company Swaadee Shop... & you can get

think pay as you go is DeeDial card in Familymart, which from Thai mobile can make calls

v cheap & excellent quality to Ireland (which is v expensive to call from a Thai mobile compared to UK).

As I mentioned, DeeDial is supposed to be only "proper" VOIP co in Thailand under Western management

with their own servers in Thailand configured for optimal VOIP (and I think gateway too)...

either way, if I am correct on that point or not... I found them an excellent back up for biz use,

& Jah Jah (I think jahjah.com or similar) I had back up with too, but I never really used them much,

nor got hang of Jah Jah for calls, I do remember they had in interesting service offering slightly different

from Skype etc...

That cover me for outbound calls & as I said WIfi in Starbucks 8/10 probably 9/10 times was perfect,

when home office net was acting up.

Though chain drink black Americano coffee from 4pm - 11pm does have its effects!

I hope that helps you a bit, as I was in that crap position myself, & as a non techie took me

along of asking on here & other places, to learn about the other options & how to maximize them.

hello guys

Ok i have arrived to Bangkok

and i bought an at&t USB 3G modem which cost me 2700 baht and 250hrs internet access from AIS which it cost 650 baht

But my speed is terribly low, it is near 1~2 kbps!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know any other alternatives?

If you check your connection you are propably using GPRS/EDGE as AIS do not have 3G network apart from some trial sites with very limited coverage. And on top of that connections from thailand to rest of the world suck big time.

However this GPRS/EDGE should be enough for basic web surfing and emails. It might also be some issue with your laptop or just one of many temporary problems or outages in their service.

Real alternatives are not so much, you could try nearest starbucks or other wifi hotspot.