Thai Gun Shops Selling Automatic Assault Rifles

EffectiveAnger

First off, I'm no expert on guns and I don't want to be either, but I know what a modern AK-47 looks like. I've seen plenty of them in Cambodia!

Tonight, on my way home, my taxi driver took me down a soi I almost never go down and definately not at night. It was a narrow one with a few shops scattered here and there. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I saw one shop with the gate about half-way shut, dim lights and a guy sitting down behind a large glass display case full of guns. I decided to take a good look and sure enough he had an AK47 sitting right there in the case. Behind him were cases of what looked like traditional military style weapons. It freaked me out because it's not far from my house and I don't think this sort of thing is legal here. Or is it legal for them to sell weapons like this? Has anyone else ever seen anything like that here? I know people say that Bangkok is awash with guns, and we see them on TV, but it's different seeing them in person like that. It was incredibly disturbing to say the least.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'm no expert on guns and I don't want to be either, but I know what a modern AK-47 looks like. I've seen plenty of them in Cambodia!

Tonight, on my way home, my taxi driver took me down a soi I almost never go down and definately not at night. It was a narrow one with a few shops scattered here and there. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I saw one shop with the gate about half-way shut, dim lights and a guy sitting down behind a large glass display case full of guns. I decided to take a good look and sure enough he had an AK47 sitting right there in the case. Behind him were cases of what looked like traditional military style weapons. It freaked me out because it's not far from my house and I don't think this sort of thing is legal here. Or is it legal for them to sell weapons like this? Has anyone else ever seeno anything like that here? I know people say that Bangkok is awash with guns, and we see them on TV, but it's different seeing them in person like that. It was incredibly disturbing to say the least.

most probably bb guns rifles. Any get caught with war weapons here in thailand is jailed fuc_k time no matter who the fuc_k ur are. Let alone in dealing them

most probably bb guns rifles.

I think so. When I was on holiday in Hua Hin this guy had a bb gun stall in a mall. AKs, Glocks, MP-5s etc All looking exactly like the real McCoy. Pretty expensive too. Even the cheaper kiddy ones you can buy at a market could fool somebody.

I don't know where you're from, and I'm not a gun expert either, but I'm pretty sure AK47s are still legal in the US... and some of us are still alive, so it's nothing to be too shocked about. :)

All assault weapons are legal in the USA but only semi-automatic models unless you have a license for full automatic. All you need to buy an AK-47 or AR-15 (M-16) is to be 18 years old, have valid ID and no criminal record, you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun because it is easily concealed.

I agree what the OP saw had to be a BB gun you can only buy the real version of this type of weapon on the black market in Thailand.

I don't know where you're from, and I'm not a gun expert either, but I'm pretty sure AK47s are still legal in the US... and some of us are still alive, so it's nothing to be too shocked about. :)

All assault weapons are legal in the USA but only semi-automatic models unless you have a license for full automatic. All you need to buy an AK-47 or AR-15 (M-16) is to be 18 years old, have valid ID and no criminal record, you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun because it is easily concealed.

I agree what the OP saw had to be a BB gun you can only buy the real version of this type of weapon on the black market in Thailand.

Correct me if I am wrong, the "AK-47's" availible in the US are not real AK's....the US "version" is a 5.56mm cal, while a "pukka" Russian/Chinese AK-47 is a 7.62mm Cal. And also believe they are all semi-auto, and it is illegal to modify these assault rifles to fully automatic, license or not....

Nothing to be shocked about that weapons of war are sold. :D Bet you came from Texas or something like that. Its bad enough that guns are being sold but automatics.. plain crazy if this is true.

Correct me if I am wrong, the "AK-47's" availible in the US are not real AK's....the US "version" is a 5.56mm cal, while a "pukka" Russian/Chinese AK-47 is a 7.62mm Cal. And also believe they are all semi-auto, and it is illegal to modify these assault rifles to fully automatic, license or not....

AK-47 is a 7.62 the real deal however it is not full automatic for public sale unless you have an FFL (federal firearms license) for about $100 you can buy the kit to convert the semi-auto to full-auto but don't get caught.

First off, I'm no expert on guns.........................

Correct. Selling or being in posession of "weapons of war" as the act states, i.e. military weapons, carries a mandatory 25 year sentence. What you say were air powered replicas, and available at most gun shops in the kingdom for between two and five thousand baht. M-16's G3's AK-47's being among the most popular.

I am not saying that military automatic weapons are not available in Thailand, but you are not going to see them displayed in your local gun shop, and yes it is lillegal to sell them, or be in posession of one.

Maybe that's where jj got his bb :)

.......it could have been real,but not full auto and possibly 7.62....only NATO and UN countries use 5.56......

A lot of forces complaining about 5.56 saying it has no stopping power so they're thinking about 6.5

I don't know where you're from, and I'm not a gun expert either, but I'm pretty sure AK47s are still legal in the US... and some of us are still alive, so it's nothing to be too shocked about. :D

AK-47 is a 7.62 the real deal however it is not full automatic for public sale unless you have an FFL (federal firearms license) for about $100 you can buy the kit to convert the semi-auto to full-auto but don't get caught.

Which would beg this question...What h*ll would a non-military person want with a 7.62mm AK-47 for ??....hunting... :) ......A 7.62mm AK-47 has one use only.....to kill people

hahaha I'm not from Texas... and I don't even own a gun... and I didn't even say the word automatic... I'm just under the belief that if someone wants a gun they're gonna get a hold of one... or if they want to kill some people, they'll find a way... Selling a gun to someone isn't gonna make them more or less violent.

hahaha I'm not from Texas... and I don't even own a gun... and I didn't even say the word automatic... I'm just under the belief that if someone wants a gun they're gonna get a hold of one... or if they want to kill some people, they'll find a way... Selling a gun to someone isn't gonna make them more or less violent.

Ah the guns don't kill people people kill people argument. I partly agree with it to be honest, but having a gun makes it easier to kill someone if your angry. So with having a gun you will give people a easier way to kill someone if angry. Its hard to kill someone with your hands and you could get back t your senses before you kill someone.. with a gun.. its easy to kill and too later after you done it.

[

All versions are available & legal in the US

Crappy firearms though & you can do much better.

The only good thing about a crappy AK is the tolerances are so sloppy they fire

in all conditions.

Ah the guns don't kill people people kill people argument. I partly agree with it to be honest, but having a gun makes it easier to kill someone if your angry. So with having a gun you will give people a easier way to kill someone if angry. Its hard to kill someone with your hands and you could get back t your senses before you kill someone.. with a gun.. its easy to kill and too later after you done it.

Anger is not the use for a gun.

There are times when only a gun will do. Defense against a lethal problem is

the original intent.

As for being easier to kill with a gun if your angry....If that describes you then you

should not have a gun but then again I am sure a angry killer will do well with just about what ever he picks up. Baseball bat, knives, shovel etc etc etc

Edited by flying

It could have been a blank firing replica... even in the UK, which has some of the most stringent firearms legislation in the world, I bought and legally owned a blank firing AK47... this used 8 mm blanks in a modified clip, which only held about 12 rounds. the barrel was solid, and had a venting port on the top.

The BB AK's are usually plastic... the blank firing AK was wood and metal... unless you were a firearms expert, it appeared to be a geniune weapon. I had to be extremely careful with it. It was used in re-enactment and live role play games... I sold it when I left the UK...

I understand that Blank firing replicas can be legally bought over the counter in Thailand, (though, if you know the right people, it's probably cheaper to buy the real thing... Hi Mr Bout...)

[

All versions are available & legal in the US

Crappy firearms though & you can do much better.

The only good thing about a crappy AK is the tolerances are so sloppy they fire

in all conditions.

Best assault rifle in the world.... :D this based on the following facts....

They are virtually in-destructable, drop em in the water, in mud etc they work.

Can teach somebody to fire one in about 10 minutes

Best selling assault rifle in the world - no self repsecting terrorist group, bannana republic or drug lord would be without one.

They are cheap to produce

They do exactly as it says on the box...pull the trigger...something comes out the other end and somebody falls down...

A winner by my assessment... :)

guns don't kill people people kill people

veering way off topic here but one of my favourite Homer Simpson quotes is when he went to buy a gun and the shop owner said he had to wait 3 days and Homer replied '3 days! but i'm angry now'. i always thought the NRA should use that as their slogan.

Anger is not the use for a gun.

There are times when only a gun will do. Defense against a lethal problem is

the original intent.

As for being easier to kill with a gun if your angry....If that describes you then you

should not have a gun but then again I am sure a angry killer will do well with just about what ever he picks up. Baseball bat, knives, shovel etc etc etc

Im quite hard to get angry and i would not use a gun when im angry.. the thing is there will always be people who will. I just don't believe people should own guns. Maybe if they are evaluated once i a while or so.

Tonight, on my way home, my taxi driver took me down a soi I almost never go down and definately not at night. It was a narrow one with a few shops scattered here and there. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I saw one shop with the gate about half-way shut, dim lights and a guy sitting down behind a large glass display case full of guns. I decided to take a good look and sure enough he had an AK47 sitting right there in the case. Behind him were cases of what looked like traditional military style weapons. It freaked me out because it's not far from my house and I don't think this sort of thing is legal here. Or is it legal for them to sell weapons like this? Has anyone else ever seeno anything like that here? I know people say that Bangkok is awash with guns, and we see them on TV, but it's different seeing them in person like that. It was incredibly disturbing to say the least.

most probably bb guns rifles. Any get caught with war weapons here in thailand is jailed fuc_k time no matter who the fuc_k ur are. Let alone in dealing them

Well the shooting range has them.. Presume they buy them somewhere ??

most probably bb guns rifles.

I think so. When I was on holiday in Hua Hin this guy had a bb gun stall in a mall. AKs, Glocks, MP-5s etc All looking exactly like the real McCoy. Pretty expensive too. Even the cheaper kiddy ones you can buy at a market could fool somebody.

It makes me feel better to think that they were just old mean looking BB guns. But my instincts were/are telling me something different. This isn't an area where there would be much of any foot traffic, especially at that time of the night. It was where the shop was located, how the gate was half-way closed, dim lights and there wasn't even a sign to advertise! This shop didn't look like they were selling toys. In fact, I think it would scare the daylights out of any kid.

Anyway, I'll sleep better just thinking they were only toys.

Im quite hard to get angry and i would not use a gun when im angry.. the thing is there will always be people who will. I just don't believe people should own guns. Maybe if they are evaluated once i a while or so.

Fortunately the forefathers of the USA scribed the right to bear arms.

I am also very hard to anger but,

I have owned various firearms most of my life for competition use. I am glad that our right to own is not determined by folks that have a unrealistic view of life.

Study after study has shown that increasing gun control laws leads to increase in crime rates not decreases like the gun control folks thought. Nuff said as I have strayed off topic :)

Fortunately the forefathers of the USA scribed the right to bear arms.

I am also very hard to anger but,

I have owned various firearms most of my life for competition use. I am glad that our right to own is not determined by folks that have a unrealistic view of life.

Study after study has shown that increasing gun control laws leads to increase in crime rates not decreases like the gun control folks thought. Nuff said as I have strayed off topic :)

Fair point. As already posted, UK has extremely strict laws and punishment for illegal possession of fire arms, yet gun crime is rising.

Not sure if this is the result of the laws becoming stricter, or if the laws have become stricter because of the rise in gun crime.

BTW, can a foreigner own a gun legally in Thailand (and I don't mean a replica or BB etc)?