Van Hire ?

richard_smith237

I’m looking to rent a van / mini-bus (and driver) for 10 days for visiting friends in Feb.

I’ve used the search function and while there is some good information for Chiang Mai, there is not much for Bangkok.

I’ve also contacted a few companies this past week based on results from a google searches, classifieds etc. I’ve received some pretty silly quotes (i.e. 33,000 :).

I believe that the going rate is approximately 1800 B per day (fuel on top).

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be helpful and appreciated.

I’m looking to rent a van / mini-bus (and driver) for 10 days for visiting friends in Feb.

I’ve used the search function and while there is some good information for Chiang Mai, there is not much for Bangkok.

I’ve also contacted a few companies this past week based on results from a google searches, classifieds etc. I’ve received some pretty silly quotes (i.e. 33,000 :).

I believe that the going rate is approximately 1800 B per day (fuel on top).

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be helpful and appreciated.

Richard, our company uses vans quite a lot and we are normally charged 2500 baht per day plus fuel I believe.

Email my secretary and she can give you more info. Her email [email protected]

Dan

I've used vans several times also, and never paid more than 1800 or 1900/day, not including gas. Some companies want to also charge you extra for the driver's accommodations, and sometimes the driver just sleeps in the van. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to pay for my driver's hotel room, but I would also feel horrible about him sleeping in the van for 10 days.

I've used vans several times also, and never paid more than 1800 or 1900/day, not including gas. Some companies want to also charge you extra for the driver's accommodations, and sometimes the driver just sleeps in the van. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to pay for my driver's hotel room, but I would also feel horrible about him sleeping in the van for 10 days.

While working in Bangkok (2005-2007) I used an car-rental agency such as Hertz, Budget which offered a driver, car/Van on

a daily/weekly basis at a reasonable price. ( I don't have the exact detail on pricing) but give them a call and inquire.

The rental was based out of Suvanarbhumi airport.

Last time we rented a van was in 2007. Rate was 1,500/day plus fuel. The driver was invited to eat all meals with our group of 8. We rented several rooms so he was able to shower twice a day. He said he preferred to sleep in the van as there was a lot of room. Wife gave him a nice tip when we got back to Bangkok.

It is a small privately owned company which my in-laws always use. Probably the reason for the reasonable price.

Last time we rented a van was in 2007. Rate was 1,500/day plus fuel. The driver was invited to eat all meals with our group of 8. We rented several rooms so he was able to shower twice a day. He said he preferred to sleep in the van as there was a lot of room. Wife gave him a nice tip when we got back to Bangkok.

It is a small privately owned company which my in-laws always use. Probably the reason for the reasonable price.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Based on the best quote I've received, I also believe 1800 B to be the going rate. I don't mind paying about 300 B for a room for the driver - I'd prefer that than have him not having such a great nights sleep in the van.

1,500 day is a great rate - Do you have a contact number for these guys ? And, what was the van like ? I'd prefer for my friends to be in a Modern Van (i.e. a Toyota D4D with full seat belts).

I've been getting quotes for 3,500 B day... I've replied a couple of quotes asking them to improve their quote as I've received quotes of 1,800 B - I've received a couple of face saving response of 'use the other company then' !!!!