Laptop Died (possible Screen Or Graphics Card Problems)

davejonesbkk

My Compaq Presario laptop started to switch itself off recently. I assumed heat problems so bought a fan deck last week and it was fine until yesterday and then when I turned it on the screen was going crazy with lines up and down (yet could still make out the windows loading bar in the background) after 1 minute of this I pressed 'esc' and it was fine! I logged in and worked as normal.

Same thing this morning except when I pressed esc this time nothing happened. I am now using a friend's laptop but I need to access the data on my other laptop, and urgently too. So, is there anyway that I can do this? I am pretty sure that the problem with my laptop is either the graphics card and/or the screen and that the hard drive is fine....

Any help advice would appreciated.

My Compaq Presario laptop started to switch itself off recently. I assumed heat problems so bought a fan deck last week and it was fine until yesterday and then when I turned it on the screen was going crazy with lines up and down (yet could still make out the windows loading bar in the background) after 1 minute of this I pressed 'esc' and it was fine! I logged in and worked as normal.

Same thing this morning except when I pressed esc this time nothing happened. I am now using a friend's laptop but I need to access the data on my other laptop, and urgently too. So, is there anyway that I can do this? I am pretty sure that the problem with my laptop is either the graphics card and/or the screen and that the hard drive is fine....

Before take out your HDD .... I had similar problem, connect a external screen to your lapto at 15 pin plug and by this you know quick wihtout lot of manpower if it is the cause of screen or grafic card.

You can remove the hard disk and install it in external USB case.

Then it can be plugged into any computer and the data read.

Yes, I'd recommend that too. Secure another laptop, and use the HD as an external hard drive to get at the data. Once external, you can also copy the drive and/or make a backup which you should do as soon as you can.

External USB case costs about 500 baht, any computer shop should have it.

Then send your Compaq in for repairs.

after 1 minute of this I pressed 'esc' and it was fine! I logged in and worked as normal.

Can't believe you didn't backup your data at this point.

Best option is try to get working on external monitor. If that doesn't work then removed HDD and install in USB external case and connect to another PC.

Before you spend money on repairing it, check to see if you have one of the NVidia series 8 graphic cards which have caused many HP computers to fail miserably. I am in the process of complaining to HP headquarters because they are taking no responsibility over this at all.

A new screen will be $100-150

davejonesbkk

yet could still make out the windows loading bar in the background

Have you a good source for SCREENS only? In Hua Hin no Computer Shop like touch Toshiba so I must help myself.

Need screen for TOSHIBA Satellite M-60-163 P-MC 17" TrueB - Thanks in advance.

have just had screen fixed on my old laptop ( toshipa a 300 ) 4000 BHT including full setup from a BLANK HD and install of sofware Xp pro

was done in panthip 3 floor ( dont rember the name of shop )

however i still have phone number to shop Owner he speaks english very well

happy to recomend him

Edited by WildChilli

Before you spend money on repairing it, check to see if you have one of the NVidia series 8 graphic cards which have caused many HP computers to fail miserably. I am in the process of complaining to HP headquarters because they are taking no responsibility over this at all.

ha-ha Apple tried to get away with this once too with their video chips.

My old iBook, which already had had a replacement logic board because of the video chip coming loose, started acting up again after i gave it to my girlfriend recently. I opened it up and stuck a 10 baht coin to the inside of the case to give pressure to the video chip and onto the board. (It sits on a ball grid array which is infamous for poor soldering).

It's been working ever since.

Thanks for all the advice. It seems that the problem is in the connections in the hinges between the screen and the keyboard. When I first opne it and turn it on the screen is all funny but if I tilt the screen forwards its fine, I then need to leave it tilted forwards 45 degrees or so for 1-2 mins and then very slowly push it back to normal viewing position and its fine.....very weird...