Living In A Village - Was It Tolerable For You?

Lopburi99

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lopps99, funny that about Sa Kaew villages, my wife hails from one too!. These last 4 years I have spent many nights under the mosi-net and fan because she wants to stay a while with Mum!. No treking off to the comforts of some distant resort- no chance.

There are just 9 house's in the village, I know because I have been and counted them during the many hours of boredom. No telephone line's/ no street lighting, its pitch black in the evenings, a good head torch is essential!. No rubbish collection, I am still unsure to this day what happens to all that plastic, might explain the black toxic smoke. Everyone in bed for 8pm-, same drill every night, mattress on the floor, mosi net down & lights out. Its a long night when you go to bed that early!, well at least everyone's up for first light, Monks to be fed etc.

Mum in law has the fridge on the lowest setting when I arrive, I always wack it up, take your own drinking water, none of the "nam fon" for me!, stomach cannot take it!.

Oh yep, no shop, nearest one 5km away, the place is totally reliant on the mobile pickup shop that comes about 3 times a day. Everyone appears to be in debt!, most of the shopping is done on credit and cleared at the end of month-perhaps.

I have forgotten how many pork/beer bills I have picked up the tab for. Nearest ATM a 70 km+ round trip.

One visit I witnessed the scene where you could hand over the family pooch for a new plastic bucket, a female neighbour just chucked all 5 of her muts in the back of the dog collector truck, for a few wicker baskets.

Village life, so much fun and the best bit is I have just spent a tidy amount on house improvements for dear ol Mum. Strong willed wife!

YES!

I'm not overly bothered about Thailand, but my favorite place on earth is the village I live in here way outside Roi-Et. This to me is civilisation. Pattaya and Jometien? Civilisation? YIKES!!!

It takes effort and you need to build your own place to be honest, which, managed right (by you!) will not be expensive (<1m Baht). Think about design, innovate and improvise. Make sure you have sufficient land to have a good sized garden. Garden centres are brutally cheap here and the variety of plants available is vast.

Make friends with the neighbours. Don't buy booze. Make tea. They'll smoke all your cigarettes, but so what. Most of my friends are in their 60's and 70's. They come round most days, we do the garden together, I help them with painting their houses and making the place look smart. Village clean up day once a month, everyone get out with strimmers etc and by the end of the day it looks like Nong Nooch.

Once you've built the house, go down to Chok Chai, get all the ceramics, terracotta pots, vases and wall hangings you need. Very cheap. Also locally made teak root furniture. Very good stuff. Very cheap.

If you've still got it in you, get a trials bike for the mud roads. A pick-up is essential.

Sort out what you buy and where. Makro in the big towns once a month for bulk buying to keep costs down and the local market for fruit and veg.

I went to Pattaya the other weekend to buy a new PC. No thanks. That place will eat you alive.

The land we are buying is 1/2 rai. Not large but large enough for house and nice garden. As we save to pay off the land and for the house, we have been trying to enjoy the land by bringing in dirt to build it up and planting trees and flowers. That was supposed to be my hobby but it so hot I've only been able to putter in the garden for a few minutes before retreating back to the comfort of the house.

You have a point about Jomtien/Pattaya, it definitely isn't for everybody. But we've visited often before, for weeks at a time, and we stay away from the funny stuff and know what to ignore. But it is great to see everything in English and the restaurants are great. I don't drink so the bar scene is of no interest to me. There is always somewhere to go and something to see. We create our own little reality there, and it works out OK. We'll take the advice of others and visit there regularly to mix things up.

Still, I am honestly hoping things will work out in the village. But the cards seem to be stacked against me. I didn't make it clear before but our rented home (only 2500 baht/month + a/c!) is separate from where the family lives so even though we are still all together for hours each day, it is not 24/7. The family proximity issue may be solvable, not sure yet.

The noise problems remain the most exasperating at this time. I had gotten used to the endless dog barking in Lopburi while we lived there, but I don't know about this early morning crap. It is a form of pollution which permeates everywhere and one can't escape.

Thanks for some good suggestions. Like I said, we'll be here at least until the spring so that gives us some more time to let this play out more.

I have been out to the wife's village, to her relatives' village and to other small towns. Sorry, but overall, the utter filth, and I don't mean of the dirt variety, appalls me. People tossing trash on the ground, walking past trash on the ground, playing with trash on the ground.... lovely. :)

I could live in the countryside on our own piece of property, but as to living with people that treat their home, others' homes and their town live a trashcan, no thanks. Top that off with yeah, the human noise factor, and no thanks. Frankly, I prefer the snakes.

Dr. B

Lopps99, funny that about Sa Kaew villages, my wife hails from one too!. These last 4 years I have spent many nights under the mosi-net and fan because she wants to stay a while with Mum!. No treking off to the comforts of some distant resort- no chance.

There are just 9 house's in the village, I know because I have been and counted them during the many hours of boredom. No telephone line's/ no street lighting, its pitch black in the evenings, a good head torch is essential!. No rubbish collection, I am still unsure to this day what happens to all that plastic, might explain the black toxic smoke. Everyone in bed for 8pm-, same drill every night, mattress on the floor, mosi net down & lights out. Its a long night when you go to bed that early!, well at least everyone's up for first light, Monks to be fed etc.

Mum in law has the fridge on the lowest setting when I arrive, I always wack it up, take your own drinking water, none of the "nam fon" for me!, stomach cannot take it!.

Oh yep, no shop, nearest one 5km away, the place is totally reliant on the mobile pickup shop that comes about 3 times a day. Everyone appears to be in debt!, most of the shopping is done on credit and cleared at the end of month-perhaps.

I have forgotten how many pork/beer bills I have picked up the tab for. Nearest ATM a 70 km+ round trip.

One visit I witnessed the scene where you could hand over the family pooch for a new plastic bucket, a female neighbour just chucked all 5 of her muts in the back of the dog collector truck, for a few wicker baskets.

Village life, so much fun and the best bit is I have just spent a tidy amount on house improvements for dear ol Mum. Strong willed wife!

:)

Yeah, the first time we visited here almost two years ago I agreed in advance to stay in the sister's home. Mistake!!! We slept on the main room floor, without the luxury of a mosquito net, with ants and Lord knows what lunching on my plump body all night. Didn't sleep a wink. The second night I had to offend everybody and insist on staying in a little resort, which was no Sheraton either! OMG.

Took a shower and the water smelled so bad I nearly gagged. Something about just having rained, I never understood. That sister's place was, shall we say, "interesting". :D The hole in the floor toilet which is always full - I could go on and on. Little lizards crawling all around (I've gotten used to them), cobwebs everywhere, spiders, flies.... :D Not complaining, just reporting the facts.

If only some of my friends in the States knew some of the experience I've had here they wouldn't believe me.

Thai wife and I live in a village about 30 mins drive out of Kanchanaburi.

I love it more than the wife who misses the variety of food she can buy in town.

As we live at least 100m's from the nearest house and even further from the nearest speaker I am not troubled by noise......well very rarely, TIT after all.

We moved into our own house after it was finished in Sept of last year and prior to that lived in Kan where the wife used to work and then in the small town where the wifes family live.

Never again will I live in town, way too noisy for me and neighbours way too close for both me and my wife.

We are about 10 km's from the wifes family which suits the wife more than me I think!

Drawbacks of village life for me are very few. Main gripes being the burning of crops every now and then and the big sugar cane burn every year which coats everything in ash. Mind you we got that in town too so no escaping it if the sugar cane is within a few km's.

I have one expat friend locally who only comes to Thailand every few months as he works offshore and that's how I like it.

I enjoy my own company anyway and have the hobbies to keep me occupied.

I'm beginning to think the handwriting is on the wall. We've been in a rural village near Sao Kaeo for about two months and I'm not sure I can adapt.

The most difficult is the early morning noise starting at 6am or earlier (like blasting one hour public announcements, music, ceremonial flute music/chanting, food vendors, you name it) which prevents me from getting a decent sleep and puts me right off in a lousy mood each day. This morning some nearby farmer is burning something and I can't sit outside because of the smoke. Man oh Man.

The wife won't be happy to hear this, especially since her family also lives here in the village (an additional difficulty), but I am thinking life in a quiet, clean high-rise in Jomtien or Pattaya may be a necessity for me. I also really miss the western food and English speaking businesses but that is a different matter.

Has anybody successfully adapted to village life like this? I need to hear a success story.

My first year was spent in a village.

Greatest difficulty was not the family, but the language. The g/f spoke English and some members of the family did start to learn. But while the g/f was out at work that generally left me unable to talk to the great majority of people. Yet, I found out how to manage perfectly well.

No speakers blasting here. Yes, people were up and about and making noise but that ws no real problem, I rolled over and went back to sleep. General noise you can get used to, but I can imagine speakers blasting music etc. is no fun.

The family were great. We would sit around on an evening and drink beer and communicate - somehow. The beers were shared out. Music was on and the atmosphere was amiable.

Arthritis in the spine used to cause me some problems but MIL used to give me regular massages _ I am sure she used to enjoy walking on my spine. She would also call round often just to make sure I was OK if the g/f was at work. Would bring fruit and food, often leaving it at the door if she could not see me about.

Any work that needed doing was done by the family, be it repairs, electrics or work on the vehicle.

Many times I was invited to weddings, 'make monk' ceremonies and parties in general. The need to speak English or Thai was not needed. We always managed to communicate.

Generally friendlier life in the village too.

One bonus was that I lived 15 kms from town, so if I wanted a night out, that was no problem. Often filled the truck with family to go for a few beers in town and the bill was shared.

I had UBC and Internet (sattelite) installed. If there was a good football match on, the television was dragged outside and we all sat having a beer and watching that. Same at times with movies.

Was fun when the rains came. Floods were inevitable but taken as part and parcel of village life, as was the electricity going off for hours at a time, but you do adapt to these situations. Everyone mucked in and we always got by without too much trouble.

It took a little while for people to stop staring at me and accepting me. Once the had accepted me, I was always made welcome and given so much fruit and such that it weighed me down sometimes. Plenty of invites round to others houses for a beer or food.

The wildlife - Snakes, Ing Hoi, Toads, and all manner of creepy crawlies - I no longer see now I am in town.

Yes, it can be good out there in a village. (I moved out because of difficulties with the g/f, not because I did not enjoy the life.)

Moved from Samui to a Village outside Khon Kaen two and a half years ago and never regretted it.

More friendly more genuine people.

As said the only downside is the early morning and evening noise. Horrendous.

Having two or three speaker systems blasting out different distorted music and Yak Yak at the same time means a total headache.

Never understood this obsession with noise.

The Ice Cream Man.

I prefer village to city. Both have their good & bad points. No problems with the speakers as I don't tend to sleep much anyway. Mrs makes up for that. Being in the same village as her family is no threat. I think they're more my sisters than hers (as do they).

I'm 'in' with the local constabulary & some of the locally residing soldiers & their families.

A decent run once a month to Chaiyaphum for the big stuff, other things bought locally or wait for the next trip.

Coming from a country area (before it was built out) probably helps a lot, then I have lived in Sydney for about 20 - 25 years.

I never do the 'I can pay more than you' bit & do everything possible to discourage dual pricing here. Locally, I've not encountered it - with the exception of Tat Ton.

My hearing's not so good, so tonal languages are a problem at times. Even so, I manage OK. There's generally someone around that an help out.

Quite happily, I was accepted as part of the vilage from the first visit & so far have had no problems. How long could I stay? How long is a piece of string? With the odd excursion to other areas, I don't forsee a reason to move for some time - but who knows what tomorrow brings?

I live in a village in central thailand, its about 1h drive from petchabun city. I would guess that there are 2000 people living here. My wife grew up in a much smaller village, with only 200 people. The former is ok for me, the latter is not. The place we live now we have adsl, a big house and garden, quiet and can get nice food easily. yes, i do miss the big shopping malls and the parks. but its not a big problem. I miss some englishspeaking friends. but this has started improving. I recently met a guy from petchabun city and will meet him again. I have one english speaking friend close to the home. its nice to talk with him sometimes for sure, but i cant say i need to do it every day.

I would definitely consider myself very happy here so far. We go on many trips to the close cities and have different projects all the time, like build a pool, buy a dog, etc. So, what is the key to my happiness? i think its 2 things. First of all my work is on a pc with internet. so, i dont need to be a certain place to work. Second, my wife is my best friend. Right now i dont really need many farang friends. i know this can change, and that i need to work on building up a network. So, i definitely need to work on that part.

I guess if I had my own home it wouldn't be so bad, but just living out of a suitcase is a bit restricting. It REALLY helps if you have a creative talent. I paint, draw, sculpt and write. I also have other interests like fishing and photography. When visit the family I take care of in Luk Kae I bring along my computer for writing and a sketch pad for drawing. I teach the kids how to draw and paint, and seeing them progress and have fun is rewarding.

Boons_children_3.sized.jpg

That's wonderful. I wish I had possessed a few of your artistic talents. I too enjoy the village life and the kids are great. It seems that I've always been accepted wherever I find myself. Some of those places are better than others but most have something interesting to offer. Village life is challenging and I could do it if I had no other choice. The early morning loud speakers and the constant inquiries about your finances get old but not something that can't be overcome. If I had to choose between living in a village or returnig to the USA, the village wins hand down.

I live in Pattaya because of all the amenities and clean air. CM someday when they cleanup the pollution. Was villge life tolerable for me? - YES.

Very interesting thread. I spent quite a bit of time in the roughly 5000 people Buriram village where my wife is from, but never longer than at the most 2 weeks at the time. The in laws are living smack in the middle of the village, and yes, often I am dismayed to be woken up by the loudspeaker system at 6AM.

I did a lot of bicycling and driving through the area, and there are farang built houses everywhere, but usually a bit out of the villages - understandable, no matter how well you integrate, you will never be able to take the loudspeakers for granted, apart from lack of privacy when the in laws are too close.

I have the impression though, that the vast majority of the westerners who have built houses in rural areas, are only living there part of the year.

:) It might make for an interesting sociological experiment to fit out say an Australian village with a similar loudspeaker system, in such a way that it cannot be easily sabotaged, start broadcasting every morning, and then see what happens.

At present I am having my 2nd (and hopefully now here forever) stint of village life. Not really a village , more a small town.Pop. about 2000 and set in rural central Thailand.

Had travelled around Thailand for 3/4 months in 1995, returned to New Zealand and met my Thai wife in Auckland. Married there in 1996 and came back for a holiday and to meet all the family in 1997. Four months later we returned to her home town to live.

I was very lucky to get employment at the local private school owned by the family, and we had a western styled home built and given to us from her parents.

From the start I was busy setting up the lawns and garden around the house. After school and weekends always found something to do. As well the family had 13 rai of very mixed orchard and garden, which none of the 5 son's did anything with.So I worked this as well, mainly weeding and keeping the place up to scratch.

All the locals made me welcome and never ever have had the feeling of being a stranger in the area.Teaching at the school helped a lot as parents knew who I was. Friends and family visited and understood why I enjoyed living here.Have a friend from Denmark who has visited here 10 times in 9 years as he loves our spot.

We had a son three years after we arrived, and at the back of our minds was his future especially education. After a couple of return trips to N.Z. we decided to go back there for him. So after being here for 6 years we left for NZ.

After 3 years in NZ , the Mother in law fell over , broke her shoulder so the Wife and son flew back for a month to assist her. Turned into 2 months and as the MIL was in a wheel chair aged 83, and the Father in law 90 we decided to come back and and live full time again.Being the only daughter my wife would neve have felt comfortable living in NZ and Mum and Dad here.

Now we have being back over 3 years and on my return realised how much I had missed the place, the people, and the life style. Love the climate never want to feel cold again.Back at the school, and back into the garden.Never have a spare moment always something to do.My wife and son call this home and she is happy to be with her parents and brothers. My son speaks, reads and writes both languages ( Thai and English) and has so many freinds and cousins to keep him happy.

I am the only European living in this Amphur though there are some living within a 25km radius.I have caught up with a Brit. we see each other every now and then but are not mates as such. The only person I can have an English conversation with is my wife who speaks excellent english.She has lived in Aust, NZ and has travelled Europe and the States. She is totally aware of Thailand 's shortfalls .... corruption, pollution and garbarge, the Police/ Army interference in peoples lives, etc etc. but it is her Country and she is proud to be a Thai. We just get on with our lives and live as stress free and as happy as we can make it.I spend a couple of hours most nights surfing the net and keep up with sport and world news.

Socially we attend weddings , funerals and such but normally are at home most days and nights.The family get together often but usually go to a resturant and do not live in each others house's. The 5 brothers all have their lives to lead and I can go days with out seeing them.

Lucky we are far enough away from the village so don't hear the loud speakers. They are not using them as much as they did 6 /7 years ago.The worst noise was when they had outdoor movies some years ago.Thank God that has stopped.

Can get most things in the market, now have 3 ATMsin the villaga. Lotus and Singburi City about 20 minutes away if needed. Bangkok for a break, 2 hours, but now only go there a few times a year, and getting fewer.

So in all, very happy in the rural scene. Never ever get the feeling of wanting to leave now firmly settled...............Not heaven but almost!!!

BAYBOY

We have quite a bit of land in a village just outside Chaiyaphum. We are going to build an house on it next year. Not a big one and it will do for a weekend retreat. I don't know if it's because i haven't got my home comforts there but I go stir crazy if i'm in the village for more than 2 days.

There are a few farangs not too far away but I'm a towny, so i don't think village life will ever be for me.

You could checkout my blog at VillageFarang. There are a couple of slideshows there and lots of other pictures scattered throughout the blog.

Thanks for link,VillageFarang,nice blog and beautiful pics!

I experienced village life for couple of weeks three years ago.The morning trips with lots of children,gathering bamboo sprouts and mushrooms,along unspoiled landscapes with rivers,ponds and rice fields were great fun.I had some football matches with the locals on the school playground,but i could not speak the local dialect,and it was quite boring in the evening while GF was sitting long time with her family.

Great memory,and i guess if i had no need to work,a good partner and a couple of hobbies,i could live in a village forever.

YES!

I'm not overly bothered about Thailand, but my favorite place on earth is the village I live in here way outside Roi-Et. This to me is civilisation. Pattaya and Jometien? Civilisation? YIKES!!!

It takes effort and you need to build your own place to be honest, which, managed right (by you!) will not be expensive (<1m Baht). Think about design, innovate and improvise. Make sure you have sufficient land to have a good sized garden. Garden centres are brutally cheap here and the variety of plants available is vast.

Make friends with the neighbours. Don't buy booze. Make tea. They'll smoke all your cigarettes, but so what. Most of my friends are in their 60's and 70's. They come round most days, we do the garden together, I help them with painting their houses and making the place look smart. Village clean up day once a month, everyone get out with strimmers etc and by the end of the day it looks like Nong Nooch.

Once you've built the house, go down to Chok Chai, get all the ceramics, terracotta pots, vases and wall hangings you need. Very cheap. Also locally made teak root furniture. Very good stuff. Very cheap.

If you've still got it in you, get a trials bike for the mud roads. A pick-up is essential.

Sort out what you buy and where. Makro in the big towns once a month for bulk buying to keep costs down and the local market for fruit and veg.

I went to Pattaya the other weekend to buy a new PC. No thanks. That place will eat you alive.

The land we are buying is 1/2 rai. Not large but large enough for house and nice garden. As we save to pay off the land and for the house, we have been trying to enjoy the land by bringing in dirt to build it up and planting trees and flowers. That was supposed to be my hobby but it so hot I've only been able to putter in the garden for a few minutes before retreating back to the comfort of the house.

You have a point about Jomtien/Pattaya, it definitely isn't for everybody. But we've visited often before, for weeks at a time, and we stay away from the funny stuff and know what to ignore. But it is great to see everything in English and the restaurants are great. I don't drink so the bar scene is of no interest to me. There is always somewhere to go and something to see. We create our own little reality there, and it works out OK. We'll take the advice of others and visit there regularly to mix things up.

Still, I am honestly hoping things will work out in the village. But the cards seem to be stacked against me. I didn't make it clear before but our rented home (only 2500 baht/month + a/c!) is separate from where the family lives so even though we are still all together for hours each day, it is not 24/7. The family proximity issue may be solvable, not sure yet.

The noise problems remain the most exasperating at this time. I had gotten used to the endless dog barking in Lopburi while we lived there, but I don't know about this early morning crap. It is a form of pollution which permeates everywhere and one can't escape.

Thanks for some good suggestions. Like I said, we'll be here at least until the spring so that gives us some more time to let this play out more.

I'm lucky, it's quiet here, few dogs, no barking. You get used to the heat and winters coming soon anyway.

Just one thing. Sure you've heard it all before. If you make it clear that you are not rich yet not selfish, they'll adjust to that level of income. Splash the cash and it will never end until you are clean out. It'll start at new microwave oven and quickly escalate to a new Jet Ranger helicopter.

If you build, understand the real costs, they ain't much. Keep control of things.

Get this right and you'll love it.

Well, it's 6:55am and once again I was rudely awakened by the speakers (at 6am) for another full hour, which just stopped.

I was having a peaceful sleep before this infernal blasting started again. I now have a headache, waiting to the para to kick in.

No way I am going to subject my life to this abuse. For those of you able to adapt somehow, you are lucky. I wish I could but I know I can't.

I just told my wife I was sorry, but I cannot live here. Our budget is especially tight until Jan 1, but after that we can afford to rent again in Chao Lao Beach at a beautiful new resort where we stayed earlier in the year for 4 months (8K/month). After June and when the land is paid off, we'll then be able to afford something comfortable in Jomtien or somewhere maybe in BKK where I have never stayed. As for where we eventually build, I don't have a clue. But not here.

The wife is upset. She said she'd arrange to have the speakers point away, but I know that won't help much. There are the other noises to contend with, and as I said before, the village is not going to change.

Jeezuz, more blasting music now - a food vendor just came by. Lord.

I feel sad, but I know reality when I see it. Can't hack living here, no way. :)

Edited by Lopburi99

You could checkout my blog at VillageFarang. There are a couple of slideshows there and lots of other pictures scattered throughout the blog.

Thanks for link,VillageFarang,nice blog and beautiful pics!

I experienced village life for couple of weeks three years ago.The morning trips with lots of children,gathering bamboo sprouts and mushrooms,along unspoiled landscapes with rivers,ponds and rice fields were great fun.I had some football matches with the locals on the school playground,but i could not speak the local dialect,and it was quite boring in the evening while GF was sitting long time with her family.

Great memory,and i guess if i had no need to work,a good partner and a couple of hobbies,i could live in a village forever.

Thanks and stop by anytime.

Y'all please stay in your human ghettos, thus I can have the fresh air for myself and the villagers :D

I built 1km out of the village, so no roosters or loud speakers to disturb my peace, although I am mostly up around 5am.

Unlike other farangs I visited around the villages the extended family does not invade my place nor empties my fridge, so all is perfect. Heaven is here.

I do visit Bangkok, Pattaya and some other sinful places on this planet from time to time, question of not loosing contact with YOUR real world out there, enjoy your poison :)

Edited by tartempion

Yes I too was going stir crazy in the small villiage at first. Then I started to do what I wanted to do, go out by myself on the motorbike

to see just how far a tank will take me and my camera. 2nd I took up fishing, then photography. I also made trips to the "big city" Chang Mai for a Burger king burger and some time with the RUDE FALANGS. I will take my slow village any day over the trafic jambs in Los Angeles. And a lot less rude people here.

Life is what you make of it, be it a prison or a paridise. Go enjoy the bit of paridise that you are in, It could be worse.

I'm beginning to think the handwriting is on the wall. We've been in a rural village near Sao Kaeo for about two months and I'm not sure I can adapt.

The most difficult is the early morning noise starting at 6am or earlier (like blasting one hour public announcements, music, ceremonial flute music/chanting, food vendors, you name it) which prevents me from getting a decent sleep and puts me right off in a lousy mood each day. This morning some nearby farmer is burning something and I can't sit outside because of the smoke. Man oh Man.

The wife won't be happy to hear this, especially since her family also lives here in the village (an additional difficulty), but I am thinking life in a quiet, clean high-rise in Jomtien or Pattaya may be a necessity for me. I also really miss the western food and English speaking businesses but that is a different matter.

Has anybody successfully adapted to village life like this? I need to hear a success story.

I have lived in a very remote village of 20 abodes for nearly 2 years. The nearest city is 30km away but has yet to attract a Lotus or Big C. The boredom factor is huge. Hobbies are the key and having a network of friends. Also, having your own place where you and your partner can't be disturbed is essential. I have started to take weekly trips to one of the main cities in Isaan just to keep sane. But ultimately it depends on who you share your life with and your own ability to adapt to the real Thai culture.

I moved from Chiang Mai to a small hamlet 10k outside of Prachinburi in May. Wife's grandparents house. Her grandfather was dying ( he died 2 weeks after we moved in ) and the family wanted someone to take care of the house.

So far I am adapting.

I have found that life can be nice if you can converse in Thai. I'm not fluent as of yet, but can rattle of sentences and be understood.

To me, that is the secret of having a comfy exsistence in the sticks.

The hamlet I'm in ( I call it a hamlet because there are only approx 300 here ) is family and friends of the family and everybody knows each other.

Makes it pretty easy if I need something.

I have started running again after a 3 year break, which kills 3 hrs in the morning.

Here's a pic of the street in front of the house...no neighbors in sight.

post-46099-1253670472_thumb.jpg

Well, it's 6:55am and once again I was rudely awakened by the speakers (at 6am) for another full hour, which just stopped.

I was having a peaceful sleep before this infernal blasting started again. I now have a headache, waiting to the para to kick in.

No way I am going to subject my life to this abuse. For those of you able to adapt somehow, you are lucky. I wish I could but I know I can't.

I just told my wife I was sorry, but I cannot live here. Our budget is especially tight until Jan 1, but after that we can afford to rent again in Chao Lao Beach at a beautiful new resort where we stayed earlier in the year for 4 months (8K/month). After June and when the land is paid off, we'll then be able to afford something comfortable in Jomtien or somewhere maybe in BKK where I have never stayed. As for where we eventually build, I don't have a clue. But not here.

The wife is upset. She said she'd arrange to have the speakers point away, but I know that won't help much. There are the other noises to contend with, and as I said before, the village is not going to change.

Jeezuz, more blasting music now - a food vendor just came by. Lord.

I feel sad, but I know reality when I see it. Can't hack living here, no way. :)

If you give it time you can adapt. The loud speakers here are also blasting at 6am, remedy: get up before 6am and if the music & nonsense bothers you, put on some headphones. The smell of cow crap takes awhile to get used to if possible at all. The dogs barking: slingshot or bb gun, noisy neighbors: turn up your music so you can't hear outside. Over time (in my case), you'll get more used to it and less offended. If none of the above work, pack it up. Sitting on the fence won't help, much.

If you give it time you can adapt. The loud speakers here are also blasting at 6am, remedy: get up before 6am and if the music & nonsense bothers you, put on some headphones. The smell of cow crap takes awhile to get used to if possible at all. The dogs barking: slingshot or bb gun, noisy neighbors: turn up your music so you can't hear outside. Over time (in my case), you'll get more used to it and less offended. If none of the above work, pack it up. Sitting on the fence won't help, much.

I'll keep trying JR, thanks. But I always like to have a definite plan and being wishy-washy or undecided on something is not my nature. However, as I said, I must remain here at least through Jan 1 so we'll try out some of the suggestions you and others have made. No reason not to. Maybe something will crack this nut.

I moved from Chiang Mai to a small hamlet 10k outside of Prachinburi in May. Wife's grandparents house. Her grandfather was dying ( he died 2 weeks after we moved in ) and the family wanted someone to take care of the house.

So far I am adapting.

I have found that life can be nice if you can converse in Thai. I'm not fluent as of yet, but can rattle of sentences and be understood.

To me, that is the secret of having a comfy exsistence in the sticks.

The hamlet I'm in ( I call it a hamlet because there are only approx 300 here ) is family and friends of the family and everybody knows each other.

Makes it pretty easy if I need something.

I have started running again after a 3 year break, which kills 3 hrs in the morning.

Here's a pic of the street in front of the house...no neighbors in sight.

Great photo - you gotta love that open road!

Sure wish I had my Harley now. That would change things a lot. Hmmmm <idea> :):D

Edited by Lopburi99

Hi Mate,

Firstly I know how you feel!! I have been living ina small village called Bangnong 35 km outside surratthanee, where there is no farangs whatsoever, (there are a few I have met in Surrat itself) I have renovated the entire top floor of the FAMILIES farmhouse to western standards so at least I have a retreat!! I have been here approx 2 years now and still find it quite hard as my thai is very poor(just cant learn tried and tried!!)

I originally moved here to keep an eye on a couple of Thai workers who were supposedly farming my rubber and making rubber air dried sheet for me!!! That was a laugh one for me and two for them!!!.

So now I have built a small factory for processing the rubber into smoked ribbed sheets very proffitable if done right, and we are still learning, althiugh we are now producing abouth 900-1000kg per day and at 69-72bt per kg thats not bad,

If I didnt have this buisness I would have gone up the wall by now, as it is very hard doing nothing especially if you have no means of communication except with your wife to translate everything, even then you only get about 2/3rds of the conversation.

I have managed to get to pattaya a couple of times for r&r but it is quite difficult as we are very busy, If I had a choice I wouldnt have come here I would have stayed in my luxury condo!!! with all my freinds and all the mod cons, However I have made my own bed so to speak!!

Once we become established and can find someone I trust (LOL) maybe I can install him as a manager and have some more R&R

best of Luck

Paul

Great photo - you gotta love that open road!

Sure wish I had my Harley now. That would change things a lot. Hmmmm <idea> :):D

There, I think you've answered your question. The loud noise thing can only be remedied by your waking up earlier than when it begins (I know, pain in the ass if you're not a morning person), then get on the bike and roam! The feeling of freedom will probably make a night or day change for you. For me, I hate big cities but I've lived in BKK for 3 years now. I have felt trapped here just as much as I imagine you can be trapped anywhere. Getting my bike made a big difference (once I can escape the hel_l that is BKK traffic) to adjusting my feeling of freedom.

You don't need a Harley either, there are many other options that are easier to buy and own (you don't want to add to your headache!). Head out to your nearest Kawasaki dealer, they have the cheapest "big" bikes (600cc and up) in Thailand right now. I wish I'd waited and bought a Kawasaki, instead of buying used. Owning an older bike can be a pain when you live in a condo that doesn't let you take the bike apart. :D

Getting up early and going for a ride will also be the best time to go, hardly any traffic or kids to worry about. You can almost pretend that you're back on the old rural roads in whatever province you came from. (for me it's Ontario)

Good luck!