Short-time With Kwang

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Whilst riding my bicycle (both tires flat again, just repaired) I saw a man walking down the street with a hard-hat on, probably going home from a start-early day-shift from the construction site of the giant new spa not far from where I live (why they are locating a giant spa in a congested neighborhood without a lot of trees, full of down-at-the-dumps shops, video-game parlors, etc. ... who can say ? maybe they own the neighborhood, and after the spa is built comes the evictions, or the re-cycling of the 'hood ?) ...

I saw he was holding, in each hand, a stick of sugar cane, with half of it 'exposed" : so the resident Kwang fighting beetle could be feeding, attached, as usual, by a slender string running from the prong on his top long-horn back to the front of the sugar-cane cutting.

Those of you new to what Kwang beetles are, and their interesting place in Lanna culture, may enjoy (reprint of old Bangkok Post article on the wonderful Thaibugs.com site ... note pictures not showing up on my machine) :

http://www.thaibugs.com/Articles/The%20met...he%20beetle.htm

Out of curiousity I bicylcled over, and said 'Sawasdee Khrup,' and asked : "Pom doo Kwang Khun, dai mai, Khrup ?"

He smiled and handed one over : a magnificent warrior with flawless dark black-brown mirror-shiny armor.

I was admiring it, and he started to walk away : I said to him in Thai that he was forgetting his beetle, and he grinned, and wai'd me, and said "hai Khun" ("for you"); of course I grinned and wai'd back, and there I was with Khun Kwang in that post-serendipity-strikes-syrup of good feeling again :)

Then it "dawned" on me that I was now "with Kwang" : what would my cat do but want to have at Khun Kwang and mess him up bad unless he got lucky and got his horns locked on his tender something-or-other which I think would require a trip to the vet (for the cat : are there Mor Kwan [fighting beetle doctors] for the Kwan ?).

So I bicycled over to the little store where our neighborhood Earth-Mother (around 80 something) presides over an extended old Chiang Mai family, and over a motley crew of hangers-on (including a few local loons/derelicts usually there getting five baht shots of lao kao), stopped in front of the store, and held up Khun Kwang to show him off. About ten people started smiling immediately (probably surprised the local insane farang had not run out of bizarre tricks yet).

A younger man (not one of the 'lao kao' brigade) I have seen many times there at the little run-down shop who never makes eye contact with me (which I am careful to respect) came "out of his shell," so to speak, and got very excited by the Kwang, reached out his hand for him. It's the first time I have seen him smile (which could reflect nothing but the fact he may be "guarded" around farang, or may be an illegal immigrant worker, or whatever).

I told him in Thai that a man on the street had just given Khun Kwang to me, and he said that he would like me to give Khun Kwang to him.

Done deal :D Laughter, more smiles, all around.

I can say, truthfully, that's the best short-time I've ever had. If serendipity "knows no" cultural boundaries, I am thankful.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

When we moved into our house, we had a songthaew full of belongings to take with us.

We were driven to our destination in silence. When we arrived, and as we were off-loading, I pointed out to Mrs T the sontheaew license number ending in the propitious '28' which in Chinese sounds like 'easy prosperity'

The driver was intrigued and asked what we were discussing and then whether I could read his future for him. Of course I couldn't, but he had opened up and we sat on the floor (no furniture yet) sipping coke and talking about our respective families for an hour.

That's one of my short times that comes to mind.

No less mentally evicerating than a food thread. Sorry to be the one to tell you but the sixties finished 40 years ago...and you guys eventually sold out and got jobs with the establishment.

That's a bit harsh. One thing I really like about Thailand is that people can live their lives here as they choose, without criticism from others.

No less mentally eviscerating than a food thread. Sorry to be the one to tell you but the sixties finished 40 years ago...and you guys eventually sold out and got jobs with the establishment.

Some sold out, but really it was the kids from the 70s and 80s that really mucked things up, and not just with the bad music. Bill Gates never did experience the 60s, spent his time squirreled away in McCallister Hall. By the time he got out to begin, with others, to see the sunlight and to create this new era, the 60s were long over. You can have his/this world. By the way, I spend my time in Thailand deep enough in the rural areas where you still see kids playing with these beetles.

Sawasdee Khrup ~o:37;

Your first line of the tale almost got me. I thought you said you saw a man walking down the street with a hard on.

Regards Blink E. Bill.

As for you, Lowdead, get a life.

Really Bill

I posted:

"These beetles are kept for two reasons only: fighting and gambling"

and you posted:

"Lowdead, get a life"

Nice one mate. :)

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Whilst riding my bicycle (both tires flat again, just repaired) I saw a man walking down the street with a hard-hat on, probably going home from a start-early day-shift from the construction site of the giant new spa not far from where I live (why they are locating a giant spa in a congested neighborhood without a lot of trees, full of down-at-the-dumps shops, video-game parlors, etc. ... who can say ? maybe they own the neighborhood, and after the spa is built comes the evictions, or the re-cycling of the 'hood ?) ...

I can say, truthfully, that's the best short-time I've ever had. If serendipity "knows no" cultural boundaries, I am thankful.

best, ~o:37;

================================================================================

=========================

Mr. Orang37 - Sir; I am green with envy (in a healthy way) at your ability with the "Pen"; You most certainly appear to have the "Gift-Of-The-Quiff" !

I really enjoyed that extremely well put-together story; I want you to know !

For the record; I am a simple man; when I hear music (any kind of music) and when it "puts goosebumps on the skin of my arms"; then I find that good music; when I read a piece of prose and I can see it in the "VDO-of-my-mind", then I find it a good story; your story did that and more !

You should definatelly endulge in this gift a lot more, because you obviously have what it takes.

This comes from someone who is extremely partial to chaps like R. Kipling; W.Smith, J. Grisham, W. Churchill, L. L'Amour - just to mention a few.

Since wer're on the subject, this is what above mentioned Rudyard Kipling once penned-down:

"When a Hill-girl grows lovely, she's well worth crossing 50 miles of bad country to lay eyes upon"

When I first read this, it didn't just produce goosebumps; it had a profound effect on me.

All compliments aside; IF you like; I could be your agent - anytime you like ! !

Cheers,

JGK/Pattaya

Really Bill

I posted:

and you posted:

"Lowdead, get a life"

Good to see your sense of humour is finally emerging.

Better than spreading nasty malicious untruths about certain staff members of a particular establishment on Moonmuang Road.

Bf bought a couple of those Beetles several months back for his son and we had a bit of fun setting up a wrestling ring. He also bought a female and would you believe that in the end both the males had their wicked way with her! Anyway..they were released back into the wild a few days later. Amazing creatures!

Great story Orang. Thank you. :)

post-33493-1253675963_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1253676033_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1253676320_thumb.jpg

Really Bill

I posted:

and you posted:

"Lowdead, get a life"

Good to see your sense of humour is finally emerging.

Better than spreading nasty malicious untruths about certain staff members of a particular establishment on Moonmuang Road.

Strong accusation there Bill. Of course you can find where I did this and quote it. I'd love to read it. Otherwise people may think you are spreading nasty and malicious untruths about poor Loaded.

Over to you.

Nice work, oh sapien avatar of Orangutan spirit.

I too am an admirer of the Kwang (or Gwaang as I might type it). A couple yrs ago, before they fenced up and bulldozed a couple of places along Tung Hotel Rd, there was a little bamboo stall or two and some lao khao stalls set up every September-time for Kwang fighting competitions. After having seen it set up every yr in the same place, I finally took the time to go over with a camera and speak sweetly so that I might ingratiate myself to hang out, learn, and take a bunch of photos of the goings-on, including the laying down of cash wagers. I ended up putting together a real nice photo essay and having having a capital time. Don't think I've even shared the photos with more than one or two individuals, but I certainly was proud to have spent a whole day immersed in a deep Thai/ Lanna activity. It still sticks out as one of those special Thai moments I helped make/include myself in. I guess you'd have to say I spent a long time with the Kwang, and many of them, by the way.

I'd be happy to exchange tales, and share my pix of the day with you when I come back to CM, some time just before Halloween.