Marriage Extension Of Non-o (thai Husband)

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere on here, but my search didn't answer all my questions as most were suited to a farang with a thai wife.

I am Canadian and my husband is Thai. Can you tell me what I need to do and where to apply for this 1- year extension?

When I asked the Thai consulate in Vancouver, they gave me a 1 year multi entry non o and said "that's all you need!" not telling me I'd still have to do visa runs every 3 months, or even mentioning that this extension existed. Then the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok told me I have to do this inside Thailand, and the Thai immigration said I had to leave the country to do it, and a woman I know who does it with her farang husband told me I have to do it in Canada..or maybe I'm mixed up...but it was those 3 stories from those 3 people, perhaps in a different order? ...help?

Do I need to show his income or mine? Do I need to show that he pays income tax in Thailand? Because when I apply for this visa, we will have been living in Canada for over a year. Can we/do we need to use his Canadian income tax? I don't think he ever has paid income tax in Thailand. Do most people?

And what do I need to apply for a work permit along with this? We will be self-employed, and of course I can pretend I'm not working there, but I'd rather be legal about it, if I can.

Does anyone out there teach Visas 101? Cause I'd like to sign up for a class! If anyone wants to know about Canadian Sponsorship, ask away because I am pretty versed in that by now!

One more thing, anyone know if either of us could have duel citizenship in both countries? I'm sure I could google that one, but you guys are so smart, I bet you'll know..

I'm also a Canadian w/ Thai husband living in Bkk.

There are fewer requirements for the 1-yr extension if you're applying on the basis of a Thai husband. Prior to the expiration of your first 90 days in Thailand (4 weeks before) you should go to immigration (in Thailand) and apply for the extension. You need the following documents:

1. The application form

2. Original and copy of your passport

3. 4x6 cm photo (although they now take your photo at the office, too)

4. Processing fee of 1900 baht

5. Original and copy of all "important" documents relative to your marriage (e.g. original marriage certificate, Thai translation / certification)

6. Copy of your husband's house registry and Thai ID card

7. Kids' birth certificates (if applicable)

8. Map to your current residence in Thailand, and photos of you and your husband "proving" that you're a happily married couple

There will also be an "interview" with both of you when you apply.

As long as you initiate this process before your 90 days expire, you oughtn't need to leave Thailand.

The work permit is another beast entirely (and not related to Immigration) but you can get a work permit while in Thailand on a Non-O "husband" visa.

Finally, both Thailand and Canada permit holding multiple passports, so should either of you consider dual citizenship, the legality oughtn't be a problem. Although to apply for Thai citizenship, you have to first live here for 5 consecutive years, be a good citizen, speak Thai, and hold your breath while your application gets processed for 2-3 years....

The above sounds good but there is a shortcut to citizenship available as do not believe PR is a requirement for wife. But it might require a lawyer to get everybody on the right page.

Working legally is going to be a problem as you can not just get a work permit - there has to be a Thai company involved. So that one will take further study.

If you do not mind visa runs every 90 days you might want to keep current status until the last time to get your money back for the extra 'multi' entry visa they sold you. All you needed was a single entry. But if far from border or costly do the change during the last 30 days of current (or any) entry.

I'm also a Canadian w/ Thai husband living in Bkk.

There are fewer requirements for the 1-yr extension if you're applying on the basis of a Thai husband. Prior to the expiration of your first 90 days in Thailand (4 weeks before) you should go to immigration (in Thailand) and apply for the extension. You need the following documents:

1. The application form

2. Original and copy of your passport

3. 4x6 cm photo (although they now take your photo at the office, too)

4. Processing fee of 1900 baht

5. Original and copy of all "important" documents relative to your marriage (e.g. original marriage certificate, Thai translation / certification)

6. Copy of your husband's house registry and Thai ID card

7. Kids' birth certificates (if applicable)

8. Map to your current residence in Thailand, and photos of you and your husband "proving" that you're a happily married couple

There will also be an "interview" with both of you when you apply.

As long as you initiate this process before your 90 days expire, you oughtn't need to leave Thailand.

The work permit is another beast entirely (and not related to Immigration) but you can get a work permit while in Thailand on a Non-O "husband" visa.

Finally, both Thailand and Canada permit holding multiple passports, so should either of you consider dual citizenship, the legality oughtn't be a problem. Although to apply for Thai citizenship, you have to first live here for 5 consecutive years, be a good citizen, speak Thai, and hold your breath while your application gets processed for 2-3 years....

Fewer requirements than what? Applying if the spouse is the wife?

Great! Thanks for that. Now why can't immigration make it that clear?

I've just been using tourist visas since we live close enough to malaysia that border runs can be done in a day, though it is a hassle.

We aren't looking for citizenship any time soon. Moreso for my husband in Canada as it opens more doors for him than a Thai passport would for me (aside from convienience), but it's great to know we can do it.

On that topic, anyone here (in my same situation) applied for PR or citizenship? Is it something worth considering? We don't have set plans to stay in either country, so for now this works for us, but perhaps in the future we may want to settle down somewhere.

I would suggest you visit the ladies forum if you have not already done so - believe there are some there who have done, or at least considered, the PR/citizenship process. There is a pinned item at top of this forum with a lot of information but most is specific to foreign husband process when married.

for taxes, what my husband had to do was , when we visited thailand this past april, was go to the minsitry of labour in your changwat, and they give u a piece of paper saying that taxes have been paid (if he works in canada then he will have a work permit in his passport); anon works in israel so he pays taxes here... u have to get it in your changwat in order to leave thailand : they ask for it every time we have been to thailand and then left. with that paper, he gets a stamp from the airport somewhere in a corner, (anon goes alone, while i wait), that seems to be affirmation that he was indeed at the min. of labour. and proves that he is a tax paying citizen.

its in thai but its actually a re-entry permit (says re entry in english) that is blank: when he arrives in thailand, he will have to go to that office and get a stamp/permit for the taxes and then on leaving they take it and give a new empty form for the next time. not sure if thai women have that same ordeal cause mostly i saw men (most of whom are/were working overseas in israel etc) sitting int he changwat office. the woman asked to see me also, but it was more a courtesy thing since i am farang. the paper is not the arrival card from the flight. its a separate thing stapled in the passport, it has a barcode number on it (new, since last time before it was sort of an impromtu type form , this one looks mor e official.

for pr someone told me that taxes have to be paid in thailand proper but they were checking it out. havent heard since. and that the wait is forever w/o limit anyhow.

bina

israel

(visit us in ladies forum anyhow, the more the merrier)

Great! Thanks for that. Now why can't immigration make it that clear?

I think immigration does make it clear.

You were quoting the embassy, and they are all notorious for their lack of understanding of the rules.

I am glad you came here and we were able to give you accurate info. :)