Post-crisis Thailand: Buildling A New Democratic Society

LawnGnome

"Post-Crisis Thailand : Building a New Democratic Society"

Speech by Abhisit Vejjajiva, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand , "Post-Crisis Thailand : Building a New Democratic Society" at Columbia University, New York, on September 22.

President of Columbia University,

Professor Stiglitz,

Faculty Members and Students,

Friends and colleagues,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is truly an honor for me to be invited to speak at the world renowned Columbia University where three United States Presidents including President Obama, nine Justices of the Supreme Court and 39 Nobel Prize winners have studied. This is a record which is certainly hard to beat. I am definitely proud to be at one of the world's most important centers of research and academic excellence, and absorb the vibrant atmosphere for learning.

In my college days, I attended school in the United Kingdom, naturally, to follow the path set by my parents.

But that doesn't mean that I chose the United Kingdom over the United States. After all, I have adopted my liking for American hard rock music outside the classroom in the UK. In fact, more than 9,000 Thai students are now studying in the US, 57 of them at this very university.

The United States has produced many prominent and able graduates who are now leaders in Thai public and private sectors, including many members of my Cabinet and members of my delegation who are here with me today.

Post-Crisis Thailand : Building a new democratic society

Now the topic I chose to speak today is one that is very close to my heart, "Post Crisis- Thailand : Building a new democratic society" Thailand has simultaneously faced two crises, one of our own making, another from outside factors.

The world economic crisis has hit Thailand as it has hit other countries. In fact, this crisis is what we have to face with the advent of globalization. Butterfly effects can now be felt across the world. Since this crisis started in the largest economy such as the United States, the effects have been multiplying. When the US sneezes, people elsewhere also catch a cold.

The second crisis is of our own making, our own political situation which has been making headline news for the past few years. My Government came in nine months ago and since then we have managed to gain back confidence from our friends. The fact that I can be here speaking to you today can very well testify that the situation is in good order and not to be of concern.

After nine months in office, my Government has proved to the Thai people that we are a Government that represents people of all colors. For those who do not see things eye to eye with the Government and feel that their voices can be better heard on the streets, we fully respect their right to assembly and right to freedom of expression. What we as Government will make sure is that these rights are exercised in a peaceful and responsible manner with full respect to the rule of law and does not affect other people's rights to carry out their daily activities.

So what I would like to share with you today is our view of a post-crisis Thailand. I am not naive to claim that the world economic situation is doing fine and well, but at least there are signs indicating that the worst is probably over. The economic crisis in the US and in my own country has bottomed out. Cautious confidence can be felt. And as Government, I am looking ahead to the days when things are back to normal and to what we will have to do to shape the course and direction of the society to prepare for the future.

Based on past experiences, what would a post-crisis Thailand look like?

Like countries around the world, Thailand aspires for a kind of democracy that will lead us to sustainable development. We realize that this road towards a functioning democracy and sustainable development is a long and winding one, with many exits, many corners, many pot holes, and at times, seems like there is no end to it.

Thailand has gone through our democratic experience formally since 1932 when Thailand transformed from an absolute monarchy to a Constitutional Monarchy and parliamentary system. We have had 18 constitutions, we had about 24 coups, and we may have had 4 governments within the last two years. But that doesn't mean that democracy is failing in Thailand. On the contrary, democracy is vibrantly at work. Like Secretary Clinton said when she visited Thailand in July this year, Thai politics is as spicy as its food.

We have been through ups and downs and we are learning. The whole society is learning to adapt and to find ways to have a sustainable democracy. And one good thing about the political situation we have been experiencing is that more and more Thai people in all walks of life, at all levels, are becoming engaged in politics. They do not leave politics in the hands of the few.

Politics is no longer a matter of a few elites or people at the top. Politics is in every household and I consider that a good start for a strong and sustainable democracy. There is always a silver lining in every cloud. Always an opportunity exists in every crisis.

Now as to what type of democracy is needed, let me share with you my thoughts.

We want a kind of democracy which is based on the rule of law, responsibility and accountability. We want a kind of democracy where people's voices are not only heard during elections, but their voices are integral to all decision-making processes.

We want a democracy where not only the majority rules, but the minority also has a fair share, their voices duly heard and their interest equally recognized.

How we actually get such a democracy is, of course ,a challenge, a big challenge.

As a believer in liberal democracy and as a student of politics and economics, I will offer my thoughts on how my Government intends to build Thailand into a new democratic society.

Exactly one month ago, I had the honor of speaking after the lecture given by Professor Stiglitz in Bangkok. Professor Stiglitz is very well known in Thailand and many people came to listen to him, so I took the opportunity to share my thoughts on how to make a progressive Thailand. Then I laid down basic principles on how I would bring the country to the next level. They are vital factors to making a new democratic society and these principles can very well apply to many other countries aspiring for democracy.

First, a new democratic society must be based truly on people and the people's needs. No government nowadays is a legitimate government if it does not rule in the interest of its people. In Thailand you may have heard that political division goes by color, be it yellow, red, and so on. I have made it clear since the first day in office that this Government intends to work for people of all colors, on a non-discriminatory basis. And we have done just that over the past nine months.

Under the first stimulus package, we have the "Tonkla-Archeep" program, which is a skill training scheme, as a social safety net for those who became unemployed during the economic crisis. 70% of 200,000 participants in this scheme have found new jobs, which, in some cases, are in different sectors from what they did previously. We have also the program called "subsistence benefits" to provide some monthly money for the elderly people without pensions to ensure that their living condition is acceptable.

Second, a new democratic society in transition needs to pay attention to reconciliation. We need to ensure that political division doesn't get into the way of development. Without reconciliation, we cannot implement policies to benefit people. Change cannot be introduced. As a result, development cannot be achieved. But reconciliation does not mean bending laws. On the contrary, we will make sure that law enforcement is sufficient and fair, and that there will be justice and political solution to political problem.

When I talk about reconciliation in Thailand, I mean reconciliation at many levels; reconciliation of differences between people of all colors, be they yellow, red or others; reconciliation in the Southern border provinces, or even reconciliation and enhanced relations with our neighbors.

Regarding the situation in the Southern border province, my Government is trying our best to bring the situation to normalcy and to achieve prosperity and development in the long term. Through education, and social policies as well as economic development schemes, the Government has already begun to win back the hearts and minds of those who may otherwise think that the Government does not care about them.

On our Eastern border, you may have heard news about tension between Thailand and Cambodia. But the situation is just one minor piece of the comprehensive relations between Thailand and Cambodia. Both sides agree not to let one single issue cloud over others. And we will not allow emotions to win over reasons and facts.

Reconciliation can happen only when we put away our subjectivity and prejudices and try to understand challenges facing all sides, their strength and weaknesses, their constraints and limitations, as well as those of our own.

Reconciliation can happen only when we talk and engage in dialogue in good faith. And I take this opportunity to welcome the wind of change in the US foreign policy under President Obama. I commend his willingness to "engage" and to "listen" in conducting the new chapter of US foreign policy which emphasizes on 3Ds---namely defense, development, and diplomacy. The US' leading role in addressing many challenges of today's globalized world will not be successful without the attempt to reconciliate. And reconciliation takes the efforts of all sides.

Third, a new democratic society needs more openness. There is no time that the world economy needs openness more than now. This is why the Government has initiated many investment incentives for foreign investors. Over the last nine months, Thailand has even entered into two more free trade agreements. So investing in Thailand does not mean investing in a market of 64 million consumers, but increasingly we are a base for production for exports, especially given the hard-working and skilled human resources. And remember, Asean has close to 600 million people and we are becoming an economic community in 2015.

Openness is not only about economic policies. It is more about attitude and the way of life. Thais are known for our flexibility, open-mindedness, and that still holds true today. For many hundreds of years, we have welcomed foreigners to our society as traders, advisors, missionaries, teachers, investors and tourists. As ever, Thailand continues to welcome our foreign friends.

Fourth, a new democratic society must be firmly founded on good governance. Democracy and development is certainly not possible without good governance. The political situation that we got ourselves into, in fact, is deeply rooted in the lack of good governance and accountability.

Government popularly elected claimed their basis for governing from votes and then corrupted policies for their own benefits. But democracy should not and must not end at voting booths. Democracy is a process and it is a process which should rest firmly on the basis of good governance.

Apply this situation everywhere in the world and you would see where democracy is failing is where good governance is lacking. What a sustainable democracy and a sustainable development need more than anything else is good governance. This need for good governance goes for not only government but the private sector as well.

Fifth, in a globalised world, a new democratic society like Thailand's must take into account regional integration. Asean is now growing as a community. And as a community, Asean has entered into free trade agreements with China, Australia, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, India and Japan. Asean as a market of 580 million people, with hard working and one of the most efficient labor force in the world, a region strategically located next to two of the world's fastest growing economies, India and China, offers tremendous opportunity for investment and trade. By 2015 Asean would become a single economic community, linking together ten promising economies, 600 million consumers and capable workforce.

Even more important than economic benefits from regional integration, I believe, is the effects of regional integration on political development in the region. In places where democracy flourishes in one country, where people at grassroots level participate actively in local and national politics, it is inevitable that its neighbors will also feel the effects. Democracy is a learning process.

Regional integration helps accelerate the learning process. On one side, it is a peer pressure, on another side, it is simply learning by seeing, by imitating. Most importantly, regional integration helps building democracy by teamwork, with all stakeholders involved.

Sixth , a new democratic society in Thailand needs economically sound policies. Without economic policies which can bring development to people, democracy is bound to fail. Economic development which doesn't narrow the income gap will not bode well for democracy. I mentioned this point with concern as the gap between the rich and the poor in Thailand is also widening.

My Government attaches great importance to the sufficiency economy philosophy initiated by our beloved King. Sufficiency Economy is not about shutting in from the outside world, but it is about living in moderation.

We learn from the recent crisis that a small, open economy like Thailand cannot always rely on exports to external markets by as much as 70% of GDP like the traditional textbooks postulate. Thailand is trying to balance the external demand with the internal ones boosted by the Stimulus Package 2 which is also financed domestically.

Over the next three years, we plan to make massive long-term investments such as those in infrastructure initiated by the government and continued by the private sector or Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) and in human capital. In addition, we will expand our creative economy which combines our identical culture with the local innovations and technology from the current 10% of GDP to 20% with Stimulus Package 2.

We will also provide our people enough protection from the adverse effects of globalization, either economically or culturally. The other aspect would be environmentally-friendly development toward low carbon green economy to ensure sustainable development for the future generation.

Seventh, a new democratic society needs innovation and vision. Innovation is as important to democracy as it is to sustainable development. In any democracy, the lack of innovation can gravely undermine the spirit of learning, the desire for knowledge, and vice versa. People can become complacent and take democracy for granted. When you leave policy-making in the hands of your representatives and do not monitor them and do not consider the wider interest of the whole nation, that puts democracy in a risky situation.

As for vision, any country aspiring for sustainable democracy and development needs vision. Government needs to look ahead and recognize future trends and can certainly not deal with only immediate challenges or day-to-day tasks.

Vision is not only about Government, but we need the public to be able to visualize what they would wish to see their country in 5 years' time, in 10 years' time and then, with a common vision in mind, the whole nation will help move the country forward together.

Last, and the most important one is that to build a new democratic society, we need education for all. As a former university lecturer, providing quality education to all is a topic which is very dear to my heart.

I can say that what I am most proud of my Government's work over the past nine months is the fact that we have started a free 15 year basic education program. Education provides access to opportunities and equality. Democracy where people cannot make informed decision can be very damaging. It can lead to the tyranny of the majority. A true democracy must be founded on an educated public. We must invest in our future by investing in education. This is not a choice but a must.

Conclusion

Now I chose to speak on this topic because it is not about Thailand only, but it is the situation that you may very well find in countries across the world. I know that this audience comprises opinion leaders of today and of the future. You are students and practitioners of politics and economics. So I want to share with you and to leave with you that democracy is something that needs to be cultivated, needs to be learned, and that to have a kind of democracy that will lead to sustainable development, we need to focus on people, reconciliation of difference, openness of economies and attitudes, good governance, regional integration, economic policies for equal wealth distribution, sufficiency and sustainable development, innovation, vision, and education. These are just some basic factors that need to be put in place, not only in Thailand but elsewhere, for our common future.

And the future is not tomorrow. The future is in today and yesterday. So let us work together. I thank you for your attention and would be happy to answer some questions.

Edited by LawnGnome

Say what you will about our PM - he makes many of the past PM's attempts to speak English pale in comparison. I'm sure some of our TV posters would rather have Samak up there talking, or Thaksin, or best of all, Charlerm.

Agreed. he outshines them in fluency, articulation, shinola and humbug. Most of what he says is arrant nonsense, probably most of it is just BS. I especially liked his comment about Thailand no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top. How he didn't choke on those words I will never know.

Did he *really* say that stuff? F*cking amazing. Stupid foreigners who don't understand about Thailand eh?

Say what you will about our PM - he makes many of the past PM's attempts to speak English pale in comparison. I'm sure some of our TV posters would rather have Samak up there talking, or Thaksin, or best of all, Charlerm.

Agreed. he outshines them in fluency, articulation, shinola and humbug. Most of what he says is arrant nonsense, probably most of it is just BS. I especially liked his comment about Thailand no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top. How he didn't choke on those words I will never know.

Did he *really* say that stuff? F*cking amazing. Stupid foreigners who don't understand about Thailand eh?

All political speeches could be attributed in the same way, but for the most part, this to me seems fairly considered. ([/edit - the speech seems considered, not the quoted post - which doesn't).

And at least he hasn't tried to dress up all the leaders in silly Asian costumes and go for a check-out-me-with-the-big-wigs photo op.

Edited by Insight

Stupid foreigners who don't understand about Thailand

It's refreshing to read posters making such self-effacing and humbling commentary about themselves.

It's also refreshing to read the speech of someone that is genuinely intelligent and doesn't sound like Elmer Fudd while proclaiming to call himself "Doctor" from a bogus PhD. At least his Police Lieutenant-Colonel has been stripped away along with his Royal decorations being removed.

I especially liked his comment about Thailand no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top. How he didn't choke on those words I will never know.

Well, you might try reading a little closer. He didn't mention anything about "no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top"

The correct quote was:

"And one good thing about the political situation we have been experiencing is that more and more Thai people in all walks of life, at all levels, are becoming engaged in politics. They do not leave politics in the hands of the few.

Politics is no longer a matter of a few elites or people at the top. Politics is in every household and I consider that a good start for a strong and sustainable democracy."

That's "politics" - not "power". And - I think the PM was dead-spot on. A whole lot more Thai people are now involved in the political process - and LOTS of them are from the working classes. For better or for worse, the voices of the workers and rural populations are being heard a lot more clearly than in past years. In the past, it was mostly Thai university students that awakened to political issues - similar to university students everywhere. But now - its a much broader base of people.

I especially liked his comment about Thailand no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top. How he didn't choke on those words I will never know.

Well, you might try reading a little closer. He didn't mention anything about "no longer being ruled by just a few people at the top"

The correct quote was:

"And one good thing about the political situation we have been experiencing is that more and more Thai people in all walks of life, at all levels, are becoming engaged in politics. They do not leave politics in the hands of the few.

Politics is no longer a matter of a few elites or people at the top. Politics is in every household and I consider that a good start for a strong and sustainable democracy."

That's "politics" - not "power". And - I think the PM was dead-spot on. A whole lot more Thai people are now involved in the political process - and LOTS of them are from the working classes. For better or for worse, the voices of the workers and rural populations are being heard a lot more clearly than in past years. In the past, it was mostly Thai university students that awakened to political issues - similar to university students everywhere. But now - its a much broader base of people.

Your sources are different from mine then. Politics, as Kev said in other words, is still in the hands of the few.

Very well written speech. Sounded a bit like a toady at the beginning.

Just some short observations.

But "full respect for the rule of law" ? the lewin case.

" back to normal" :) i hope he has better ambitions than that

"work for people of all colours on a non discrimanatory basis and we have done just that" no comment needed.

"law enforcement is fair" :D so he had no problem with his choice of chief then?

when he spoke of more openness i thought he would express his views on free press - but alas no

Very well written speech. Sounded a bit like a toady at the beginning.

Just some short observations.

But "full respect for the rule of law" ? the lewin case.

" back to normal" :) i hope he has better ambitions than that

"work for people of all colours on a non discrimanatory basis and we have done just that" no comment needed.

"law enforcement is fair" :D so he had no problem with his choice of chief then?

when he spoke of more openness i thought he would express his views on free press - but alas no

Or the failure to prosecute the yellow shirts at the airport.

Or the failure to prosecute the yellow shirts at the Cambodian border.

Or the treatment of the Rohingyans

Or the farcical verdict after the Tak Bai massacre.

Or the fact that no blue shorts have been arrested.

This Emperor has no clothes. He doesn't even have a fig leaf to cover what ought to be his overwhelming sense of embarrassment and shame.

Never mind, we'll all sing a nice song together, that'll fix it all up. :D

The man's an idiot.

More propaganda...

Abhisit is a nice speaker, and very useful to the generals; giving them a nice exterior to the outside world that errrm, say: Burma, don't have.

My feeling is that he is either incredibly naive in thinking he will be able to eek democracy from the generals bit by bit and save Thailand... or (and this is my belief) he is the next iteration of corrupt elitist using his skills to rape the Thai people. :)

Well he sure should speak good English - considering he was raised in Newcastle and went to Eton.

All in all he is more British than Thai

Yeah and my PM speaks Chinese fluently, however his socialist retrograde policies, unwarranted deficits, spin and lies will eventually cost the country dearly. Words are cheap, in fact the only thing a politician does that is, it is only actions and intelligent policy that amounts to anything. Actions means of course actually implementing intelligent policy not just talking about it in generalities.

More propaganda...

Abhisit is a nice speaker, and very useful to the generals; giving them a nice exterior to the outside world that errrm, say: Burma, don't have.

My feeling is that he is either incredibly naive in thinking he will be able to eek democracy from the generals bit by bit and save Thailand... or (and this is my belief) he is the next iteration of corrupt elitist using his skills to rape the Thai people. :)

Noticed the military quietly just picked up an additional 10 billion (to their already swollen budget) in allocations from funds the country is borrowing, wasn't mentioned on this forum of course as only cite The Nation.

We want a kind of democracy which is based on the rule of law, responsibility and accountability.

:)  Give me a frigging break. Go down to Tak Bai and say that mate without a bunch of bodyguards. I'd measure your life in milliseconds.