How Much Did You Pay For Your Haggled Goods?

konangrit

I always have a problem knowing what the real price should be when haggling with street vendors or in markets in Pattaya. Especially when it's an item I rarely or have never bought before. From T-shirts to DVDs, sunglasses to posters, how low can they go? I think they all pretty much pay the same price for the goods, and need to make a certain minimal profit, after that anything else they make on top is a bonus.

Basically, this is a thread for people to post how much they paid for items where the cost is negotiable. If someone pays less, then they can post to let others know they're paying too much. If this thread is successful, then we should end up with the lowest possible price for a wide range of goods.

To start off, I just bought some DVDs, cost was 150 Baht each, which I managed to get a measly 10 Baht knocked off per disc for buying 5. Now I'm sure I overpayed quite a bit for these, but that was the price everybody else was paying, and I don't buy DVDs very often so was unsure as to how much I should have paid.

So, who can beat DVDs 150 Baht each or 140 Baht each for purchases of 5?

Dvd 9 which are the better quality dual layer type go for 180-200 baht. I wouldnt buy anything else , its mostly junk. Its best to buy from a shop where you can return the dvd if it is has faults. The guys on i think its the 4th floor at the new IT cetre on Pattaya tai are not too bad. Also not a good idea to buy any movie that is too new . Better to wait untill it has been released as a dvd in the U.S and you will get a better copy here. I dont see it as a bargain if you pay 120 baht and only get junk. Your main concern should be the quality of the dvd.

To start off, I just bought some DVDs, cost was 150 Baht each, which I managed to get a measly 10 Baht knocked off per disc for buying 5. Now I'm sure I overpayed quite a bit for these, but that was the price everybody else was paying, and I don't buy DVDs very often so was unsure as to how much I should have paid.

I get sick of telling the touts to pi$$ of when i'm trying to enjoy a beer. And thats when they want a 100baht for them. :o And as for the flowers :D

Well 50baht a bunch if i'm feeling generous.

DVD's 150 baht

Playstation Games 100 baht in Pattaya, 80 baht in Sirracha.

Fake T-shirt large 4xl size 200baht

Tailored cotton shirt 600 baht

Tailored trousers 1100 baht

Short time 500 baht

Music CD 100 baht

Silk tie 50 baht

Plastic sunglasses 20 baht

Shorts 200 baht

I'm not saying these are the best prices availible but I've lived in Pattaya for 4 years and these are the things I buy regularly and the prices seem readily acceptable to almost all vendors (and girls :o )

Dvd 9 which are the better quality dual layer type go for 180-200 baht. I wouldnt buy anything else , its mostly junk. Its best to buy from a shop where you can return the dvd if it is has faults. The guys on i think its the 4th floor at the new IT cetre on Pattaya tai are not too bad. Also not a good idea to buy any movie that is too new . Better to wait untill it has been released as a dvd in the U.S and you will get a better copy here. I dont see it as a bargain if you pay 120 baht and only get junk. Your main concern should be the quality of the dvd.

They all say "dts 9" on them, although that's not to say they are what they say. I'm pretty sure I could return any faulty ones, as this stall is always there. I shall report back on quality after I've watched them. Two are quite new, but hopefully they're copied from a review DVD.

The correct price for any item that you have haggled for is.....

The price you are happy to pay......

Hopefully this thread will make the prices people are happy to pay lower than they would have been happy paying before. That's the whole point.

Well somebody made a website about double pricing once , but i haven't seen them dissapear yet

Hopefully this thread will make the prices people are happy to pay lower than they would have been happy paying before. That's the whole point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a good point to konangrit. Its a fact no Thai is going to tell you how much you should be paying.

Edited by SEAtramp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a good point to konangrit. Its a fact no Thai is going to tell you how much you should be paying.

I agree. Most of them start at a ridiculously high price and expect to be haggled down....usually between a third and a half of the asking price is accepted.....toklong :o

DVD's - 5 and 9 - 130 baht each in both shops in South Pattaya market. Make sure you ask for master/100% copies. The ones you can get at the same time a movie premier in the theatres are filmed from a movie copy and generally crap quality, don't bother. Most DVD's out now are DVD9 - and they really are.

I’ve ran out of patience trying to buy decent DVD’s in Cambodia. They’re all bad! On my next trip to Pattaya I’m going to buy a shop load – so where do I buy them that are great quality?

Crap shoot really - I bought about 40 of em last time. I prob had about 5/6 bad out of the lot. Bring a portable dvd player with you or buy one there - you can test them out after you buy them. Most of the vendours will take the rubbish ones back for new ones.

They all say "dts 9" on them, although that's not to say they are what they say. I'm pretty sure I could return any faulty ones, as this stall is always there. I shall report back on quality after I've watched them. Two are quite new, but hopefully they're copied from a review DVD.

Konangrit, You can check if it is a genuine 9 by puttung it in your computer dvd drive and checking the properties. If its more than 4.4 gb its a 9 because a single layer dvd 5 cant hold anymore than 4.4 gb. The geuine dvd 9s come out of the back doors of the factorys in Malaysia that make genuine legit dvd s. I would think that if you are paying less that 180 baht it is unlikely that it is a genuine 9. There are a lot of 5s dressed up as 9s going around. Needless to say many of the 5s are ok. Its just a bit of a lottery as to whether its a good copy or not.

Been meaning to put a DVD drive in my PC for the last 2 years, still haven't got around to it. So may be a while until I find out if they're 9 or not. One of them is going back tomorrow as it refused to play an hour into the movie, plays perfectly upto then. :o

A while a ago I wanted a fake TAG watch and was offered one for 1200 baht at one bar (which I declined) at another bar a guy arrived with the same watch and before he could speak I told him I could get it on the market for 350 so thats how much I was prepared to pay.

He told me thats what he paid and offered it for 400

needless to say I snaped his hand off and nearly bought the fella a drink for being such a nice guy

I've beed told a factory in bkk turns them out for 50 baht but I'm not sure I can belive that

A while a ago I wanted a fake TAG watch and was offered one for 1200 baht at one bar (which I declined) at another bar a guy arrived with the same watch and before he could speak I told him I could get it on the market for 350 so thats how much I was prepared to pay.

needless to say I snaped his hand off and nearly bought the fella a drink for being such a nice guy

I've beed told a factory in bkk turns them out for 50 baht but I'm not sure I can belive that

from china for 20 baht is probably closer to the truth :o

There are various qualities of these copy watches. For a novice it is impossible to tell the differance. Ive bought the Tags for 300-400 baht and they generally last about a year. If you nock them down to 200 baht the watch lasts about a week. I gave up and bought a genuine Seiko from a jewlers.

from china for 20 baht is probably closer to the truth 

I would go further & say that is the truth.

Copied watches in Thailand IMO are good novelty trinkets, if you pay small money ( low hundreds) But then you can move up to very good quality fakes such as Omega etc. These good quality watches are graded(1/2/3) depending on the grade of the scrap metal that was used to make them.

sunglasses = 100 bath

swim suit for the lady = 350 bath i remember once in samui a women wanted 2800 for it because it was italian made  :o bought the same one for 400 20 meters down the road.

Just got back from Poi Pet Cambodia visa run where one of our number bought a pair or good looking fake branded sunglasses for 100bht, the waiter in the cafe said he could buy them for 40bht. It seems illogical to me that the price displayed on every other stall of 100bht for a pair of sunglasses is likely to be the best price.

Or am I considering this too broadly???!!!!

Edited by spacebass