Liquor Law Out The Window?

wimpy

Last week I was at Lotus and wanted to buy some Gin. As usual, I was there at the wrong time of day for liquor purchases. I thought I'd try anyway, so I asked if I could buy some. No problem at all.

Today I was at Carrefour and noticed that all the signs stating the hours for buying alcohol had disappeared. Again, no problem buying at the wrong time. Anyone know if this stupid law has been rescinded, or if it is just being ignored?

One thing I learned in LOS that laws are never taken of the books. They may not be enforced anymore and gather dust somewhere waiting for an eager beaver to use the plumeau and reactivate it again. :o

One of Thaksins pledges after being re-elected was to revoke many outdated laws, can't find the article I read that in, but here's a quote from another: Thakisin Pledges 2005

Mr Thaksin pledged to increase people's power, partly by returning power taken from them by various laws. He would also give people a chance to exercise their power by visiting them and giving them a say, calling public hearings or even holding a referendum on important matters.
He must have forgotten about his plans for this after his 2001 victory: Thaksin Plans 2001
In addition, the government was planning to push for revocation of at least 400 outdated laws soon.

I'm sure the only outdated laws he'll be revoking are the ones that stand in his way.

In addition, the government was planning to push for revocation of at least 400 outdated laws soon.

I'm sure the only outdated laws he'll be revoking are the ones that stand in his way.

Despite the pre-election rhetoric, I also find it hard to believe that the government will be looking at rescinding obsolete laws anytime soon. Such laws seem to have served Mr. Big and his TRT buddies pretty well thus far. Recall that the big social order campaign was kicked off several years ago by dusting off some obscure military junta-written law from the 70's relating to closing hours for entertainment establishments.

Just hope and pray that nobody in the current administration remembers the law which states that foreigners have to register with the local government of every province through which they pass, while travelling in Thailand.

Seem to recall one of the reasons given for the law was to prevent after school buying of booze so perhaps the fact schools are now on holiday has something to do with it? :o

I thought it was to allow the kids to get back home safely and then let the drunk drivers do their thing after 5.

Despite the pre-election rhetoric, I also find it hard to believe that the government will be looking at rescinding obsolete laws anytime soon. Such laws seem to have served Mr. Big and his TRT buddies pretty well thus far. Recall that the big social order campaign was kicked off several years ago by dusting off some obscure military junta-written law from the 70's relating to closing hours for entertainment establishments.

Hasn't done much - things are getting back to the old ways. Sooner rather than later. :o

There's fuller story on Thaksins plans to ammend 377 laws in todays Bangkok Post: PM whets knife for biggest legal overhaul in over 200 years

A brief extract:

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is whetting his knife for the biggest legal overhaul in more than 200 years by amending 377 laws that contradict the constitution, are out of touch with the times and infringe upon people's rights.

Sounds surprisingly similar to what he promised in 2001. Better late than never, I guess. Seems like a good idea, but I remain skeptical.

Looks like the ridiculous licensing hours have been quietly binned, anyway. :o

I was summonsed to the local nick yesterday as part os a liason scheme between Farangs and Police in the event of traffic accidents,and on leaving myself and the wife were reminded by the God of the Police station that the law is still in place. I had already relaxed it myself,so now it is back on again. How long for I don't know :o

Last week I was at Lotus and wanted to buy some Gin.  As usual, I was there at the wrong time of day for liquor purchases. I thought I'd try anyway, so I asked if I could buy some.  No problem at all. 

Today I was at Carrefour and noticed that all the signs stating the hours for buying alcohol had disappeared.  Again, no problem buying at the wrong time.  Anyone know if this stupid law has been rescinded, or if it is just being ignored?

Those signs have been absent for at least a month in Chiang Mai's superstores. Replaced with signs referring to age limit of 18yrs.

Those signs  have been absent for at least a month in Chiang Mai's superstores.  Replaced with signs referring to age limit of 18yrs.

The signs were up in Lotus last week. That didn't stop them from selling to me though. I was in Rim Ping three days ago, and the signs were still up. I asked if I could purchase anyway, and was told no.

Those signs  have been absent for at least a month in Chiang Mai's superstores.  Replaced with signs referring to age limit of 18yrs.

The signs were up in Lotus last week. That didn't stop them from selling to me though. I was in Rim Ping three days ago, and the signs were still up. I asked if I could purchase anyway, and was told no.

Where were they? They weren't on the booze shelves in the main store, Hangdong Rd, or Carrefour.

Where were they?  They weren't  on the booze shelves in the main store, Hangdong Rd, or Carrefour.

I was in the Hang Dong Lotus. I think the sign was either at the entrance to the Liquor shop or next to the cash register. Yesterday was the first time I have been in Carrefour in about a month, so I am not sure when they disappeared.

Last week I was at Lotus and wanted to buy some Gin.  As usual, I was there at the wrong time of day for liquor purchases. I thought I'd try anyway, so I asked if I could buy some.  No problem at all. 

Today I was at Carrefour and noticed that all the signs stating the hours for buying alcohol had disappeared.  Again, no problem buying at the wrong time.  Anyone know if this stupid law has been rescinded, or if it is just being ignored?

Those signs have been absent for at least a month in Chiang Mai's superstores. Replaced with signs referring to age limit of 18yrs.

In Villa (Soi 33) a week the signs quoted an age limit of 20 years, along with the afternoon ban. Wonder if anybody really knows what the correct age limit is (including the law makers)?