Color Blind? You Will Want An Iphone Now

nikster

Sorry for the iTunes link but this app is really, really cool.

There's a new class of augmented reality apps out for the iPhone - they use the iPhone camera and overlay information on the picture. So far, that's resulted in quite a few cool toys, but nothing like this: The Retina app will show you the color of things. So if you're red-green color blind, and buying some clothes or maybe just want to know, you check it out through the camera and it will show you what color you are looking at.

I am not color blind, and this doesn't in any way "cure" color blindness, but I think it's really cool nonetheless:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...049204&mt=8

post-20814-1253846656_thumb.png

Sorry for the iTunes link but this app is really, really cool.

There's a new class of augmented reality apps out for the iPhone - they use the iPhone camera and overlay information on the picture. So far, that's resulted in quite a few cool toys, but nothing like this: The Retina app will show you the color of things. So if you're red-green color blind, and buying some clothes or maybe just want to know, you check it out through the camera and it will show you what color you are looking at.

I am not color blind, and this doesn't in any way "cure" color blindness, but I think it's really cool nonetheless:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...049204&mt=8

post-20814-1253846656_thumb.png

If people understood 'colourblindness' they'd realize this is just a gimmick and doesn't help colourblind people at all.

First of all we're not colourblind, we're colour deficient. In the eye there are three primary colour receptors, red blue and green. With colourblind people they don't absorb the colours at the correct level. For example I only see red at about 70/80% of the intensity I should but I see green at about 120% and blue at 100%. I still see the colours red and green but red is duller than 'normal' people see while green is brighter. When you mix the colours, eg red and green to make chocolate brown, I would actually see a more greeny brown than 'normal' people but would still know that shade as chocolate brown because that's what I've always seen it as.

So for an iphone to tell me I'm looking at cherry red, purple, green, blue, yellow or any other colour is a waste of time, I know it is. I might see a slightly different shade than 'normal' people but to me that IS the 'normal' shade and I know the name of it. :)

That looks amazing , although I am not yet an iphone owner, It never ceases to amaze me at the Vast number of new applications coming onto the market for the iphone,

TL

"Apple approved 14 new iPhone fart apps — yesterday alone"

December 18, 2008

A new power is rising in Apple’s App Store. You might think it’s all the great games that have been coming out recently for the iPhone platform — but you’d be wrong. There’s a trend that’s rising much more quickly: Fart applications.

Edited by lomatopo

If people understood 'colourblindness'..........

They can't and I know since I'm colourblind (deficiency) also.

It's hard for anyone to understand a handicap unless you have one...

It's hard for anyone to understand if someone is in excruciating pain unless you are experiencing that pain yourself but it will still never be the same since every individual has different, weaker or stronger, receptors in the brain, steering pain.

I am "non-blessed" with extremely low pain levels, meaning that if everybody is shot out so to speak with pain killing injections (like with tooth pain) I still suffer from extreme pain :)

It's hard for anyone to understand if someone is colourblind or suffers from dyslexia (like my son for instance, but a very successful businessman)

BUT, people can help, assist and listen to those who have a handicap and I certainly hope that Thaivisa will "listen" also to their colourblind members with installing their new version of IP.Board which I experienced to be horrible for my eyes.

8-12% (some speak even up to 20%) of the male population in the world suffer from colour deficiency!

LaoPo

So for an iphone to tell me I'm looking at cherry red, purple, green, blue, yellow or any other colour is a waste of time, I know it is. I might see a slightly different shade than 'normal' people but to me that IS the 'normal' shade and I know the name of it. :)

I too am also "red/green deficient" but I think my case may be just a little bit more extreme than Sumrit's. There are instances that I have to ask what color a red item or green item is. I also get some blues and purples confused. Can't be certain, but an electronic application like this may be a greater value to someone like me.

• 4 months later...

I too am also "red/green deficient" but I think my case may be just a little bit more extreme than Sumrit's. There are instances that I have to ask what colour a red item or green item is. I also get some blues and purples confused. Can't be certain, but an electronic application like this may be a greater value to someone like me.

£As someone also red/green colour blind)

Colour is all subjective. we agree names for colours but we have no way of knowing if what other people see is the same as us.

People hearing me sing also describe me as tone deaf ....but it doesn't prevent me enjoying good music

I posted this link in the mods forum a while ago in regards to questions on color blindness and TV web pages. As has been mentioned, those of us not having the deficiency can't really understand it but this page gives a little peek into how it is perceived. Colorblind Web Page Filter

Another interesting site > Vischeck

Not a very good sight in my (colour deficient) opinion. :):D

The images shown suggest that if you're 'colourblind' you can't see red and/or green at all, so, for example, you wouldn't see the red and/or green lights at traffic lights.

This just isn't true.

And if you put your own image in to see how it would change they just take the red out.

Again this just isn't true. Colour deficient people see reds and greens the same colour as everybody else, it's just the intensity of that colour that varies. In their strawberry plant example we would still see the red strawberries and green leaves but, maybe, the red would be a bit dull compared to the green.

What does vary is when, for example, you mix red and green together to make brown. Because we might see red less intensely than green we would see a different shade of brown. But because we've always known that as 'chocolate' brown that's what we'd call it, the same as non colour deficient people.

Edited by sumrit

In my case (and it seems we're all different or some are perhaps more honest than others) the vischeck site is perfect. If you go on that site then click on the "examples" in each case for me the first and second pictures look the same. I have no idea how "normal" people see the first picture. I also agree that traffic lights are not a problem, at least for me (except when they're red for five bloody minutes!). Anybody suffering from clour deficiency will be immediatly identified by the "dot" test. I cannot see the digit 3 in the example, for instance. Many people are in denial and the 20% number given is one I have seen before. Interestingly as I recall it is very rare in women and the defective gene is carried by the mother. Or so I read years ago. Later research might have modified this information though. I also read that experiments have been carried out with (I think) stem cell research and they now believe they will in future be able to repair the condition which is, as previously stated, a fault in the clour receptors at the back of the eye. Anyway, I believe I suffer from the most common form of this problem so, look at those examples and you'll see what I see (I think - I guess you can never be certain!)

Clour should of course read colour but my editor has packed up in Firefox. I'll have to go back to Bill Gates until I figure out why it's stopped working!

I posted this link in the mods forum a while ago in regards to questions on color blindness and TV web pages. As has been mentioned, those of us not having the deficiency can't really understand it but this page gives a little peek into how it is perceived. Colorblind Web Page Filter

Another interesting site > Vischeck

Not a very good sight in my (colour deficient) opinion. :):D

The images shown suggest that if you're 'colourblind' you can't see red and/or green at all, so, for example, you wouldn't see the red and/or green lights at traffic lights.

This just isn't true.

And if you put your own image in to see how it would change they just take the red out.

Again this just isn't true. Colour deficient people see reds and greens the same colour as everybody else, it's just the intensity of that colour that varies. In their strawberry plant example we would still see the red strawberries and green leaves but, maybe, the red would be a bit dull compared to the green.

What does vary is when, for example, you mix red and green together to make brown. Because we might see red less intensely than green we would see a different shade of brown. But because we've always known that as 'chocolate' brown that's what we'd call it, the same as non colour deficient people.