It's A Raid!

MJP

Been asking some of my IT geeky people about upgrading RAM on this new HP, from 4GB to 16GB. Turns out it'll be bonkers money. But after asking what I needed it for 'really fast PC, can do lot's of multi-tasking without waiting, stalling etc' they came up with this!

Don't know how much it would cost to build, but there's instructions at the end of the vid with a parts list if you're quick with the pause button.

Edited by MJP

Been asking some of my IT geeky people about upgrading RAM on this new HP, from 4GB to 16GB. Turns out it'll be bonkers money. But after asking what I needed it for 'really fast PC, can do lot's of multi-tasking without waiting, stalling etc' they came up with this!

Don't know how much it would cost to build, but there's instructions at the end of the vid with a parts list if you're quick with the pause button.

24 drives at US$ 650.00-700.00 each, plus CPUs, Motherboard, RAM, Raid Controllers, power supplies, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of money. :)

24 drives at US$ 650.00-700.00 each, plus CPUs, Motherboard, RAM, Raid Controllers, power supplies, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of money. :)

Here's what one of my geeks said;

that was a demo by the manufacturers that would cost you tens of thousands i imagine, but it was overkill really - you can do something similar without being a millionaire, you just have to be merely loaded!

Tulip sounds like the expert on this, but I reckon you could keep your current system for now as it's adequate for the job and add a decent 4-way RAID controller card for what, £200? plus 4 cheap but half-decent 64GB SSD drives like Crucial M225's would be £120-ish each. It will cost more if you want more performance or capacity of course, but I think you'd quickly hit diminishing returns with price/performance and as for capacity really you'd just use this array for your OS, programs and commonly used stuff; any archives of artwork etc can go on standard, cheap 3.5" drives. Make sure you have a proper backup of your current system before you start cos you will have to install from scratch.

Anybody here know what any of that geek stuff means and how to put it together?