How Do You Reply To Thai 's "hello" ?

Deksan

One of the best is maybe 'hello.., I love you' from teenagers (not meant seriously, but rather as a joke).

If the talk is 'friendly' (e.g. a friendly 'hello') I reply likewise, but if it is dumb: 'you,you,you..'; 'hey youuuuuu', or nasty: 'go back'; 'f... you', etc., I either keep walking or reply in a similar way (depending on situation). :)

My favorite has become with taxi and tuk tuk drivers who think farang are too dumb to ask for their service. Yelling: "Hey you you you." Me yelling back: "Hey you you you." "You want taxi?" Reply: "You want taxi?" I parrot them and they get soooooo confused and finally walk away.

Edited by phetaroi

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually smile and keep walking or say "Hello" back and keep walking ?

A good approach. :D

A few years back I too was also greeted by a 5 year old.

All he knew was "<deleted> you"

I had a quiet word with his father.

Now at 9 his English has improved. :D

I assume he is now able to articulate a full sentence such as "<deleted> you, you A@@hole Farang, get out of my country!! :)

Even on my early morning fitness runs. I pass a place where there are always a bunch of old ladies sitting on a small platform in front of their homes. I make a big show of wiping my sweaty hands on my towel, and then proceed to shake each one's hand with great enthusiasm accompanied by "Yeah, awright, whoo", then continue on my run immediately. They love it and now look forward to when I come by. Parents also love it when I stop to shake the hand of their young one. If the young one is shy, I will shake hands with the mother to demonstrate....They love it!

:)

<deleted>. Please don't do this as it throws a bad light on all of us. You may think the miles suggest that 'they love it' but it is more than likely a cover for their embarrassment.

Even on my early morning fitness runs. I pass a place where there are always a bunch of old ladies sitting on a small platform in front of their homes. I make a big show of wiping my sweaty hands on my towel, and then proceed to shake each one's hand with great enthusiasm accompanied by "Yeah, awright, whoo", then continue on my run immediately. They love it and now look forward to when I come by. Parents also love it when I stop to shake the hand of their young one. If the young one is shy, I will shake hands with the mother to demonstrate....They love it!

:)

<deleted>. Please don't do this as it throws a bad light on all of us. You may think the miles suggest that 'they love it' but it is more than likely a cover for their embarrassment.

They think that you are Mr Dick, instead of Mr Dirk! :D

First off, I have never been insulted by any Thai in Thailand. Most have been very friendly and respectful. Certainly I've had some funny talks with some gals in Pattaya when neither of us knew enough of each other's language to hold a good discussion. But, we just laughed at our differences and tried to help each other. I guess I just walk around with rose coloured glasses all the time.

However, I HAVE heard a lot of obnoxious comments by farangs from the US, Australia and the UK. Many times I've seen Americans treating working Thais and bar girls with disrespect. Oddly enough, I haven't heard Canadians do the same thing. Maybe it's just that there aren't that many of us in Thailand that I haven't seen it happen. I'm embarrassed when I hear farangs treating Thais with disrespect.

Even with the "you, you, you" which I have encountered occasionally, I still treat it as a friendly greeting. It is someone sincerely wanting to 'connect' with a Farang,

Sincerely connect with your wallet that is. 'You, YOU, YOU!' seems to be followed by ' Want Massage?'

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it's next to non-existent. ...
I mean Austria and Australia are both in North America, right?

FWIW Australia is its own country, as well being its own continent, and is located in the "Southern Hemisphere" of the world (that means the bottom half). Austria is its own country, but is in the continent called Europe, which is located in the "Northern Hemisphere". Sadly neither is located in "North America".. Nice amusing try though. I know stuff like this is difficult for someone whose out there 'glad-handing' the thais day in day out.

In my opinion, especially given the hygiene I see most thais exhibit here; I wouldn't EVER shake hands with any one whether I knew them or not. I rarely even acknowledge thais that I see on a daily basis with anything more than a slight head nod, no matter what language they address me in.

I just don't have time to be the foreign good will ambassador to these people. Good to know you seem to have shouldered the good will ambassaors role instead. Keep up the great work, as you say, "the thais love it...", or at least you think they do.

Somebody has no sense of humour.

Somebody thinks I was serious with the Austria/Australia/NA comment.

Somebody is a curmudgeonly Farang.

Somebody is an unfriendly guest in the home of his host.

Somebody is maybe a nerd.

Somebody needs to lighten up.

Somebody is remarkably irritating.

i am becoming increasingly certain i dont like you. shouldn't you be running or something?

Your grasp of geography concerning the world is about as good as that of the indigenous natives residing here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais", which is to say it's next to non-existent. ...

FWIW Australia is its own country, as well being its own continent, and is located in the "Southern Hemisphere" of the world (that means the bottom half). Austria is its own country, but is in the continent called Europe, which is located in the "Northern Hemisphere". Sadly neither is located in "North America".. Nice amusing try though. I know stuff like this is difficult for someone whose out there 'glad-handing' the thais day in day out.

In my opinion, especially given the hygiene I see most thais exhibit here; I wouldn't EVER shake hands with any one whether I knew them or not. I rarely even acknowledge thais that I see on a daily basis with anything more than a slight head nod, no matter what language they address me in.

I just don't have time to be the foreign good will ambassador to these people. Good to know you seem to have shouldered the good will ambassaors role instead. Keep up the great work, as you say, "the thais love it...", or at least you think they do.

Re the hygiene thing my experience has been the opposite. Never met a group people who spend so much time in the shower (at least my wife) and unlike any farang I met, even brush their teeth after lunch. Perhaps it is they who is happy you greet them with only a nod Todd. :)

Thanks you took the words right out of my mouth. Thais are some of the cleanest people I have ever seen. Luckily for them they don't have to feel ablidged to shake hands with something like that.

Oh my gosh... I have to agree with the others, I really wouldn't do this to them. LoL Just because they laugh doesn't mean they love it.

Anyway, since this now seems to have degenerated into the usual Thai bashing/ westerner bashing/ other member bashing thread. Lets drop the nastiness and try to inject some lighthearted humor back into this thread shall we?

Anyway, since this now seems to have degenerated into the usual Thai bashing/ westerner bashing/ other member bashing thread. Lets drop the nastiness and try to inject some lighthearted humor back into this thread shall we?

LIGHTHEARTED???

OK

If a katoy says hello to me i answer back in a deeper voice and say ow at mate,offer him a free shave and shake his hand,just lads together.

Sorry. I didn't realize it was supposed to be funny.

So, anyway, funny things Thai people have said.

Our cook's daughter is an adorable 5 year old and learning english. We were practicing body parts, I would say them in Thai and she would say them in English. We did head, eye, nose etc etc. Until I ran out of parts to say. So she said, in english, "asshol_e". And I asked her, "what was that?" and she said it again, "asshol_e". I looked at her with a straight face and said, "No, I don't know that one". So, she used the word for bum in Thai. Again, I said, "nope, don't know that one". Then said to her mother later that if that was what her teacher was teaching her she needed to have a serious talk with the woman!

Our cook's daughter is an adorable 5 year old and learning english. We were practicing body parts, I would say them in Thai and she would say them in English. We did head, eye, nose etc etc. Until I ran out of parts to say. So she said, in english, "asshol_e". And I asked her, "what was that?" and she said it again, "asshol_e". I looked at her with a straight face and said, "No, I don't know that one". So, she used the word for bum in Thai. Again, I said, "nope, don't know that one". Then said to her mother later that if that was what her teacher was teaching her she needed to have a serious talk with the woman!

Thats very funny

sorry about getting on my high horse,you did say you wanted some humour though,and sometimes i feel like i am 1 minute from a banning and not realy enjoying responding to posts,it actualy feels like a robot is getting back to me and not a human being,and its not just you SBK,as you have been quite fair to me except that reply lol.

@ pantip i always get the "SIR, SIR, CD DVD GAME" i look@ the guy so pleased that he has spoekn english to me ..and that i actually acknowledged that he exists and i laugh... "I'm MISS not SIR" then smile

i love it how thai people love to use to word "either" instead of "too" my friend replied to my txt "Don't worry your boyfriend won't be alone, my brother is coming either" so kute ;P

Edited by ihunnieibee

Wel you're just a great big bundle of love and cuddles ain't ya?

you don't have time to say hello to anyone and wouldn't touch them if you did because they're all dirty?

'these people'???? I'm assuming you're to be found in an exclusive and unpopular gentlemans club with antelopes heads adorning the walls wearing a pith helmet sipping bombay gin and tonic after a hard day rushing around ignoring 'these people' or are you recovering from the personality bypass operation?

The subject is certainly interesting enough to have a sensible conversation.

Maybe I should be ashamed to admit I always completely ignore Thai people unknown to me calling out "hello" when they see me.

Once I was with a group of Thai people at a big market in the middle of nowhere, somebody hello'ed me, and I gave him the usual non-treatment. Later he approached one of the Thai man in our group, and asked him if I was a farang at all (although I am tall and blond haired), because I didn't reply his hello. The guy said yes, he is a farang, but he is just not interested if people call out hello to him, it happens everywhere continuously.

Obviously the man thought farangs like it if people hello them, and no doubt many Thai people think like him.

I certainly was a bit ashamed when after ignoring a hello, the person walked up to me, and explained me in Thai that I knew him. Don't wanna be perceived as arrogant, but oh well, in the area where I live people who know me almost invariably greet me in Thai, and then I certainly respond, also when I don't remember who the person is.

First off, I have never been insulted by any Thai in Thailand. Most have been very friendly and respectful. Certainly I've had some funny talks with some gals in Pattaya when neither of us knew enough of each other's language to hold a good discussion. But, we just laughed at our differences and tried to help each other. I guess I just walk around with rose coloured glasses all the time.

However, I HAVE heard a lot of obnoxious comments by farangs from the US, Australia and the UK. Many times I've seen Americans treating working Thais and bar girls with disrespect. Oddly enough, I haven't heard Canadians do the same thing. Maybe it's just that there aren't that many of us in Thailand that I haven't seen it happen. I'm embarrassed when I hear farangs treating Thais with disrespect.

I completely agree, I don't care where it is in the world I hate anyone badmouthing someone because they think they're superior to them, maybe because they're in a 'customer/client' situation. I think the Americans can be the worst but my fellow Englishmen can be obnoxious too. They are here so why would they change in Thailand?

I completely agree, I don't care where it is in the world I hate anyone badmouthing someone because they think they're superior to them, maybe because they're in a 'customer/client' situation. I think the septics can be the worst but my fellow Englishmen can be obnoxious too. They are here so why would they change in Thailand?

Totaly agree too,i cringe when i here some idiot trying to talk in pidgeon english and shouting at the thai,because he cant speak thai

Why oh why dont some people have a nice attitude in thailand and get on with a good life.

Please don't do that again, I always feel slightly retarded sitting here laughing at my computer screen :)

Not a hello response but funny nonetheless…

After collecting her car from the restaurant valet parking, an ex Thai Girl Friend told me that she’d been informed by the valet parking attendant that there was some ‘semen’ on the side of her car.

She told me that the valet park was near a construction site. I was astounded – workmen knocking one off on the 20th floor of a condo construction and managing to fire it as far as her car in the car park below.

When I visited her the next morning I saw ‘cement’ that had splashed up the side of her car !

-------

Regarding the Hello's... It depends on the tone, sometimes it comes across as slightly aggressive so I ignore it, otherwise a nod and a smile and maybe a hi...

Sincerely connect with your wallet that is. 'You, YOU, YOU!' seems to be followed by ' Want Massage?'

Usually offered by a big bloke (e.g. in front of the Landmark), at whom I then look in surprise, telling him 'From you? No, sorry I'm not gay..', resulting in him looking puzzled and confused. :)

It's my family's fault, raising me to be polite and not call the English "Shittish."

Same in Nicaragua, Mexico, etc. - always greeting passing strangers with "Hola." Or Texans with "Howdy." :)

Now, living in a Chinese-Thai village, I exchange greetings with neighbors. Locals in Mexico and Thailand have used the F- word with the M-word, including the nearly-naked Mexican whore who jumped into my pool. I told her my mother died when I was six y.o., and I asked God to bless the whore.

It is VERY important to keep an open mind and remain flexible when in such situations.

For example:

When greeted by a 'sawadee krup' I generally reply with 'wadee krup etc'

When greeted by 'hey farang, you want tuk tuk' (outside robinsons suk soi 19), I generally reply 'hey you kwai, I no need your fu_ing tuk tuk, thanks'