Why Can't Farangs Pronounce Pattaya?

stevehaigh

But just to defend the Thai's a little bit and slip into my devil's advocate toggles...the "English" language (not referring to Ame)

can be equally and more confusing for the Thai learning our language. Cheque....Knife.....circuit.... etc etc must be

confusingly difficult to master and comprehend.

We often don't realise how f***** up English really is.

Here's a current one to consider. There's a movie called "Sorority Row" playing right now in the cinemas.

Is this "Row" pronounced "rau" as in quarrel, or "ro" as in objects place in a straight line. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I think it is "rau" in this case.

It's pretty messed up when words spelt identically are pronounced differently.

I'm know there are many more good examples like this, but we just don't focus on the absurdity of it all.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do almost all farangs insist on saying pa-THAI-ya when all they have to do is listen to any Thai or read the spelling in Thai. it's พัทยา phat tha yaa.

Possibly the same reason you use the word farang rather than Foreigner :)

why do almost all farangs insist on saying pa-THAI-ya when all they have to do is listen to any Thai or read the spelling in Thai. it's พัทยา phat tha yaa.

Im a farang and i can say PHAT THA YAA :)

123rd post on the most boring thread that i've ever come accross on T.V

Im a farang and i can say PHAT THA YAA :)

123rd post on the most boring thread that i've ever come accross on T.V

If you think this is one of the most boring threads you've ever read, you haven't read many. This is one of the more interesting threads.

I find it strange how travel agents ( and travel show hosts ) mutilate Phuket.

and just for fun, get an english speaking thai person to say the authors name Ray Bradbury.

if it comes out lay bladbaly, repeat back to them what they said and have them repeat it back to you, usually it comes out correct when they try to repeat what they hear you say ( lay bladbaly)

WHO CARES?????? That's like asking why you can't understand what someone with a very heavy British accent is saying.... Stuff happens....

Half of the problem (I believe) is related to the idiotic way that English is written in Thailand. The road signs being a classic example. The only reason that I can possibly think of why Thai names are Anglicised in their current form, was because the person who did the "spelling" was;

a] not a Native English speaker or,

b] trying to cater for all non-native versions of English or,

c] both a] & c].

If spelt by "sound", Phuket becomes Pooket, Poocet, Poohket, Poohcet, Poohkett, Poocket, Poohcket or Poohcett. Pattaya becomes Puttayah or Puttayar.

The problem arises because English has 12 different ways of pronouncing the 5 vowels, unlike Spanish (for example), which only has 5 ways to pronounce the 5 vowels.

Edited by elkangorito