Composting

Bluebell

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that you can take your garden rubbish, i.e. grass cuttings, leaves, tree branches etc. in Samui? Don't really want to have to drive around looking for an appropriate dumping ground in the jungle (even knowing it will biodegrade no problem) or have to burn it.

Are there any smallholdings that make their own mulch/compost who would accept it?

Appreciate any info

:)

Does anyone know if there is anywhere that you can take your garden rubbish, i.e. grass cuttings, leaves, tree branches etc. in Samui? Don't really want to have to drive around looking for an appropriate dumping ground in the jungle (even knowing it will biodegrade no problem) or have to burn it.

Are there any smallholdings that make their own mulch/compost who would accept it?

Appreciate any info

Hi Bluebell...

I have thought about your question all day!

I've concluded, I have yet to see the Thai's compost anything, sadly! On the burn pile it all goes... (unless the pigs will eat it, which my neighbours pigs do, with coconuts (not the husk) to any part of a banana plant & a few other things!)

Off course the locals do not have lawns, just not a "Thai" thing generally.... I assume you have a lawn mower with a bag? Back in the "west" I would use a mulching blade, and leave the clippings on the lawn... good for the lawn!

I am not sure they have "mulching blades" here ? I use a weed eater to cut my small bit of grass.... the clippings disappear pretty fast.

Grass clippings are the best if you where compost, your own stuff.... layer the leaves & grass, in a compost bin (easy to make) I think it would compost very quickly in this climate ..... Have you considered doing that?

The soils here sure could use some "organic matter" .. worked into the soil to help moisture retention during the dry season... plants would thrive & use less water too!

Branches & stuff like that is a bit more difficult of course... But I did see a poster, Roo (the head moderator I think) here, looking for a grinding or chipper machine... not sure how big they are here.... hard to get on the island perhaps ..., but perhaps if you are in a Gated Community, perhaps a combined effort on buying one? Probably available by ordering from the mainland.

Well that's my thoughts!... now back to my own garden! :D

It would be a great idea if all the coconut husks were chipped up & sold for mulch, instead of it all being burned, but that's a different topic!

Appreciate any info

you can always compost it yourself in a rubbish bin using the EM stuff. look in the farming forums for more info about the wonder composting stuff with EM, effective micro-organisms

Appreciate any info

you can always compost it yourself in a rubbish bin using the EM stuff. look in the farming forums for more info about the wonder composting stuff with EM, effective micro-organisms

Composting

Good articles.