Do You Have Problems With Return Of Bond?

taxi99

I'm looking at renting accom for a month in Oct.

They all seem to want an extra months rent as bond.

I'm not too happy to pay it, as I've found in LOS that rules don't apply to falangs and I fly out of CM internationally and don't want a heap of baht on me or lose in converting it.

So are bonds negoitable? I'm happy to prepay elec and water.

1 month bond isn't bad and most places will return your bond without fuss. However, that big block of apartments near Kad Suan Kaew (can't remember the name at the moment) have caused problems for foreigners trying to obtain a return of their bond. There are posts on the board somewhere.

Also to cover yourself when you leave, don't tell them you are getting on a flight in a few hours, as it's tempting for the more unscrupulous landlord to 'go missing' for those few hours.

I'm not too happy to pay it, as I've found in LOS that rules don't apply to falangs and I fly out of CM internationally and don't want a heap of baht on me or lose in converting it.

Just one month?

In my experience 1 months rent deposit against damages is standard on a 1 year contract. 3 times i've got it back and once not. If i'd had the forthought to take pictures and an inventory when i moved in i could apparrently of gone to police and with a little thai help got my money back. Just making an inventory and getting them to sign it might be enough to put them off trying anything.

If just one month i wouldn't be happy about paying double basically. If you were to stay in a hotel or guest house for a month the price would only be marginally differrent and not require any deposit. If your talking about a furnished house then a deposit size would have to be fairly large just in case you trashed the place. If your renting a house i'd definately take photos and an inventory and get them to sign it. Open a thai bank account and pop the returned cash in it for your next trip. If you ask them to deposit it to your account then they also know you'll be back/around and won't let it slide, can badger them on the phone and check on-line if its gone in or not.

good luck

A month's bond is pretty standard on a short term rental. Why are you "not too happy" to pay it? It's not as if you are going to be renting a mansion with swimming pool. A heap of baht you say; what is a month's bond going to be worth? Possibly about 6,500 baht? :)

1 month bond isn't bad and most places will return your bond without fuss. However, that big block of apartments near Kad Suan Kaew (can't remember the name at the moment) have caused problems for foreigners trying to obtain a return of their bond. There are posts on the board somewhere.

Also to cover yourself when you leave, don't tell them you are getting on a flight in a few hours, as it's tempting for the more unscrupulous landlord to 'go missing' for those few hours.

Huay Kaew Residence is notorious for being reluctant to hand back deposits and there are several threads about them. A security deposit is the downside of renting an apartment for such a short time but you have to trade that off against the upside which is the value for money.

Huay Kaew Residence is notorious for being reluctant to hand back deposits and there are several threads about them. A security deposit is the downside of renting an apartment for such a short time but you have to trade that off against the upside which is the value for money.

I stayed there for about seven months when I first moved here. They were indeed very reluctant to return my two month's deposit. I moved out at 9:00 and it was not until around 16:00 that they agreed to return the money, and even then I didn't get it all back. I lost 3300 Baht on their creative accounting. An argument ensued. It was an unpleasant situation.

I stayed there for about seven months when I first moved here. They were indeed very reluctant to return my two month's deposit. I moved out at 9:00 and it was not until around 16:00 that they agreed to return the money, and even then I didn't get it all back. I lost 3300 Baht on their creative accounting. An argument ensued. It was an unpleasant situation.

This is where I would like to have some one like Jack Reacher standing beside me.

The proprietors of "Huay Kaew Residence" sound like utter scum to me, but am I surprised TIT :)

Just one month?

In my experience 1 months rent deposit against damages is standard on a 1 year contract. 3 times i've got it back and once not. If i'd had the forthought to take pictures and an inventory when i moved in i could apparrently of gone to police and with a little thai help got my money back. Just making an inventory and getting them to sign it might be enough to put them off trying anything.

If just one month i wouldn't be happy about paying double basically. If you were to stay in a hotel or guest house for a month the price would only be marginally differrent and not require any deposit. If your talking about a furnished house then a deposit size would have to be fairly large just in case you trashed the place. If your renting a house i'd definately take photos and an inventory and get them to sign it. Open a thai bank account and pop the returned cash in it for your next trip. If you ask them to deposit it to your account then they also know you'll be back/around and won't let it slide, can badger them on the phone and check on-line if its gone in or not.

good luck

He is looking for a condo as wants to save small money on paying a hotel or guesthouse monthly rate for 1 month which would be reasonable anyway. But condos have water and electric meters and cleaning charges, plus the insurance against possible damage. Usually owners aren't interested in short term as more trouble than it is worth, so he has done well to find some. If the tenant skips out then the owner is left to pay those bills, hence the bond. Can't see the problem if honest and not a miserable b*stard.