• Piggie's
    • Charlie's
    • Rose Guest House
    • UN Irish Pub
    • West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

I took UGs directions (post 20) and ended up at Pinkies. Memory not so good now :) . To my good fortune I met a stunner.

I hope the stunner is not Pinky's mother as she is already taken (She and her her husband own Pinkies). You would not be the first to appreciate her charms. :D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took UGs directions (post 20) and ended up at Pinkies. Memory not so good now :) . To my good fortune I met a stunner.

I hope the stunner is not Pinky's mother as she is already taken (She and her her husband own Pinkies). You would not be the first to appreciate her charms. :D

Bummer ! Why can't I be rich and handsome again? He must be a great guy to

win her. Actually it is her personality that I found attractive :D but I will be back for the food.

I got an invitation from a group that eats out at a different restaurant every Friday and they seemed most impressed with Mrs. Pinkie as they had eaten at Pinkies several weeks before and they kept mentioning her in the e-mail. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I got an invitation from a group that eats out at a different restaurant every Friday and they seemed most impressed with Mrs. Pinkie as they had eaten at Pinkies several weeks before and they kept mentioning her in the e-mail. :D

Can't blame them, for the rest of the ole tigers out there, its worth a brk, lunch or dinner to meet a real Thai beauty with a winning genuine personality. I was so befuddled I forgot to pay the bill! Came back quickly and paid then I forgot my pack, she had to remind me. I felt like I was back in high school, I was so stupid, I had blurred vision and a numb brain for a while. :)

Charlies for the atmospere and Charlies style..

10 or 20 baht does not come into the equation for me.

Piggy's normal fish meal is 120 baht and the cod meal is 175 . bloody good value ! you cant get a good fish supper cheaper in chiangmai! everyones watching there 10 and 20 baht's latley but this is more like 60-80 !

:)

The chicks at Piggy's are hot and the beer is ice cold, but Pun Pun serves THREE pieces of fish that looked great, a pile of chips and vegetables and salad. I can't remember the price, but nothing there is all that dear.

If you are really hungry for good food, don't forget to give them a try also. :)

The chicks at Piggy's are hot and the beer is ice cold, but Pun Pun serves THREE pieces of fish that looked great, a pile of chips and vegetables and salad. I can't remember the price, but nothing there is all that dear.

If you are really hungry for good food, don't forget to give them a try also. :)

will do, what time do they open pls ? :D

will do, what time do they open pls ? :D

Open at 6:30 - 7AM this gives you enough time to finish your meal

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

Totally agree with you here. Unfortunately the people who vote for Piggy's and others are not British (nothing wrong with that) it's just they do not understand what F & C should be.

Im British and know what I am talking bout as I used to own a chippie and Piggys is GREAT the best in CM in my opinion and the best value.

considering they have only been open a very short time they are doing fantastic in this poll

Edited by FarangCravings

Well, having read numerous comments in this thread about Pun Pun, I went there today to see for myself.

Well folks, for me it's a very easy decision... these were, without any doubt, the nicest and most 'traditional' fish & chips I've had in this country. I'd go further and say that there are quite a number of UK fish & chip establishments that could learn from this operation.

I know that the thread is about the "best tasting" F&C but I cannot fail to let it be known that the welcome and friendly atmosphere I found in Pun Pun leaves everything else in the shade. I hope no-one narks at me for straying slightly off-topic but I regard these things as important too, because they are integral with the overall experience of enjoying a meal.... and I surely did!

Im British and know what I am talking bout as I used to own a chippie and Piggys is GREAT the best in CM in my opinion and the best value.

considering they have only been open a very short time they are doing fantastic in this poll

The fact that you owned a chippie is interesting, but it doesn't make your taste-buds any better than ours.

In my experience, the Fish n Chips in a lot of chippies in England were terrible. I had some the last time I was there. We did a nice barge trip along the Bridgewater Canal and moored up at Lymm to get a nice Fish n Chips take-away. The fish was okay, but the batter was too oily, and the chips were soggy. My thought was that if all you're selling is Fish n Chips it shouldn't be too difficult to get it right. Get the fish right and sort out the chips and you're away. Apparently, that was too much for some of them. Not cheap either.

The fact that you owned a chippie is interesting, but it doesn't make your taste-buds any better than ours.

In my experience, the Fish n Chips in a lot of chippies in England were terrible. I had some the last time I was there. We did a nice barge trip along the Bridgewater Canal and moored up at Lymm to get a nice Fish n Chips take-away. The fish was okay, but the batter was too oily, and the chips were soggy. My thought was that if all you're selling is Fish n Chips it shouldn't be too difficult to get it right. Get the fish right and sort out the chips and you're away. Apparently, that was too much for some of them. Not cheap either.

OK - this is way off topic and I'm sure the great and the good of these hallowed fora will "pull me" for it.. but I think that Fish & Chips in Britain took a dive in the 'pleasure ratings' when we were forced (by E.C. ruling) to eat them out of a polystyrene box. Maybe I'm growing old and cynical, but they did seem to taste better out of newspaper. Anyone agree with that?

Pubs dont pretend to be chippies.

As far as chippies go, piggys outperforms because she uses a good "beer" batter, you can taste the difference from other chippies. The price is more reasonable though the portion sizes are going down a bit. But all businesses do that after they get started.

My vote would be for piggys

Pubs and restaurants most definitely aren't chippies. Never a truer word spoken!!

So as you quite rightly said, if you remove all the non-chippies out of the debate, compared to the rest, Piggy's outperforms them all. My vote would be for Piggy's.

As regards to the diminishing portion sizes - sound business practice! Standard procedure. Couldn't agree with you more.

I'd be hard pushed to think of a business that doesn't reduce portions over time. I always say that you can judge how long a business has been open by how big the portions are.

Big portions?- beginners, won't last with huge portions like that!

Tiny portions? - well established - there for the long run.

The opposite is true of Nouveau Cuisine, of course. They start off tiny and get bigger as time goes by. Never did figure that one out. :)

No sign of small portions at the Pun Pun guys... it's the full Monty!

Ive been in all of these establishments and as far as fish and chips goes piggy's can't be beaten. as far as i know they have only been open a month or so. maybe someone else will win this poll because they have been in business for years but for price and quality piggy's is best!!!

maybe charlie's should lower his normal fish meal to 110 baht????

yeahhhhhh price war!!!!!

:)

I have voted for quality and it has charlies anyone who votes otherwise need their taste buds tested

All these have been mentioned. Don't consider price. Which tastes best?

I hope this thread remains light-hearted, as the poll is hardly scientific!

Without the option for "Other" and then provision of a blank field to fill in a venue, it puts me in mind of being asked the question "Have you stopped beating your wife? - Answer Yes or No". :D

I see good feedback on Piggys and am looking forward to trying it.

Rgds

P.S. Have never beaten a wife, more like the other way round :)

do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket

All these have been mentioned. Don't consider price. Which tastes best?

I hope this thread remains light-hearted, as the poll is hardly scientific!

Without the option for "Other" and then provision of a blank field to fill in a venue, it puts me in mind of being asked the question "Have you stopped beating your wife? - Answer Yes or No". :D

I see good feedback on Piggys and am looking forward to trying it.

Rgds

P.S. Have never beaten a wife, more like the other way round :D

do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket

Uh....let's see, 3 posts total and all of them plugging Charlies. Hmmm...don't have to be a scholar to figure out what's going on here... :)

I'm not supporting either store (I'm a Rose Cafe guy), but, I found it a little strange that after a week or so, Charlie's suddenly lept from something like 4 points behind to 6 posts ahead in one day after being pretty consistant. These polls can be so unpredictable! :)

I'm not supporting either store (I'm a Rose Cafe guy), but, I found it a little strange that after a week or so, Charlie's suddenly lept from something like 4 points behind to 6 posts ahead in one day after being pretty consistant. These polls can be so unpredictable! :)

Rate Sheet

Members of Parliment or Senate VBR = 300B

Mayor of CM VBR = 1,000 B

CM's Best F & C Poll VBR = ___?___B

:D

I can honestly say that the Cod and chips we had at Piggys yesterday were the worst fish and chips we have ever had.The cod was not very big and half of it was the batter from yesterday as the staff were too lazy to make any fresh batter.We did arrive there at about 7.30 and both the staff were asleep. I will not be going back there,I have yet to try Charlies but I will try it sometime.In a few days time we will be back in the U.K. and one of the first meals we will be having is Jumbo haddock and chips.I will vote with my feet.

keithkarmann

Had dinner at Charlies last night. Definately the best taste.. and my taste buds are well located in my mouth.

He wasnt aware of thepoll untill a coupleof days ago ( wonder why ??) so that may account for the boost in votes, once his cutomers were aware it was on,, they voted ..

Piggy's - no where near the taste..

Pun Pun,, drove past last nite also.. no cutomers.. but yet to try..(dont like empty places...tells me something )

Charlies for me all the way :)

Pun Pun,, drove past last nite also.. no cutomers.. but yet to try..(dont like empty places...tells me something )

Pun Pun is empty only because it it really is in the middle of nowhere and is part of a guesthouse which is the main business. I had heard how good it was for many years before I ventured over there.

It really is good home cooked food in manly portions. If it was anywhere near Thapae Gate it would be full most of the time! :)

Pun Pun is empty only because it it really is in the middle of nowhere and is part of a guesthouse which is the main business. I had heard how good it was for many years before I ventured over there.

It really is good home cooked food in manly portions. If it was anywhere near Thapae Gate it would be full most of the time! :)

Full , Full you say...... why as a matter of fact I am full......just finished an open faced turkey sandwich on 2 slices of homemade rye bread..... with a layer of stuffing and mashed potatos all covered with the juciest, most delicious gravy I can imagne....must say I couldn't quite finish it but I had a little help....

bbbuuurrrppppp

Yes full now....but tomorrow just a little after noon F & C time

........and how was your supper gang?