• Piggie's
    • Charlie's
    • Rose Guest House
    • UN Irish Pub
    • West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

OK well before this thread is closed I will just rush in with a quick review of Piggy's.

I tried the cheaper fish (not the cod) and chips plus an icy Heineken. The fish was moist and flaky and not a single bone to be found. No complaints there at all. I like the batter thicker and crunchier but I can live without.

The chips were hot but a bit soggy - but still nicer than most chips you get in Thailand -> Mike's Burgers chips are better. There was tartare sauce of sorts which certainly gets them a tick. Normally this has capers (grey/green bits) but this sauce had orange bits so I'm not sure about the deal there. Anyway certainly palatable. Staff friendly/welcoming.

Verdict=Would go again for the fish

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK well before this thread is closed ...............................................................

In closing I might add, that after speaking to a couple of the owners of the establishments listed here, all they have is praise for the whole poll, as their business has benefitted from it. If it generates new custom, it can't be all bad :)

OK well before this thread is closed I will just rush in with a quick review of Piggy's.

I tried the cheaper fish (not the cod) and chips plus an icy Heineken. The fish was moist and flaky and not a single bone to be found. No complaints there at all. I like the batter thicker and crunchier but I can live without.

The chips were hot but a bit soggy - but still nicer than most chips you get in Thailand -> Mike's Burgers chips are better. There was tartare sauce of sorts which certainly gets them a tick. Normally this has capers (grey/green bits) but this sauce had orange bits so I'm not sure about the deal there. Anyway certainly palatable. Staff friendly/welcoming.

Verdict=Would go again for the fish

My god this thread is still going??? hahaha just wanted to say that the chips in piggy's are the best ive had anywhere! so i dont know how anyone can say mikes are better as he sells french fries.

piggy's is the best in my opinion but everyone likes different tastes!

I wonder how much longer this thread will run!

what's next? the best ice cream shop please hehehe :D:D:)

I've come to this topic after a couple of weeks absence from TV can someone summarise the 9 pages for me :)

I see Charlies is wining hands down but is this because of it's longevity rather than taste?

I always thought that Charlie did good F&C's but would be interested in trying Piggies.

Is Piggy's cheating by having hot chicks in mini skirts and cute hats serving the food? The other places can not compare.

now you're talking

The only reason I go to Swensens is to ogle the waitresses

How do they find such cute staff and manage to convince them to wear those uniforms?

How much do you think Swensens/Piggy's pays them per month? I would offer them the same to hang around my house wearing their uniform picking up things from tables.

snakehead

Is Piggy's cheating by having hot chicks in mini skirts and cute hats serving the food? The other places can not compare.

now you're talking

The only reason I go to Swensens is to ogle the waitresses

How do they find such cute staff and manage to convince them to wear those uniforms?

How much do you think Swensens/Piggy's pays them per month? I would offer them the same to hang around my house wearing their uniform picking up things from tables.

snakehead

I would offer 20 baht more, but make it the " Floor "

:)

OK well before this thread is closed ...............................................................

In closing I might add, that after speaking to a couple of the owners of the establishments listed here, all they have is praise for the whole poll, as their business has benefitted from it. If it generates new custom, it can't be all bad :)

One poster accused me of starting these threads to damage other people's businesses, but that is the exact opposite of my intention. I want to draw attention to them so that they will get more customers. I like restaurants and I want the good ones to succeed.

Last night I tried the UN Irish Pub's fish and chips because of one person's recomendation and next I have to try West, Charlies and Pun Pun.

We all know that this is not a scientific poll and taste is subjective anyway, so not only the poll "leader" benefits from publicity. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I said a few weeks ago when I tried Piggy's F&C....they were 'OK'.

I tried them again and I think they have gone downhill with both quality and portion size and I see very little reason to ever go there again.

However, as I also said previously - I can't name any one place in Chiangmai that I would go out of my way for to eat F&C. The ones which scored high in the poll are mediocre at best and the others........ :)

I tried them again and I think they have gone downhill with both quality and portion size and I see very little reason to ever go there again.

However, as I also said previously - I can't name any one place in Chiangmai that I would go out of my way for to eat F&C. The ones which scored high in the poll are mediocre at best and the others........ :)

Uptheos, your last few words may leave some with the implication of wanting to say to you Up-the-os, with it , Greek I believe.

:D

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Uptheos, your last few words may leave some with the implication of wanting to say to you Up-the-os, with it , Greek I believe.

I understand what you are saying and IMHO there are no 'quality' F&C places in Chiangmai. :D

Just for the record, I'd like to say my title has nothing whatsoever to do with what you infer and is definately not Greek. (Not even 'Greek services') :D

I wonder whether this ploy might also work for other businesses, second-hand book-stores, and the like ? :D

maybe :)

3000110-r1-010-3a.jpg

If you are sitting in a restaurant, you pretty much have to buy something, but in a book store they just ask stupid questions and hang around leering at the object of desire.

I had a very pretty boy working for me and every latent homosexual in the area used to come in and chat him up on a regular basis and never buy a book. :)

I wonder whether this ploy might also work for other businesses, second-hand book-stores, and the like ? :D

maybe :)

3000110-r1-010-3a.jpg

oooohhh I've got lookers cramp ....

UG .... re your pretty boy.....they pay ex presidents thousands of dollars for saying a few words..... sell 15 minute bloks of time for your latent group to come and have a interview with your commodity.... time share him

Can anybody post the price of a kilo of cod....???? ... and I would guess its frozen ??

Edited by Gonzo the Face

If you are sitting in a restaurant, you pretty much have to buy something, but in a book store they just ask stupid questions and hang around leering at the object of desire.

I had a very pretty boy working for me and every latent homosexual in the area used to come in and chat him up on a regular basis and never buy a book. :)

Glad I`m not in business.

much rather be a full time slob.

Edited by sassienie

maybe :D

3000110-r1-010-3a.jpg

If that were the case then Ulysses would need high ceilings with a longer ladder for the girl to climb up on. :)

Attractive staff makes EVERY business more enjoyable. It works in bars, restaurants and even offices.

A coffee shop I've been going to for 25 years have a few nice waitresses I've grown friendly with. I've seen them change from lovely teenage gals to mature women now in their fourties. I still go there because of the friendly staff.

There was a lovely Thai gal who had a small book store not far from the Thai Pei gate. I used to go there just to chat, even though she had a nice farang boyfriend. She has since closed the book store and now has a small eatery somewhere in Chiang Mai.

maybe :D

3000110-r1-010-3a.jpg

If that were the case then Ulysses would need high ceilings with a longer ladder for the girl to climb up on. :)

Attractive staff makes EVERY business more enjoyable. It works in bars, restaurants and even offices.

A coffee shop I've been going to for 25 years have a few nice waitresses I've grown friendly with. I've seen them change from lovely teenage gals to mature women now in their fourties. I still go there because of the friendly staff.

There was a lovely Thai gal who had a small book store not far from the Thai Pei gate. I used to go there just to chat, even though she had a nice farang boyfriend. She has since closed the book store and now has a small eatery somewhere in Chiang Mai.

Selling Fish & Chips ???????

Add her to the poll if she is better looking than Charlie

:D:D

for the newbees in town, i.e. me, can you tell me where to find some of these, especially charlie's

thx steve

No idea about Charlie's but here's how to find Piggy's.

Driving towards Tapae Gate turn left into Chiang Moi (road leading to Worowat Market) and it's about twenty yards in on the right hand side.

Enjoy!

for the newbees in town, i.e. me, can you tell me where to find some of these, especially charlie's

thx steve

No idea about Charlie's but here's how to find Piggy's.

Driving towards Tapae Gate turn left into Chiang Moi (road leading to Worowat Market) and it's about twenty yards in on the right hand side.

Enjoy!

Krupnik, they are your friends,,,,, don't you think you could give better directions ?

Driving towards Thapae gate from where on what road...... going into the city on Thaepae Road towards Thapae gate ??? what.... You know where you mean, but your directions are not clear,,,,,,, maybe for an old timer here but not a newby...

I think you mean if you are driving south along the outside [east wall] of the moat , you would turn left onto Chiang Moi....

Yes

Edited by Gonzo the Face