Rain

gotlost

It's coming down and windy in Mae Hia now. Cooling down nicely.

Send it over SK way. All we've got is smoke from some nice rice farmer fella who's decided to have an evening burn off bah.gif

Wow, rain arrived faster than the fire brigade could biggrin.png

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

"All we've got is smoke from some nice rice farmer fella who's decided to have an evening burn off bah.gif "

First sounds of thunder now.

Being 22.5 K away......from you.....

No smell of burning rice other than what is being cooked up in the kitchen next door.

1918 the Japanese book:

"The Burning Of The Rice Fields" was published

Translation available on the net.

Edited by OldChinaHam

So is the consensus that the rainy season has arrived early this year? Or is something else going on and it will clear up for a little while and then resume in June? Seems to me the rainy season usually begins in June. Lately these afternoon rains for a couple of hours along with the heat are creating an uncomfortable humidity that makes it quite miserable in the evening. Every time I go out at night I feel all clammy within 30 minutes and after a while want to go back home and jump in the shower again! Last night around 19:30 I was driving on a dark, quiet road in Sansai and there was a very light drizzle. As the water hit the hot asphalt it created a steam that gave the effect of being in a horror movie or something. It was really weird.

I never thought that a bit of drizzling or occasional rains constitutes the start of raining season.

We're near the train station and haven't gotten much rain yet.

Friday evening, my wife and i observed some nice lightning behind or inside thick clouds but it never rained where we were.

There are plenty of nimbus clouds all over the place looking south over the runway. One is particularly dark on its underside but still not angry enough to really absolutely portend rain, but maybe. Still I will continue to watch it, and the rest of the sky from here is rather atypical with so many cumulonimbus, when normally at this time of day the sky is mostly just blue,. The clouds are very beautiful and reminds one of slowly moving floating mounds of the finest cotton from India.

I never thought that a bit of drizzling or occasional rains constitutes the start of raining season.

We're near the train station and haven't gotten much rain yet.

Friday evening, my wife and i observed some nice lightning behind or inside thick clouds but it never rained where we were.

Yes, it sure isn't like last year where the rainy season started with many heavy gully washers and long steady showers. Definitely a different kind of season this year.

Really strange this year with the hot spell continuing, even the locals are complaining about it!

TMD continue to show almost identical forecasts for the coming week (same last week) with thunder showers and a daily 40 per cent chance of rain. Every day the clouds gather,thunder rolls and then ---------- nothing!

I guess by having identical daily forecasts they are bound to be right eventually!

Still full on smokey burning season east side of the valley. Wake up to it, go to bed to it.

Wonder how many generations until folk here have evolved to breathe smokey air, & get sick from fresh air w00t.gif

My elderly friend, been here since 1960 used to keep his own 'Log' on the weather.

He says the local recent rain is just delayed "Mango Rains" and not the start of our 'Wet' season.

An average of 19 days with rain in May ( 4th wettest month on average?) does not fit that theory.

But then of course depends where the stats come from!

"My elderly friend, been here since 1960 used to keep his own 'Log' on the weather."....

If your friend says that soon it will be raining Mangos here in Chiang Mai, this is something I must see.

We've had raining fish where I come from.

Mango is my favorite fruit.

Looking 10 kilometers due south over the runway, and also SSE at about 15 kilometers, it is clearly visible.

The rain falling out of thunderheads forming feint dark bands

It would be nice to have a plane to fly

Or binoculars and a long focal length lens

And a digital camera so that more people here could see from my very good vantage point

The rain.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Looking 10 kilometers due south over the runway, and also SSE at about 15 kilometers, it is clearly visible.

The rain falling out of thunderheads forming feint dark bands

It would be nice to have a plane to fly

Or binoculars and a long focal length lens

And a digital camera so that more people here could see from my very good vantage point

The rain.

Ditto, for Today.

Same as yesterday, dark bands falling in the same areas except the SSE area is even darker and more active than yesterday.

Soon we will be getting reports.

Birds are still chirping here and plenty of sunshine.

But we will get wet.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Massive thunderstorm now invading SE Chiang Mai

Big drops falling with the sunshine still coming over the mountain

And through the rain trying to make a rainbow.

Curtains are now blowing like crazy.

I am expecting the elevator to stop as usual when this happens.

It is very beautiful to look out at the very dark sky on one side and then over at the sun shining down from the mountain and the brightly lit big orange tree just outside my window.

re

It is very beautiful to look out at the very dark sky on one side and then over at the sun shining down from the mountain

hes right : )

light pic taken at 3 30 .... rain pic at 4 30 : (

lighter pic with the forest fire on the right taken

5 mins ago

dave2

post-42592-0-42433300-1369822212_thumb.j

post-42592-0-28440100-1369822278_thumb.j

post-42592-0-09983100-1369822909_thumb.j

• Like 2

Pouring down now in Mae Hia about 1km south of BigC. Was standing on the balcony watching it and how nicely it was cooling down when a sudden shift of the wind, which is pretty strong, soaked me in about 2 seconds flat. dry.pngbiggrin.png

Pouring down now in Mae Hia about 1km south of BigC. Was standing on the balcony watching it and how nicely it was cooling down when a sudden shift of the wind, which is pretty strong, soaked me in about 2 seconds flat. <_<:D

Will it never stop! (-:

Pouring down now in Mae Hia about 1km south of BigC. Was standing on the balcony watching it and how nicely it was cooling down when a sudden shift of the wind, which is pretty strong, soaked me in about 2 seconds flat. dry.pngbiggrin.png

Will it never stop! (-:

Hey guys. Ever heard of sharing?

Here is poured down as well. But I can assure you it wasn't rain. Much more like salty water pouring down. :(