Kids With Thai And Oz Passport. Dual Nationality.

Our child born in THai has Thai and Australian passport. We want to go for holiday to Aust. It seems easy to me that at Thai airport, we use Thai passport to leave Thai and Aust passport to enter Aust. And opposite on return to THai.

Does anyone have experience in the same situation?

Our child born in THai has Thai and Australian passport. We want to go for holiday to Aust. It seems easy to me that at Thai airport, we use Thai passport to leave Thai and Aust passport to enter Aust. And opposite on return to THai.

Does anyone have experience in the same situation?

Yes,and you are correct.

NB :)

Correct - in fact it's illegal to enter Australia on any other passport if your Australian

Thai friend of mine with Oz passport once arrived in Bangkok from Sydney very late at night made the mistake of entering Thailand on Aussie passport - leaving a few months later had to pay overstay!

Thanks, Child doesnt have Aust visa, but I think the passport is proof to Thai immigration on exit that its not required.

Just dont wanna get to airport and have drama.

If you have a drama, let the rest of us know. All duals do the same thing, regardless of which other country is involved. So far, none that I am aware of has had a problem even though the Thai passport looks like you took off, flew in circles and then landed in Thailand again without going anywhere else.

Correct - in fact it's illegal to enter Australia on any other passport if your Australian

Thai friend of mine with Oz passport once arrived in Bangkok from Sydney very late at night made the mistake of entering Thailand on Aussie passport - leaving a few months later had to pay overstay!

It's not illegal. Just preferable to enter

on your Oz passport.

Regards

Will

Thanks, Child doesnt have Aust visa, but I think the passport is proof to Thai immigration on exit that its not required.

Just dont wanna get to airport and have drama.

In order to get the boarding pass, you need to show the Aussie passport and you have to show the Thai passport to the immigration officer.

Only once in Frankfurt, the German immigration officer asked me to show the Thai passport since there was no Thai visa in the other passport.

on your Oz passport.

Regards

Will

Pretty much the rule according the the Australian government....

"Australian citizens who hold dual or multiple nationalities must hold an Australian passport and use it to enter or leave Australia, even if they use a foreign passport overseas. The only exception is where they have been issued an Australian Declaratory Visa."

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/95documents.htm

Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV)

ADVs are issued in limited circumstances to Australian citizens who hold dual nationality. They are administrative documents that resemble a visa.

ADVs are issued only if the applicant is a dual national under the age of 18 or in an emergency or other situation preventing travel on an Australian passport.

An ADV is valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the holder ceases to be an Australian citizen, whereupon the holder will need a visa to travel to Australia.

Charges apply for this service.

on your Oz passport.

Regards

Will

"Australian citizens who hold dual or multiple nationalities must hold an Australian passport and use it to enter or leave Australia, even if they use a foreign passport overseas. The only exception is where they have been issued an Australian Declaratory Visa."

ADVs are issued in limited circumstances to Australian citizens who hold dual nationality. They are administrative documents that resemble a visa.

ADVs are issued only if the applicant is a dual national under the age of 18 or in an emergency or other situation preventing travel on an Australian passport.

An ADV is valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the holder ceases to be an Australian citizen, whereupon the holder will need a visa to travel to Australia.

And?

Like I stated it's not illegal,

just preferable.

An example being that you have 2 passports

and you lost your Australian one.

Regards

Will

on your Oz passport.

Regards

Will

And?

Like I stated it's not illegal,

just preferable.

An example being that you have 2 passports

and you lost your Australian one.

Regards

Will

and....not much.

Just pointing out what the government says on this. Would say, based on my reading, that it is slightly more than 'preferable', though as you state, not illegal. But it is the governments discretion if they give you an ADV, and if you are in the place to get an ADV, then you are probably in the position to get an emergency passport etc.

Will first trip to Australia was done in a hurry and Daughter had Thai passport not Australian - though she was obviously eligible.

When collecting the visa's for wife and daughter the staff told me one was refused.

I expected it must have been the wife - no - daughters!

They REFUSE to provide a visa to a person of dual citizenship in the non Australian passport (no visa needed for Aussie Passport)

Luckily we where able to get a Australian passport in time - 6 days.

So I would say Illegal :)

Try it and get turned back at border - not a good idea.

Will first trip to Australia was done in a hurry and Daughter had Thai passport not Australian - though she was obviously eligible.

When collecting the visa's for wife and daughter the staff told me one was refused.

They REFUSE to provide a visa to a person of dual citizenship in the non Australian passport (no visa needed for Aussie Passport)

G'day mate,

I'm telling you for a fact that it's not illegal.

Of couse the Embassy shouldn't issue a visa

to an Oz citz.

It happens quite a lot whereas Aussies

with 2 passports have scenerios where

they have lost misplaced or their Oz passports

have expired.

And an Australian citizen WILL not be turned back at

the border.

An example, an Oz citz gets to the airport at midnight

and realizes he has lost his passport. He has no funds

or time to get an emergency passport. If he has other

documentation he can still go to Oz (assuming the airlines

will take him) and of course he will be allowed to enter Australia.

Does happen.

Regards

Will

Yep,

researched it for my daughter who holds a Malay passport. Problem is she would instantly loose her malay nationality and passport if the malaysians got a whiff that she was australian ( and as such, have not had her made an Oz citizen yet ).

If you dont stand to loose your passport, as is the case in Thailand, not an issue, but for other nationalities its still and issue. Have thought long and hard, and there is no way to conceal ur Oz citizenship even with an ADV ( because, by definition , to get an ADV you need to be an oz citizen, and as such, the malay authorities in this case can even nail this one down).

My daughter would love to hold Ozzie, prefers ozzie, but cannot give up he malay nationality cause she would loose the right to live with her mum ( my ex).

As far as i have researched, the minute she receives the Oz Citizenship paper, she is no longer eligable for a Oz visa in her malaysia passport - complicting matters

Any tips welcome.

Edited by skippybangkok

"Yep,

researched it for my daughter who holds a Malay passport. Problem is she would instantly loose her malay nationality and passport if the malaysians got a whiff that she was australian ( and as such, have not had her made an Oz citizen yet ).

If you dont stand to loose your passport, as is the case in Thailand, not an issue, but for other nationalities its still and issue. Have thought long and hard, and there is no way to conceal ur Oz citizenship even with an ADV ( because, by definition , to get an ADV you need to be an oz citizen, and as such, the malay authorities in this case can even nail this one down).

My daughter would love to hold Ozzie, prefers ozzie, but cannot give up he malay nationality cause she would loose the right to live with her mum ( my ex).

As far as i have researched, the minute she receives the Oz Citizenship paper, she is no longer eligable for a Oz visa in her malaysia passport - complicting matters

Any tips welcome.

Correct, Oz citz not entitled to a visa.

How would the Malay authorities find out?

Just keep the 2 passports. The Malay authorities will just

process her Malay passport on arrival and departure. Then

use the Oz passport for entry and arrival into Oz.

Am I missing something here?

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Lots of countries are tightening up now where some of their citizens have two nationalities and are not permitted to. Malaysia and Indonesia are particularly tight. An ADV is an automatic red flag to Malaysian immigration. What you might get by with a few years ago is no longer a sure thing, and really never was for Malaysians. The other thing with ADV's is they are meant to be for emergencies. You might get away with getting one or two, but you will not be able to get away with having emergencies for 30 or 40 years.

You are right on the visa side, once you are a citizen no more visas, except ADV's when there is an emergency.

Most Malaysians will stay forever on RRV's in Australia and for travel to Malaysia because they really do have too much to lose as far as residency and property rights if they are found out. If a Malaysian national applies for passports in Australia, and more recently in Malaysia and they have been away and passports stamps indicate a long time in Australia it is not unusual for the Malaysian authorities (and Indonesian, and German, and Norwegian) to ask tthe person applying for a new passport to provide a Visa or Certificate of Residency from Australian Immigration before they will process any new passport application.

You are usually safe till 18 and then really must chose which way you are going, or just before 18 apply for the longest duration passport you can get.

There is no guaranteed way for Malaysians in particular to evade being found out. If they fill out the passport application with false information on dual nationality status and they are found out or suspected through stamps in passport and then asked to provide evidence of residence in Australia, the penalties can be quite severe.

There is too much to lose for any Malaysian to gamble with obtaining or maintaining dual nationality.

Edited by mamborobert

Lots of countries are tightening up now where some of their citizens have two nationalities and are not permitted to. Malaysia and Indonesia are particularly tight. An ADV is an automatic red flag to Malaysian immigration. What you might get by with a few years ago is no longer a sure thing, and really never was for Malaysians. The other thing with ADV's is they are meant to be for emergencies. You might get away with getting one or two, but you will not be able to get away with having emergencies for 30 or 40 years.

You are right on the visa side, once you are a citizen no more visas, except ADV's when there is an emergency.

Most Malaysians will stay forever on RRV's in Australia and for travel to Malaysia because they really do have too much to lose as far as residency and property rights if they are found out. If a Malaysian national applies for passports in Australia, and more recently in Malaysia and they have been away and passports stamps indicate a long time in Australia it is not unusual for the Malaysian authorities (and Indonesian, and German, and Norwegian) to ask tthe person applying for a new passport to provide a Visa or Certificate of Residency from Australian Immigration before they will process any new passport application.

You are usually safe till 18 and then really must chose which way you are going, or just before 18 apply for the longest duration passport you can get.

There is no guaranteed way for Malaysians in particular to evade being found out. If they fill out the passport application with false information on dual nationality status and they are found out or suspected through stamps in passport and then asked to provide evidence of residence in Australia, the penalties can be quite severe.

There is too much to lose for any Malaysian to gamble with obtaining or maintaining dual nationality.

Malaysia is very uncomfortable with the concept of dual nationality as a general rule (except it seems, with Thai-Malay dual citizens who seem to be able to cross the border each day!). I've read that Malaysia doesn't even recognise the concept of dual nationality....

I've nearly been refused entry into Malaysia for trying to swap from my Australian to Thai passport when crossing the causeway into Johor, and was only allowed in after I agreed to continue using my Australian one (swapped over to the Thai one when I reached Sadao).

There was a poster on TV who said that he was deported from Malaysia after being pulled over by police and was discovered to have both Australian and British Passports, which he was perfectly entilted to have under those countries laws.

Regards

Will

Cheers...... are per the above, it looks simple at the outset, but when u think about it in fine detail, its almost impossible to cover her tracks. If she was to i.e. study in Oz on a Oz passport, she would be away for quite some time, so the Malay immigration could simply enquire how it would be possible to live in oz on what visa. Following the trail of stamps would tell the story quickly that something is miss.

Have thought about it from every angle, and i dont think there would be anyway to conceal it. As such, not taking the risk ( for her ) till i can figure out a way ( if there is one).

An ADV ( funnily enough the embassy in Bangkok had never heard of and needed to consult Canberra ) would be a Red Light " I have Oz citizenship", so the only option would be a permanent residence (expensive, and tons of documentation )

Edited by skippybangkok

Regards

Will

Cheers...... are per the above, it looks simple at the outset, but when u think about it in fine detail, its almost impossible to cover her tracks. If she was to i.e. study in Oz on a Oz passport, she would be away for quite some time, so the Malay immigration could simply enquire how it would be possible to live in oz on what visa. Following the trail of stamps would tell the story quickly that something is miss.

Have thought about it from every angle, and i dont think there would be anyway to conceal it. As such, not taking the risk ( for her ) till i can figure out a way ( if there is one).

An ADV ( funnily enough the embassy in Bangkok had never heard of and needed to consult Canberra ) would be a Red Light " I have Oz citizenship", so the only option would be a permanent residence (expensive, and tons of documentation )

No probs.

But, IMHO, Malay Immigration would not be interested in the travel

movements of a Malay Citz. The would be looking at foreigners and

visa issues.

Same as DIAC in Oz. They don't really care or have to about

people travelling on legit Aussie Passports.

Regards

Will