My Head Lamp Burned Out Last Night

Lancelot

I'm ridding home two nights ago and my front head lamp burns out. No problem I switched to high beam and one minute later, it burns out too. OK, I'm 10 minutes from home, so I drive super defensively, keep my turn signal on, hoping oncomming traffic willl notice me and then it struck me-I noticed a t least five bikes and one car with no lights, all in 10 minutes! I had one Thai tell me once that he doesn't like to use his head light because "no good for bat." I do love to ride my little Honda CZ1, but man, it is actually quite dangerous...

Anyway, new bulb at the Mityon Honda Dealer on Sukumvit Rd just north of the Suk and Pattaya Tai intersection set me back a whopping 40 baht. (32/32 watt bulb) Man, u gotta love the prices here :) I really like the staff at that dealership, they are friendly, polite and they always teach me the Thai word for the repair or service I'm having done. FWIW, bulb is "lort" front light is "fai nah" and they seemed to undrestand me when I asked the to change the front lamp "plean lort fai nah, dai mai?" I always manage to screw up the tones and i had 'em laughing but alll in good fun :D

Oh, and the new Honda Scoopi - a Yahmaha Fino wana be- is on offer for 44,800. The Scoopi is Fi and can use Benzine 91, gasohol 91 & 95 and E20. Nice looking little scooter, but the under seat storage was almost non existant.

Here in Kunming, where Motor Cycles are mostly banned, the population ride electric scooters and they are everywhere and equally as fast and dangerous as Motor cycles. yet they are classified as bicycles and as such no licence or helmet is required. NOW at night it is unusual to see even one with head or tail lights on - why because they say it strains the battery - nightmare, the number of near misses I have had in my SUV is scary.

Here in Kunming, where Motor Cycles are mostly banned, the population ride electric scooters and they are everywhere and equally as fast and dangerous as Motor cycles. yet they are classified as bicycles and as such no licence or helmet is required. NOW at night it is unusual to see even one with head or tail lights on - why because they say it strains the battery - nightmare, the number of near misses I have had in my SUV is scary.

Yeah, that is scary.

By the way, how are you liking Kunming? I've been to China a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. GREAT food, if a little oily :)

I always get the local bike shop to adapt the indicators on my bikes so they are on with the headlight and flash when turning. Gives you that little bit more light showing at night :)

Funny you mention that because I was thinking about the exact same modification as an emergency type back up in case of a sudden bulb burn out. Anything that makes me more visible is a good thing :D