800 Rebuild Cont'd

ray23

Making progress

100_3826.jpg

New timing chain is in

100_3827.jpg

Has a small dent in the gas tank so that is being worked on. I didn't see it but the painter did. This a part of the process you can not rush if you want a good job. actually you just have to be patient through the process if you want good results.

Still waiting on chrome from Bangkok If I'm lucky it will be done this month

100_3828.jpg

Dark Blue with Gold pin stripping and the freedom patch center of the tank. Most of the prep work I did myself. The frame break down paint and reassembly 6K

No problem LL that will be a good buy when it comes.

Edited by ray23

Progress the blue is my bike parts are mine

100_3834.jpg

100_3835.jpg

The really do nice work this thing really looked great not mine. But, I good indicator of the final work product, probably at least another week.

100_3836.jpg

Did run into one problem the rear sprocket is a 42 couldn't find one so I settled for a 43 Hope I didn't make a mistake. I think I will loose a little speed but have better torque?

The pin striping has started now he has two pieces at his stage. This is why you can't rush a painter. This is very detailed work and it takes time.

Still don't have the chrome form Bangkok. but the Mechanic was sick to day so it may or may not be in.

I have also learned that has not been able to find a rear sprocket I need the rear sprocket 42 or 43 toothe. Anyone got some ideas let me know.

Japan is an alternative but that is really expensive.

800pinstriping.jpg

Edited by ray23

That would be the Japan Contact, they are around its just a matter of finding them. Thanks for all your input guys I will follow up What a great forum we have, we are lucky to be able to share input like this.

Thanks

Edited by ray23

Your mechanic should be able to order from Jomthai asahi (JT) .

These guys are the biggest manufacturer of sprockets in Thailand available in every shop pretty much.

The part numbers are:

Front JTF519.17

Rear JTR499.42

Chain 50/114

You really need to change the whole lot. Also have you thought about converting to belt drive like the new 900's

Or try Link Associates in BKK for JT sprockets and chains 0818085775.

They also do a wide range of cruiser kit mainly for HD but also others.

Allan

Busy Busy on the paint said it would be ready in two days I'm not holding breath

PinSrtiping1.jpg

Pinstriping2.jpg

Chromes finally back from Bangkok this is scary it's starting to look like a bike again. Won't be done in time for the wedding party. That to bad it's my wedding gift

Starti8ngtolooklikeabike.jpg

Chromesin1.jpg:)

• 2 weeks later...

Darn the bike is all in one place for the first time in a long time

MCPaint9.jpg

Pinstriping didn't get exactly what I wanted I wanted solid gold, this is close enough for government work. Now the serious reassembly starts

MCPaintjpg3.jpg

MCPaint4.jpg

MCPaint5.jpg

MCPaint6.jpg

MCPaint7.jpg

MCPaint8.jpg

MCPaint.jpg

MCPaint2.jpg

I dread such jobs and vowed "never again". The last one cost thousands of Euros.

Yeah but a good clean bike costs 1000's of euros too..

If you know its the bike you want, and your intending to keep that bike for a period of years to see the return on your investment, then it makes sense to me.

In fact I feel the customisation of bikes and making them exactly how YOU want is a big part of the appeal and process. Tho they do turn into a labour of love and consume time and money if you go that way.

Ya I had to do that with 750 Yamaha I did. But, I got three years out of it. Sold it to another guy who wanted to take it on. The third guy is trying now. It will be one of heck nice bike if he can pull it off. I had it close But, it got beyond my abilities.

Little bit by little bit it's coming together. It's funny both the painter and mechanic took some artistic license in this. But, I'm very happy with the results.

The mechanic is at a very pain staking stage now, the electrical to include the upgrades I wanted, such as emergency flashers. hard wired communications system and the GPS power unit.

I would never try this without a lot of confidence in the mechanic I would be working with. This is actually the third one one he has done for me. So far this is looking like the best one I have done.

BikeRebuild2.jpg

Bikerebuild.jpg

Where it started:

100_3540.jpg

100_3541.jpg

100_3542.jpg

100_3543.jpg

100_3544.jpg

p><p>This is where it gets scary all of

/800%20Vucan%20rebuild/100_3545.jpg' alt='100_3545.jpg'>

100_3577.jpg

100_3578.jpg

100_3579.jpg

100_3580.jpg

100_3581.jpg

100_3582.jpg

100_3583.jpg

100_3584.jpg

Well then the cleaning starts so far the wheels have been the toughest four days to do the front wheels, still have the back one to do looks even harder :cry:

100_3548.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3570.jpg

100_3598.jpg

100_3588.jpg

Somethings it was down to get the rust off and have new chrome put on. This rear sprocket gear was interesting really looked OK but in the final stages of cleaning found that four teeth were broken the grease and gunk had built up so much that they looked like normal teethe it was cleaned. So far the most expensive thing I'm looking at is twp new timing chains. No real surprise so far. I also replaced both tires with Michlens.

100_3539.jpg

100_3589.jpg