Electric Wiring

hi crossy, when you say that the earth wire is connected to an iron water pipe--does this pipe go underground?or is it within the flat?

in other words,is it the main water supply pipe coming into your flat?or is the main water supply pipe made of plastic?if it is ,then the connecting of an earth wire to any metal pipes within the flat would be usless and very dangerous

you must get an earth stake/rod and hammer it into the ground ,then use that as your main earthing point,(not so easy in a condo!)

but if the iron pipe you refer to is the main suppy pipe and goes underground with no plastic pipe joined in between, it is probably ok to use for earthing, as any fault current can be conducted away into the ground thus tripping the circuit breaker on the faulty circuit  cheers-- andy (approved electrician 16th ed )

Hi Andy

I'm not an approved electrician, but I do design rail traction power systems, you get very interesting grounding problems with 2MW consumption @25kV :D

Yes, the iron pipe goes all the way to the ground, it's certainly the best earth available (nowt else).

Next question, has anybody seen adaptors that mate properly (grounded) with the 16A Schuko plugs that we find on all the major appliances?? The local electricians just stuff them in the 2 pole outlets, no ground :o Washing machine bit the wife today, now has a separate ground wire to the iron pipe, I know, I should have done it before.

DC

hi crossy, when you say that the earth wire is connected to an iron water pipe--does this pipe go underground?or is it within the flat?

in other words,is it the main water supply pipe coming into your flat?or is the main water supply pipe made of plastic?if it is ,then the connecting of an earth wire to any metal pipes within the flat would be usless and very dangerous

you must get an earth stake/rod and hammer it into the ground ,then use that as your main earthing point,(not so easy in a condo!)

but if the iron pipe you refer to is the main suppy pipe and goes underground with no plastic pipe joined in between, it is probably ok to use for earthing, as any fault current can be conducted away into the ground thus tripping the circuit breaker on the faulty circuit  cheers-- andy (approved electrician 16th ed )

Hi Andy

I'm not an approved electrician, but I do design rail traction power systems, you get very interesting grounding problems with 2MW consumption @25kV :D

Yes, the iron pipe goes all the way to the ground, it's certainly the best earth available (nowt else).

Next question, has anybody seen adaptors that mate properly (grounded) with the 16A Schuko plugs that we find on all the major appliances?? The local electricians just stuff them in the 2 pole outlets, no ground :o Washing machine bit the wife today, now has a separate ground wire to the iron pipe, I know, I should have done it before.

DC

About 69 baht each in blister packs at Home Pro on Lat Phao Road last week. Have also bought in another type pack at Home Pro Ratchada in the past. They are white and cut out to allow the two pins through and have the ground plug that connects to the side straps on plug. Seems to work well but normal National double outlet box only has room for one (although still room for normal two pin US style plug).

I was getting shocked off my computer case. I reversed the plug thus changed the polarity and still get a light with my cheap little screwdriver tester when I touch the case. I was told the white common was SUPPOSED to be grounded at the pole. Obviously mine is NOT. The point being is that if you are in any position to do it you should make sure you have a separate ground. It's interesting that the ground wire I insisted on for my shower is red. LOL!

The reason you are getting a tickle off the computer case is not that the polarity is wrong or that the neutral is not grounded (actually an ungrounded neutral will mean you DON'T get a shock). Computers all have a mains inlet filter, these MUST be correctly grounded or the case will float at around 115 volts, not going to be lethal but rather unpleasant. Check the ground in your wall socket and make sure you have proper 3 pole connecting cables and dist. boards.

Or, the Thai way, "don't touch the case" :o

DC

I've been wondering what to do about this myself. I have a 'tickly' computer case, and after doing a bit of research on the Internet find that the voltage which can damage computer memory and other components is actually less than what is detectable by your bare hands- in other words, if you case is ticklish, probably your computer is already in the process of being damaged by the inappropriately high charge. Is my only choice to ask the condo to fix the problem or move out?

"Steven"

Steven.

Do you have 3 pole outlets?? Is the ground pin actually wired?? (have to look inside the socket, don't do it with the power on!!) Are you using PROPER 3 pole distribution boards (not the fake ones mentioned in another post)??

If yes to all three, get the condo to fix the problem. You might want to get one of the neon screwdriver testers (the one you put your finger on the end and it lights up on live), it will certainly light up on the computer case, could be useful to convince the "electrician" to do something.

Actually, the amount of leakage through the mains filter is very small, any ground (even a poor one) will remove the tickle, look for a water pipe like mine and run a wire from one of the case screws to it

DC

Hi Andy

DC

About 69 baht each in blister packs at Home Pro on Lat Phao Road last week. Have also bought in another type pack at Home Pro Ratchada in the past. They are white and cut out to allow the two pins through and have the ground plug that connects to the side straps on plug. Seems to work well but normal National double outlet box only has room for one (although still room for normal two pin US style plug).

Great, I'll look out for them, my local HomePro is Rangsit, fairly big so I stand a fair chance.

I had 3 pin sockets with grounded wiring installed when the electrical was done last August. I still get mild shocks off the computer case  :o  :D  Yet another thing to fix on a new house...

And you are using three pin plugs? Are you using an outlet strip or UPS between the wall outlet and computer? Try to plug computer directly to wall and see if that stops the shock. If that works there is a problem with the unit normally between computer and wall outlet.

You are sure this is an electrical shock from computer and not static electric charge from a carpet that you ground when you touch the computer case? Touch again without moving and if you get another shock it is unlikely to be static shock.