Coming To Jomtien

CelticBhoy

I'll be staying in Jomtien for 6 days mid-October

and would like some local info from anyone down

there. I've booked the 'Boathouse' as it's on the

beach and seems to have a good restaurant. I'll

be with my wife and 3 month old baby bhoy and

wondered where the best places for us to go are!

We'll be walking everywhere, so can you give me

some tips? Things to do, things to see, best bit of

beach, friendly bars etc? Cheers in advance for

any help.

Funny how some posts just slip through and disappear. I've had the same thing happen to me.

The Boathouse is a nice place and I believe they have an Elvis play there once a week.

The beach right outside your hotel is very nice and theres lots of space at the moment.

Plenty of bars and restaurants all within walking distance.

Baht bus goes right past you if you need to go anywhere further.

Elephant Park, Water Park, ATV etc are all close by so plenty to keep you entertained.

Have fun!

When you exit the boathouse, you have 2 choices, left and right. Right has more bars and restaurants. Left has more beach and tends to get a little cheaper as you move further down the beach.

There's lots to do, the list is almost endless -- just ask reception.

Rather than walk, you can jump on a baht bus. Charge is 10 baht per person anywhere along the beach, so you and your wife can make a trip for 40 pence in total. Baby should be free.

Enjoy your visit.

The restaurant at the boat house is good but not cheep, unfortunately Elvis died last year and unless they have found another he is no more.

The hotel and restaurant is owned by a Scandinavian group who own many hotels and restaurants in the area including the Residency Suits and the Captains Corner (Eat All You Can BBQ) down by the flyover.

Getting around is easy with the Baht buses passing the hotel, 10B should get you all the way to central Pattaya, coming back is not so easy as Baht Buses have no indication as to where they are going so you can not get one outside the Royal Gardens going to Jomtien, and if you ask the driver then he will charge you the "Taxi" rate.

The restaurant at the boat house is good but not cheep, unfortunately Elvis died last year and unless they have found another he is no more.

The hotel and restaurant is owned by a Scandinavian group who own many hotels and restaurants in the area including the Residency Suits and the Captains Corner (Eat All You Can BBQ) down by the flyover.

Getting around is easy with the Baht buses passing the hotel, 10B should get you all the way to central Pattaya, coming back is not so easy as Baht Buses have no indication as to where they are going so you can not get one outside the Royal Gardens going to Jomtien, and if you ask the driver then he will charge you the "Taxi" rate.

Just go to the queue at 2nd and South Pattaya Road. Those all go to Jomtien for 10 baht. If you are north of that, you will likely have to take a bus to get you there (runs south on Pattaya beach road). FROM the hotel to Pattaya, yes, you will usually be able to go as far north as Central Pattaya road (Pattaya Klang) for 10 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

If you like a nice beach you should go to Dongtan Beach. Turn right when you come out of the Hotel and walk along the Beach till Beachroad takes a right turn. There Dongtan Beach starts. No traffic, the sand part is bigger and you get shade from many trees. Dongtan Beach goes on for around 15 minutes walk.

There are some Gay People around, but also a good mix with other tourists nowadays. Boathouse is nice, I did stay there once and did enjoy my stay.

If you want to go a little further out you might want to consider a trip to the new Pattaya Floating Market located on Sukhumvit Road. My wife and I went last week. A number of places to eat and lots of shops. Prices seemed ok for an obvious tourist place. All the shops/restraunts are built over the water and are connected by walkways. They even offer boat rides around the market. I have a car so rarely use the bhat buses but I would think that you could hire one from the hotel for around 200 bhat. Not far from the market is the aquarium so if that interest you make a stop there on the way back.

Hi CB,

I have to confess I missed your original posts also. Pity its not late December you are coming to Jomtien. We could have watched the 2nd Old Firm game together.

I have lunch every day in Surfers Paradise Resturant I think it's called at the corner of Soi 6. Ladyfriend and I like the food there. We usually relax under the umbrellas across from Soi 2. But Dongtan Beach is also very nice and probably not plagued with as much hawkers as on the main beach. Far less traffic also.

Friends of mine from Bangkok stayed in Boathouse in late July. They were very satisfied.

Hope you have an enjoyable break. :)

Once again, thanks everyone for the heads-up.

We will take a look at Dongtan Beach for sure.

I like the sound of the 'floating market' also.

'Surfers Paradise' must be good then, Salty old son,

if you go every day! Far from my hotel? I'm looking

forward to a week of good 'farang' food. Big fry-ups,

pies, and everything that most people come to

Thailand to escape! Hope 'Surfers' has it.

CB,

A couple of hundred yards I would guess. But I never had particularly falang food there. A better place I would think would be the Ace Cafe near 7 eleven at the top of Jomtien Main Street (not the one near the beach). I went there one morning from View Talay 2 nearby purely for a change from porridge every morning. I had the biggest falang breakfast available and it was delicious but far too much. As I waddled back to the apartment I regretted not having a more sensible smaller portion. Its a bit too far for walking from Boat house unless you do not mind sweating. But you will find plenty places advertising an English (or Scottish) breakfast. :)

If you want to go a little further out you might want to consider a trip to the new Pattaya Floating Market located on Sukhumvit Road. My wife and I went last week. A number of places to eat and lots of shops. Prices seemed ok for an obvious tourist place. All the shops/restraunts are built over the water and are connected by walkways. They even offer boat rides around the market. I have a car so rarely use the bhat buses but I would think that you could hire one from the hotel for around 200 bhat. Not far from the market is the aquarium so if that interest you make a stop there on the way back.

Its a filthy stagnent cess pool ,full of bus loads of Asian tourists .Avoid at all costs . :)

Once again, thanks everyone for the heads-up.

We will take a look at Dongtan Beach for sure.

I like the sound of the 'floating market' also.

'Surfers Paradise' must be good then, Salty old son,

if you go every day! Far from my hotel? I'm looking

forward to a week of good 'farang' food. Big fry-ups,

pies, and everything that most people come to

Thailand to escape! Hope 'Surfers' has it.

If you want English farang food, try Simple Simon's Restaurant in soi 5, good breakfasts and dinners, only 5mins walk from Boathouse which is near soi 8.

They also sell pies, pasties, bacon, sausages even scotch eggs!

Edited by sotsira

I live in Jomtien. My recomendations are Maggie Mays on Soi Watboon. Good family bar with very good and cheap food.

Also, a bit further out, Nong Nook Gardens. You can spend a day there looking round the small zoo and gardens. They also have a good culteral show and elephant show.

There is also Pattaya Park with fairground rides and a big swimming pool with slides etc.

Hope you have a good time.

Chris

Its a filthy stagnent cess pool ,full of bus loads of Asian tourists .Avoid at all costs . :)

A bit of a harsh statement. Obviously you didn't enjoy yourself there. As far as loads of Asian tourist, well you do realize that you are in Asia? I dont think I would make repeated trips there but it's certainly worth a look.

I live in Jomtien. My recomendations are Maggie Mays on Soi Watboon. Good family bar with very good and cheap food.

Chris

Tried it and loved it. Pleasantly surprised with

everything down here so far. Especially the

weather. Managed to get to the beach every

day - and that's where we're headed right now.

Must have gained half a stone with all the eating

I'm doing!