Best Banks

dumbnewbie

Which banks offer the best deal on checking accounts for expats living in Thailand?

What are the terms you get at your bank? (no monthly fees? no ATM charges? interest rate? no minimum balance? free checks? free Visa or Mastercard debit/ATM card? etc.)

Also, what documentation was required to open your account? (i.e. - just a passport with a Thai tourist visa? Or a residence visa? Or proof of employment? proof of residence/local address? Thai drivers license? what?)

Does Thailand deduct taxes from your account?

Sorry, but your asking too many questions. Forget a checking account in Thailand. Why would you want one. Basically a savings account with an ATM card will do. No interest paid on savings account that you may withdraw money from. Interest is paid on and interest bearing account where you let the money sit for six months or a yr without any withdraws.

SCB in my opinion is the best bank to deal with in Thailand.

You must have a non immigrany visa, an address verification letter from immigration, and a copy of your passport. The ATM card will cost you 300 baht a year.

Barry

Try HSBC or Bangkok Bank. Both give interest on savings ( though not much of course) and they have not charged me annual atm card fees. In CM 10 baht atm fee from hsbc ( free in bangkok) no charge from bangkok bank

As far as I know, no checking accounts are issued to foreigners without a work permit.

I'm pretty sure that is true. From Bangkok Bank current account requirements.

How do I apply?

You will need to bring:

Thai Citizen ID card or another photo ID issued by the government.

Expatriates need to produce their passport and work permit.

10,000Bt minimum to open a current account.