Sondhi Limthongkul Gets Six Months For Libel

Rumfoord

Sondhi gets six months for libel

The Nation

Published on October 3, 2009

Sondhi Limthongkul, a leader of the yellow-shirt movement, suffered another legal blow yesterday when the Criminal Court sentenced him to six months in jail in a libel suit filed by former foreign minister Noppadon Patama.

It was the third conviction for the outspoken media mogul in less than a month.

Sondhi, co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, was found guilty of defaming Noppadon when he accused the former foreign minister of betraying the royal family by working as lawyer for former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

The court ruled that Sondhi's remark against Noppadon - recipient of a royally-sponsored scholarship - that he was even less grateful than His Majesty the King's dog, Khun Tongdaeng, was defamatory.

"The plaintiff has his basic rights to work as a lawyer for any person," said the ruling.

The court also ordered Sondhi's companies Thai Day Dot Com and Manager Media Group to pay a fine of Bt20,000 each for broadcasting his libellous remarks and distributing CDs containing video files of the programme containing the remarks.

Sondhi was released on a bail of Bt100,000. He had appealed the two previous libel cases that he lost early last month.

An appeals court last month reduced to six months the two-year jail term that Sondhi was given by a lower court in March 2008 for defaming former deputy transport minister Phumtham Wechayachai. The Criminal Court also sentenced Sondhi to two years in jail for defaming former central bank governor MR Pridiyathorn Devakula.

On hearing the sentence, Noppadon said he was "glad I received justice," the Agence France-Presse reported. "From now on, Sondhi must realise that he cannot go on making false claims against anyone in this country without being punished," he said.

Sondhi yesterday said he would accept leadership of the PAD's New Politics Party if the group's followers support him to take the post. "I am ready to do the job," he said.

The party, which now has Somsak Kosaisuk as its acting leader, is expected to hold a general meeting on Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation October 3, 2009

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/10/03...cs_30113667.php

Actually this little Hitler should be given the same fate as Thaksin.

Banish him and take away all his assets!

Remember that stunt of "being shot by 100 bullets" and surviving? I think the lying piece of s... should be given 10 years.

What a nasty piece of work. :)

It's ridiculous enough to throw out that kind of judgement and compare someone with Hitler, but to do it based on a personal dislike of a person is irresponsible and out of line.

If you want to make serious allegations against someone, be sure you can prove it. Otherwise keep it off the forum.

Be aware there are laws which protect judicial decisions from criticism.

If you want your post to live, don't include insults If you can't make an intelligent arguement without personal attacks, keep it to yourself.

I trust you got my message right.

Snollygosters, the lot of them. I hated Thaksin but when I saw the yellows unfurling the "Thailand not for sale" banner and that sincere but utterly misinformed American chap on TV....Ach, what is the bloody point? A whle ago I was chastised by a local shopkeeper for wearing a red with a bit of yellow Hulk Hogan T shirt. Pointing out it was to do with wrestling and not Thai politics cut no ice.

Do what you want to do, just dont send me the bill.

Actually this little Hitler should be given the same fate as Thaksin.

Banish him and take away all his assets!

Remember that stunt of "being shot by 100 bullets" and surviving? I think the lying piece of s... should be given 10 years.

What a nasty piece of work. :)

It's ridiculous enough to throw out that kind of judgement and compare someone with Hitler, but to do it based on a personal dislike of a person is irresponsible and out of line.

If you want to make serious allegations against someone, be sure you can prove it. Otherwise keep it off the forum.

Be aware there are laws which protect judicial decisions from criticism.

If you want your post to live, don't include insults If you can't make an intelligent arguement without personal attacks, keep it to yourself.

I trust you got my message right.

he is not Hitler, he is more like Jesus or something like this.

sondhijesus.jpg

or only a wannabe-jesus or whatever. the information that he got the third time a jail sentence in the last 4 weeks is not even newsworthy enough to appear in the particular subforum of this board. looks like he isn't important enough to get that 'honour'.

I am afraid to say that Thailand,s law and political scene is rapidly becoming an absolutely farce.( as if it wasn't bad enough allready!!) military,police,or senators and "elite" receiving "suspended sentences",appointments of trainee judges to oversee high profile court cases."national security" being used to fast track political opposition ect ect the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on,.......the only one who really gets it in the neck is poor Joe Public.

Edited by dee123

LOOK guys, I'm not a betting man,...BUT does anyone want a bet with me ? I bet that NONE of the hiso that Abhisit's reigeme is presently dragging through the courts,actually gets to go to the notorious dirty old cells like that the rest of the population would . Any takers? :) P.S. and that includes Thaksin!!!

Edited by dee123

Sondhi Elected as New Politics Party Leader

UPDATE : 6 October 2009

Key leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy Sondhi Limthongkul was elected as leader of the New Politics Party at the party's first general assembly today.

The New Politics Party held its first general assembly today at Thunder Dome, Muang Thong Thani, with key leaders and members of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, and party members attending. Most participants donned green shirts with the logo of the New Politics Party.

Interim party leader Somsak Kosaisuk was the person who called the general assembly after the party was registered and the legally required membership of 5,000 was achieved.

The main agenda was to elect new party leader and executive members as well as revise the party's regulations and policies. Moreover, the conference would also lay out the party's political strategies for the next four years.

Before the meeting began, New Politics interim leader Somsak Kosaikuk requested participants to mourn for those who lost their lives in the October 7, 2008 police crackdown on PAD protesters.

After that, Somsak announced his resignation in order to allow the general assembly to elect the new leader and new members of the executive board. Somsak then allowed party members to name candidates for the leader post.

PAD core leaders Sondhi Limthongkul, Major General Chamlong Srimuang and Somsak Kosaisuk as well as PAD key members Suriyasai Katasila and General Patompong Kaesornsook were among the nominees.

However, Suriyasai and Somsak forfeited the rights to contest while Major General Chamlong and General Patompong are not members of the party. As a result, Sondhi Limthongkul was the only candidate for the post.

Despite having only one candidate, the vote must still be carried out so as to get approval from at least 20 percent of party members present at the assembly as required by election laws.

The meeting also agreed to pick 25 members of the executive board, including Sondhi.

After being officially elected as New Politics leader, Sondhi nominated 12 executive members and other 12 were picked by party members at the assembly.

Sondhi's nomination received overwhelming support from the participants.

Major positions include Somsak Kosaisuk as deputy party leader, Suriyasai Katasila as secretary general, Saranyu Wongkrajang as deputy secretarty general, Vice Admiral Prateep Chuenarom as treasurer, Praphan Koonmee as executive member and Samran Rodpetch as party spokesman.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 6 October 2009

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData...?DataID=1019261